Ready to order my armor...

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 51114

Ready to order my armor...

Post by Chills »

So I spent a lot of time the past week reading as much as I could about the various uniforms that interest me (TIE pilot, AT-AT driver, TK) I've decided my first build will definitely be TK armor. I'm aiming for the ESB version and I have a goal of obtaining EIB certification. I emailed ATA and AP and decided to go with AP armor. So I'm all set to order but I hit a snag.....

My wonderful and understanding wifey put her foot down and doesn't think I should drop that much cash while we have plans to travel to Charleston, Seattle, then again to Spain next spring. I was not happy, and I moped for a day. So I started thinking, what if I got rid of some stuff around the house I don't need anymore. I used to be a real avid mountaineer, but since a mishap in Mexico I am unable to do anything really high. I have a lot of high altitude and expedition gear laying around so I asked her if I come up with 2/3rd of the cash could I order? She capitulated, and I spent all evening tonight throwing stuff on eBay. Avalanche transceiver, mountaineering snowshoes, crampons, snow pickets, probe poles.... You get the point. Now my fingers are crossed for good prices on these things. The auctions end on the 26th, and I hope to place an order for TK armor on that day!

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Re: Ready to order my armor...

Post by Chills »

I put 10 items on eBay Sunday evening. Two sold for the buy it now price after a couple of hours. Two more items have lots of bids, and are approaching the original buy it now prices. One more item just got an initial bid.

So after 2 days I'm halfway to the funds I need. :D

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

Good luck with the rest. I've been in the same situation and I was able to get armor. It took a little longer than I hoped, but I got it.
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Thanks, SL.

I am happy to report that I've broken the threshold for the armor order!

But before I do I want to get together with gazmosis. He lives near me and has offered to give me some pointers before I get started.

I hear he makes a really nice holster.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

I met up with gazmosis today; dude really is a treasure-trove of knowledge! After much discussion I decided to go with troopermaster armor. I PMed the owner and placed my order this afternoon! I'm going with the ANH Stunt helmet, too.

Now to start ordering the other elements.

I can hardly wait!

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Put in my order for the boots from TKboots. There's a 12-week waiting period!! But I've been told it's worth it and it'll take at least that long to finish up my armor.

Ordered the under suit. Went with Russell athletic baselayer from Amazon. Top and bottom should be in today, so I'll see how well it fits. I have a lot of this type of clothing already, but none of it on black.

And ordered the neck seal from Darman. He said it should take a week or so to get it shipped.... not that I'm in any rush. LOL

Holster... being patient on that one; I want to buy one from gazmosis.

Gloves - just gotta run by Home Depot.

E-11 - Not even sure how to start this one. I see a lot of posts about Doopydoos on FISD. Is that the recommended kit to buy?

dravin
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 24543

Post by dravin »

Hey Chills I'm also on the twelve week waiting list for TKboots.com but I hope to have most of my armor completed by the time they arrive. I got a neck seal from Darman too and it is perfect. I'm still trying to figure out the best route to go for the E-11 too so I'll be interested to see what you decide to do. Good luck with your build.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Hi Dravin. I hope it's now 11 weeks until I get my boots. LOL

My neck seal should be here tomorrow, looking forward to trying it on. I also put in an order for a voice amp, went with an Aker.

There are quite a few choices for blasters out there. I talked to gazmosis and I'm going to go with a doopydoos kit. They are out of stock right now, which seems to be a running theme with TK stuff. lol I'm not in a rush to get the blaster since it's not necessary for 501st admission, but I'll need it for an application for centurion status. I'll still put my order in once they are back in stock. The company is in the UK and the British Pound is at one of its lowest points against the dollar. ;)

How much longer until you get your armor in?

dravin
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 24543

Post by dravin »

I have my armor and have been trimming and sanding whenever I have the time. Started working on the bucket today long road to go until I am officially 501st approved but I am indeed on my way. Cool purchase with the Aker I have been looking at one of those myself along with the Icomm for static bursts but right now I am just trying to get my armor completed minus the boots of course. I'll also keep my eyes out for the resupply of doopydoos sounds like that is the way to go. Take care and good luck with your build.

