Moderator: Garrison Officers

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 1951

Il-Camp Quality 8-8-08

Post by Schph Gochi »

First let me warn you that this Mission Report is likely to be long as there are so many people to thank and so much information to give you.

Camp Quality is an International organization dedicated to give children under 18 a chance to go to camp for a week and just be a kid....not a kid with cancer.

The Midwest Garrison was contacted over a year ago to come out to Camp Quality in Frankfort IL to help entertain the kids on their last day of camp 2008. In that year I have learned a lot about Camp Quality, and learned a lot more yesterday. We were contacted by John Allen from the Romeoville Police Department (veteran Camp Quality Volunteer) and he heard about our group from one of the managers at a Brunswick Fun Zone that we had done a child's party at. The manager was blown away by the response to us at the Fun Zone and said she would always remember our appearance there.

As noted, this was a year long preparation. I volunteered to be event coordinator as the Camp was near where I live. I immediatly thought it would be a great idea if we could provide each child with a toy. I posted for toy donations from our members and began to write to different toy manufacturers. I was turned down by all of the manufacturers ....with the exception of Hasbro/Milton Bradley. Our members, as always came through.

This was the result:

More piled up after this photo was taken.

Where we had a lot of toys for younger children we thought that perhaps gift cards would be better for the older ones so that they could purchase what they liked. Enter Stephanie Hicks (TK9052). Stephanie contacted a local business in Schererville IN and set up a fundraiser. Members of the 501st, Rebel Legion and Jedi Assembly were scheduled to be on hand at the Quest Bar and Restaurant for photos and a raffle. All proceeds went to purchased gift cards. Stephanie even donated her TK bucket to the raffle, I sewed a Jedi robe and had a R2 snack bowl in the raffle. We also had two CIII Vaders (courtesy of Mike Plesha - SL356) in the raffle. All told, we netted over $800.00. The mission report from Quest appears here:

http://www.midwestgarrison.org/forum/vi ... php?t=8534

Before I go further...
at this time I would like to thank other toy contributors that donated copious amounts of toys:

Mike Plesha (SL356) donated a HUGE amount of Star Wars toys
Cheryl Whitaker TI3127 donated 68 stuffed animals along with several other boxes of toys.
Cherri Kryzowski (TI4026) and
Edward Kryzowski (TI4438) donated several large bags of toys
Ron Mitchell of the Bloodfin Garrison sent up another large bag of toys
Rebel Marlyn C donated some great items for girls
Vicki Silva (TI7118) also keyed in on toys for girls

I apologize right now if I forgot anyone...there was just so much to remember.

The toys and gift cards were delivered to Camp Quality last week on the day before camp was to begin. I gave everything to the Camp Director (My Jeep was full - top to bottom and front to back). I left the choices of distribution to her. She reported to me that all of the boys got at least 3 action figures with an additional larger toy and all of the girls got several items.

Now that we had toys...it was what to do during our visit to Camp Quality. I have done many BD parties so I decided to adapt the "Target Shoot" indoor game to the outdoors. I made targets out of plywood for two teams - The Imperials and the Rebels. The Imperial team (wearing my Officer hat) would shoot at the Rebel target and the Rebel Team (wearing my spare RFT helmet) would shoot at the Imperial target. Each "shooter" got 10 nerf projectiles to see as many points as he could get..point values ranged from 1 to 3 points:

one of the targets during set up:

The winner got bragging rights and a certificate that I made up on the computer...one for each team to the highest score:

The Imperial Sharpshooter:

The Rebel Sharpshooter:

Our members assembled right on time and suited up....where we had to make some revisions in our schedule due to last minute changes and updates from Camp, our members took it in stride and went with the flow.

This final day of Camp is huge for the kids. In addition to our visit, they had a big dance in the evening so a lot of the girls didn't make the Target Shoot as they were getting the "princess treatment" by volunteer hair dressers and nail artists for their big dance.

The Target Shoot wrapped up and we moved to "Hot Thermal Detonator ...I had my back to the group as I was manning the CD player...when I hit pause and the music stopped...whoever had possesion of the detonator was out. I laughed everytime the music stopped because all I heard was a lot of groaning behind me...the two final contestants got one each of the super soakers from Hasbro.

While the games were going on Jim and Emily DeJan were applying temporary tattoos to anyone who wanted them.

