New recruit from southern IL

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 11146

New recruit from southern IL

Post by Sentry71 »

Hey all, my name is Gary, and I live in Shiloh, IL - jut outside St Louis, for those that may not know of our little town. I am originally from the Chicago area, but moved here to go to college, and ended up staying (and getting married, and having three girls).

I've been interested in Star Wars for many years, but recently thought about actually trying cosplay and trooping. A few years back, there were a few folks from the 501st at a local fire station for an event, and I thought, "That has to be a lot of fun." Now, I'm actually planning on being involved.

I look forward to reading through the forums, and hope to join the ranks of active troopers soon. Seems to be a very friendly and helpful place here!

Drk_Trooper
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 12079

Re: New recruit from southern IL

Post by Drk_Trooper »

Welcome, let us know what you're looking at doing and we can steal you the right way.

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Sentry71 »

Thanks, Drk_Trooper!

After reviewing a lot of information on FISD, I'm planning on a "standard" TK build.
I'm 5'7" and 175lb, so I'm still determining which armor would work best for me. There sure are plenty of options out there, it seems.
Not sure what other information might help at this point... definitely open to any and all suggestions.

bdc
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 77601

Post by bdc »

Hi Sentry, I'm also new here, and I'm about at the same stage as you are. I'm also going for the "standard" -- by which I think you mean ANH Stunt, at least that seems to be the most popular and widely available TK from what I've seen.

As a total newbie, my only advice is not to by shy about reaching out directly to the folks listed in Resources thread over on FSID, but to be patient (the wait times are likely going to be longer then you want, if you are as excited as I am to start building). I felt uncomfortable cold-emailing strangers at first, but everyone I've been in communication with is super nice and very helpful. I can't offer any first hand experience with any of the options, since my big brown box hasn't arrived yet.

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Sentry71 »

Hi bdc! Yep, I'm looking at the ANH Stunt armor for my first. Seems to be a popular choice. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience so far. I thought there might be a delay between ordering and receiving items, but it seems the wait is a bit longer than I expected. That's ok though, since I know it will be well worth the effort that is put into it. So far, I've only contacted one, but I will be sending the others messages soon.

I was hoping to be ready by Halloween - that's probably not realistic, as I am finding out through research. Maybe by the time Ep VII is out, I can be ready (with iconic Ep IV armor). We shall see.

Good luck on your journey as well!

G-force1
Imperial Recruit

Post by G-force1 »

Good luck, Gary on your trooper build. I was going to go that route at first, but I was able to find a group of 501st members , who I text or talk to regularly . I explained to them my financial issues they suggested a mando build. So I took there advice and ran with it, I'm currently building a little at a time but it will eventually happen. I went to my first armor party about two weeks ago and learned a lot and got some help. My build is going slow for money reasons but I will get him done. Oh by the way my name is also Gary. Good luck have fun.

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Sentry71 »

Good to meet another Gary. :D

Glad to hear your build is coming along, bit by bit. I read a few of your posts as well - best of luck getting things squared away to finish out the Mando, and I hope to catch you at one of the troops. I believe working as a handler is supposed to be another way to participate, without being "in uniform". Have you considered that possibility until your outfit is complete?

Thanks for replying!

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Sentry71 »

Approved!! TK-11146 reporting for Midwest Garrison duty. Looking forward to trooping with all of you!

Amarok
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 10126

Post by Amarok »

Congratulations! :D

Garrison Membership Liaison
Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

Well done, Trooper!
We need no longer fear the banana.

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1692

Post by Dirty Scout »

Welcome.
Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

G-force1
Imperial Recruit

Post by G-force1 »

Congratulations on getting your trooper together. I on the other have had one thing after another go wrong, family wise and most recently health wise. Had to put everything on hold for about six months now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Enjoy your time trooping, I've had to settle for just watching from a distance. A lot of bills from hospital and lack of health have sidelined me. Would still love to troop sometime, even if someone was gracious enough to let borrow one and tag along. Good luck on your journey. Thank u for replying and for your support. Almost down and out.

riverstormtrooper
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 71709

Post by riverstormtrooper »

The empire is always hiring!
Dustin Ebers
FISD TK 71709

I love wearing my bucket, it keeps the gray hairs hidden!