Hi from Naperville!

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 51114

Hi from Naperville!

Post by Chills »

Hey MWG, my name is Chris Hills and I'm excited to have found this group. I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan and have been wanting to join the 501st for a number of years, now. This last weekend my wife, daughter, and I went to the LEGO exhibit at Cantigny and I met a few of the 501st MWG members. The TIE pilot gave me his card (which I don't have ATM) and suggested I look you all up. That got me motivated to start seeing what I had to do to join.

I've been reading the FAQs and welcome pages and I want to start building my uniform right away. I'm a little torn about which direction to go; maybe the wisdom of the board can help. I've always been a fan of the Battle of Hoth, so I am leaning toward a snow trooper or AT-AT driver uniform, but there's just something so awesome and iconic about the classic TK stormtrooper armor. Unless you all recommend against it I think I'll start with that direction. Thoughts?

Looking forward to meeting fellow Imperials and seeing all the awesome creations you guys have.

Sarlacc
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 11222

Re: Hi from Naperville!

Post by Sarlacc »

Welcome Chris! I've never built either of those costumes but Steve Gaza is a wealth of information and he has been very helpful to me in the past. Also, check out FISD (First Imperial Stormtrooper Divison) for Stormtrooper builds. I hope to meet you soon.
Paul Machnick
"Sarlacc"
BH-11222
pmachnick@msn.com

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Hi Paul. Everyone actually calls me "Chills." It stuck with me when I was a kid.

Thanks for the advice. I checked out FISD and there's SO much on that page. A bit overwhelming for a beginner, but I'm starting to sift through it all.

Do you solely have the Fett costume?

I found the card for the TIE Pilot. I met RulerMaul, TI-36285, among a few other TK guys.

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

Hey Chills, welcome to the boards.

You have quite a few of us around your neck of the woods.

My only recommendation is, take your time. Find out what all is out there before deciding. When I was loking, I think i joined like 6 different detachment boards and read thru them before I ended up building my TK (Stormtrooper)

The garrison is full of great people willing to help or answer questions, so fire away.

Here's the list of the detachments page

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUni ... etachments

that gives a break down of all the groups.

again welcome, and good luck.
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Sakic Jade
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 52809

Post by Sakic Jade »

Agree with Woulff, do I. Take your time. You don't want to get builders remorse by picking the wrong costume.

Welcome, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
"The choices of one shape the futures of all."

scout.trooper
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 87589

Post by scout.trooper »

Hey, Chills!

Nice to meet you... again! I was actually at the Cantigny Toys For Tots event on Sunday... were you wearing a Boba Fett hoodie...? I was the scout trooper with the Santa hat on.

I'm glad you had a great time at the event and am thrilled you decided to join the 501st. As for the uniform, I say go with whatever speaks to you personally. I chose a scout because I absolutely loved how they looked in ROTJ... and they ride awesome speeder bikes. I would always ride my bike and pretend I was a scout. I'm gonna be a total cheese ball and say that the character chose me :roll:

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Hi Woulf and Sakic. Thanks for the advice. After reading your posts I actually went and signed up for the Jolly Roger and Armored Cav detachments. I looked around and I REALLY want to build a TIE and AT-AT driver suit... eventually. I keep coming back to the TK armor. It is just so SW and iconic. I see myself building multiple suits... That's not too crazy is it?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Scout trooper! Dude, I saw you there. I Was actually the guy with the bright red Arc'teryx jacket. I had my 5 month old daughter and my wife with me. When I got my pic with RulerMaul you had walked to one of the back rooms. When I went back and got pics with the TK guys you were back with RulerMaul. If you look at the 3rd pic you're there in the background. :D

Your uniform is pretty awesome. My brother and I grew up in the mountains and we'd race through the woods pretending we were on speeder bikes. I'd like to see your uniform up close.

scout.trooper
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 87589

Post by scout.trooper »

Yea, I saw you there! I think I was taking a quick water break at that time. Hydration is key to trooping success!
I think you're like the second or third recruit who posted this week from Naperville so you're definitely not alone. Perhaps an armor parts is in order...?

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

I felt like a goofy kid asking to get my picture taken with you guys. LOL I can't wait to do appearances like the one at Cantigny.

How often do people from this garrison get together?

Yeah, there are a number of troopers here in Naperville. One of the FISD officers is just up the road from me; gazmosis is his name, I believe. He's offered to get together with me to help me get started on my suit.

So I'm all set to order my armor.... sort of. I made a thread about it in the Armory forum, but TL;DR: made a deal with the wife to sell some unused gear from other expensive hobbies before I can start this one. If all goes well I'll have my armor ordered by the end of the week.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

All went very well selling some of my mountaineering gear. I placed my order for TM armor this afternoon!

Now the waiting game begins. :D

Coin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 12108

Post by Coin »

Gazmosis is who EVERYONE goes to no matter where they live, your in good hands, I think you should go classic while researching a tribute to your name sake Cjhills, you need AT-AT or snowy armor
DZ-12108
Kim Worley

BlackSun51
Garrison Webmaster
Garrison Webmaster
501st Legion ID: 41551

Post by BlackSun51 »

Welcome Chills,

Gazmosis is the man when it comes to TK armor, if he ends up helping you with your build I am sure I will see you at the Gaza workshop. I seem to spend a fair amount of time there. :blink:

I look forward to watching your build and trooping with you in the near future!

-Eric

:bucketsoff:
-Eric Werner

Duty. Honor. Empire.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Chills »

Hi Kim. You are absolutely right! I am already a member of the ACD board and have been researching a TA suit, too. I think it would be quite fitting since I'm a real cold-weather lover and I used to be in the Armored Cavalry as an M1-A1 driver/loader back in my days in the Army. :D Ideally I'd have a TA suit finished in time for next winter.

Thanks Eric! Yeah, you'll probably see me over at Gaza's place. I originally planned on having to do the whole build solo, but it looks like everything about trooping is a community experience, even the build! So I'll gladly work on my armor with others building and trooping.

BTW, the MWG has been really great welcoming this newbie into its ranks. I can't wait to start trooping with everyone!