FettMan22
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 71613

Post by FettMan22 »

If you guys want a blaster a bit quicker than the doppydoos I can't recommend these enough http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/2 ... e-and-esb/
It's a pipe build with resin parts cast from an actual sterling smg and the current owner of the molds who is doing the runs is continuing to improve it with every run he does. I got one for my Snowtrooper and absolutely love it. It's a bit more work than the doopys but it's also more accurate and it was a fun build as well.
Dylan Van Horn
DZ/IC/TI-71613
Nar Shaddaa Base
Jek Porkins-Outlaw Squadron
Tusken Raider

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

Home Depot for gloves? I hope you don't mean the rubber gloves. While these are accurate, they don't breathe. Your hands will sweat like crazy. I found some Under Armour gloves with a long gauntlet and they have a nice sheen,so they look like rubber.
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Thanks for the link, Fettman. That's a pretty cool looking kit. I haven't bought an E-11 kit, yet, so I'll definitely look into this one a bit more.

SL9965: yeah, the rubber gloves from HD. I planned on getting them for Centurion certification. But for actual trooping I was going to use a pair of black nomex gloves I currently own. I know how hot rubber gloves can get. I used to have to wear them in the Army when in our chemical suits. Ugh! Just the memory of being in MOPP-4, in August, in southern New Mexico, makes me sweat.

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 265

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

Go with military nomex flight gloves for normal use and the rubber chemical gloves for your FISD photos.
If you can't get a Hyperfirm try this new british sterling:
http://www.evike.com/products/50076/

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Thanks for the link, TK265. That's a bit out of the price range I'm looking at.

I actually went ahead and ordered a Doopydoos kit. It'll be more work, but I'm ok with that. That TM armor soaked up a lot of the budget I had for my TK uniform.

The Nomex gloves I have are similar to the military ones. I'll check with Gazmosis to make sure they're TK -ok. :)

Still waiting on my armor. I know you all probably went through this, but the anticipation is tough! Especially since Paul said he'll be able to get me in his January schedule. That means he'll be done soon.... I hope! Thank goodness I have these boards to read and the "how to" threads on FISD to go through.

I got my workshop all ready. Cleared out all of the scrap material from finishing my basement, took out the single "basement bulb" light and put in 4 LED can lights. Its so bright in there now!

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 52610

Post by MusicalJedi »

Chills wrote:Thanks for the link, TK265. That's a bit out of the price range I'm looking at.

I actually went ahead and ordered a Doopydoos kit. It'll be more work, but I'm ok with that. That TM armor soaked up a lot of the budget I had for my TK uniform.

The Nomex gloves I have are similar to the military ones. I'll check with Gazmosis to make sure they're TK -ok. :)

Still waiting on my armor. I know you all probably went through this, but the anticipation is tough! Especially since Paul said he'll be able to get me in his January schedule. That means he'll be done soon.... I hope! Thank goodness I have these boards to read and the "how to" threads on FISD to go through.

I got my workshop all ready. Cleared out all of the scrap material from finishing my basement, took out the single "basement bulb" light and put in 4 LED can lights. Its so bright in there now!
The waiting can be brutal! Sounds like you are doing all the right things though in getting your workspace prepared and doing research on the forums. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Thank MJ. I plan on taking lots of pictures and posting them. I don't see many TM builds on FISD, but I suspect all the builds are pretty similar. Knowik will be getting her armor in around the same time as me, she went with AP, so there will be a couple of build threads starting in February.

I'm really looking forward to trooping and seeing how the other uniforms look and are put together. I've been so focused on TK armor that I almost forgot there are so many others out there!

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Well, I just heard from TM and it looks like my armor will be shipped in the next week!

So excited!!! I can't wait to get that big brown box and start my build thread.

I also heard from Doopydoos, and my E-11 kit was shipped last Friday.

I've got my Aker, neck seal, under suit, holster, and belt (much thanks to Gaz for the last two).

Now to decide about the boots: whether to wait for TKboots, go with Imperial boots, or get some commercial ones and turn them white.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Well, it's been almost a month since my last post. In that month there were delays and more delays with my E-11, boots, and armor.

First, Doopydoos delayed shipping my blaster, but it arrived about a week ago. I haven't begun the build on it, yet, but I hope to start this weekend. There's a lot more involved than I thought. LOL

Second, TKboots had some issues with their supplier, but I went ahead and ordered them anyway (couldn't beat the price). So my boots will arrive on the 10th.

Finally, my armor. After weeks and weeks of delays the big brown box was shipped a couple of days ago! I'm tracking it as it comes across the Atlantic to Chicagoland.

Stay tuned for a build thread!

MaxPowerX360
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 72132

Post by MaxPowerX360 »

Congrats! I'm in the fitting and strapping phase of my ATA armor...just need to find the time between work and all my other projects.

Coin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 12108

Post by Coin »

Ok boys, I expect to see you trooping soon
DZ-12108
Kim Worley