2 Newbies...advice welcome :)

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

dbraner
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

2 Newbies...advice welcome :)

Post by dbraner »

All:

First I want to commend all of you for the work you do. I have been a recipient of your charity work already. A few of your team came out to the 360 Youth Services Charity run to entertain the kids. Was much appreciated. For the past 7 years I have been on that charity's board. I recently rolled off of my term.

My wife and I have been looking to see if there is something we could join. We would like to work together towards a new cause.

We had been advised to consider starting simple by making a couple Jawa costumes. So we are looking to start that journey.

Would love to hear ideas/feedback/wisdom or whatever else is appropriate at this time!

Dave & Cathy

Vreedonsett
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 13140

Re: 2 Newbies...advice welcome :)

Post by Vreedonsett »

Hi guys,
If you need help there is a vast experience of knowledge here at your disposal. Welcome aboard at will troop with you soon.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 51114

Post by Chills »

Welcome to the board!

Jawas are cool, but what costume really speaks to you? I think one of the hardest parts is deciding on a first costume.

dbraner
Imperial Recruit

Post by dbraner »

Chills wrote:Welcome to the board!

Jawas are cool, but what costume really speaks to you? I think one of the hardest parts is deciding on a first costume.

Fair question. We actually put some thought into this. First and foremost we wanted to do something together. So having something that worked for both of us was a requirement. We also understand that Jawas are pretty much free spirits and they can have a lot of fun at the gatherings/outings. We both like to have fun and could see them fitting our personalities. Lastly we wanted to get involved sooner than later with a reasonable entry cost associated with the first set of costumes.

From what I understand, Jawas are fairly easy to make and are not too expensive.

Longer term, there are other costumes that could seem fun, but we just need to have more experience to see how practical they would be.

Does the above logic make sense? Maybe we should be considering something else? Open to ideas here.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 51114

Post by Chills »

Pretty sound logic to me. Plus, everyone loves seeing Jawas a troops!

Have you signed up for the Denizen's detachment board? If not, they can help you out with the specifics of your costume. Kim, board name Coin, is one of the officers over there and a member of this garrison. She's pretty knowledgeable and I bet would point you in the right direction to get started.

Start practicing your Jawaease. Utini!!

EDIT: found Kim's board name.

Coin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 12108

Post by Coin »

All of the above makes sense, But you do have all of Star Wars to choose from,

Jawas are pretty awesome, I have a preference to Tuskens and its Common knowledge that if you follow my steps you can do that for 40-60$ imperial officers can be done very inexpensively If you can sew and follow instructions at the around 100$ mark..., Imperial crewmen and reserve tie pilots also can be done inexpensively as long as you can sew or trade other skills for sewing.......also around the 100$..and with the reserve pilot you have the makings for a tie pilot that you just need the bucket and chest box down the road........

if you want input and suggestions we need to know how hands on you want to be and how talented you are with a dremmel heat gun and sewing machine

but when you do decide the best advice i can give you is join the detachment your costume belongs to and make friends and ask around there.....
the detachments are specificly set up to support building and sourcing costumes...... if you decide Jawa the Krayt Clan is where you want to be http://www.kraytclan.com

and as Chills said Im the Executive Officer over there so feel free to ask away, I can direct you pretty well
DZ-12108
Kim Worley

TKay-Tee
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 43033

Post by TKay-Tee »

Welcome!! My husband and I just finished our TK armor and were accepted into the 501st this past weekend. YES, it is AWESOME to be able to have a hobby you can share. In fact, our 8 year old wants to be a jawa, so we are looking into costumes for her.

We are already having so much fun and look forward to meeting you soon. :)
Katie
TKay-Tee
(TK43033)