After we were all done with the games....we began to get packed up...but ...before we left we got thanked by one of our contacts at Camp. She gave me the "Thank you" photo from all of the Campers and let me know that the gift cards that we donated would help to purchase items for the Campers for 2009. All of the people that "work" at Camp Quality are volunteers and they know best what the needs are. Other items of note is that each of the Campers has a volunteer companion who is with their child 24/7 for the entire week of camp. These volunteers are completely AWESOME!!

Also of note...there were two children who we did not get to meet...they passed away just this past week. I don't think I need to tell anyone what sadness this brings.

Another note...
Each of the cabins gets to choose an event during camp to have a photo taken...one of the cabins chose to wait for us....so this photo is of that cabin's children and their companions....thanks guys!

And now for the final Thank You....to our participants...many of you traveled great distances....took vacation days....went with the flow...
displayed great heart and generosity....and ...well...you rock!

Participants (and gods and godesses imho):

Rich Markle (SL1781) Darth Vader
Rudy Grasha(BH3620) Boba Fett
Cheryl Whitaker (TI3127) RFT Rebel Legion/Jedi Assembly
Kent Heath (TK1692) RFT
Vicki Silva (TI7118) Tie Pilot
Ed Silva (TK4544) Sandtrooepr
Patrick Engle (TK6312) Stormtrooper
Cherri Kryzowski (TI4026) Tie Pilot
Edward Kryzowski (TI4438) Tie Pilot
Jim DeJan (TI3853) Support - Tatoos
Emily DeJan (TI1802) Support - Tatoos
Raymond Hartsock (TK1397) Stormtrooper
Ed Pekin Stormtrooper -freelance
Pat Phinney Jedi - The Jedi Assembly/Rebel Legion
Kelly Semande New Recruit - Death Star Gunner
Phyllis Schulte (TK1951) RFT -Rebel Legion/Jedi Assembly

After we were done...those that could come were invited to my house for beer and pizza....I am sorry that not all could make it...and thank those that did come...it was nice to sit back, relax, and shoot the breeze.

I chose this photo so the rest of you could see the garden... :D

One final note....before we left the Camp Director gave me a copy of last years Camp Yearbook and said when the 2008 Yearbook is published she will send me a copy....after looking at the 2007 book...our group should have a lot of photos.....and I will share it with all when it arrives.

These are my photos...they document the entire journey from the arrival of the first toys....through the little gathering at my house afterward..

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... %208-8-08/
Last edited by Schph Gochi on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4438

Post by TI4438 »

Great report Phyllis.Excellent way to wrap up a fantastic troop.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

I added the most important photo at the top...
and a photo of a certain Tie Pilot trying to disguise himself as my R2...
:wink:

As everyone gets their photos loaded..
please post your links in this thread and the one at the main site:

http://www.501stforums.com/forum/viewto ... 622#371622

and make sure to feature some of your favorites..

Thanks for your photos Rich...
and make sure to post your link here too...

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TI4438 »

I wasn't trying to disguise myself folks.I just hate carrying stuff.

dad vader
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1781

Post by dad vader »

I have to say that of all the events I have done,this one will go down as one of my favorites....

For many reasons,but most importantly,the way I felt when the kids came up and thanked us for being there.

To all of those that made it out I say,"YOU GUYS ROCK".

Phyllis,and Steph...Everything that you guys did was the best....We are truly lucky that you gals give everything of yourselves the way you do.

Those people at the camp were fantastic....and stacy looked like she was ready to fall over in exhaustion,they deserve a lot of praise for everything they do for those kids.

Thanks for the get together after the event.that was as much fun as the actual event...

Here are my pics...As always if any one needs them feel free to grab them off the photobucket site...If you need the high res versions of them contact me and I'll send you them...
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/ ... lity%2008/

Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3127

Post by Whinter »

I can't tell you how glad I was to be able to make this event! What a wonderful bunch of kids! They are so special and so much fun! I'm so thankful that we were able to bring them whatever little bit of happiness we could.

Phyllis & Stephanie - You guys are INCREDIBLE! You both did an absolutely AMAZING job!! Thanks so much!

Then, to top it off by relaxing with everyone afterwards at Phyllis's house... It was truly a perfect day. I REALLY enjoyed just sitting around with all of you to just relax and chat. That was priceless. I hope we can all do it again soon!!
:grouphug:

Now.... my few pics...
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x273 ... ?start=all

edlitmus
501st Member
501st Member

Post by edlitmus »

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TI4438 »

From what Cherri says,that extra bucket I brought for the kids to play with was a big hit.I can't say I watched it like a hawk,so I don't really know.Can't see squat while wearing my helmet.Cherri played soccer for a bit with a couple of kids (in the sun) and got a bit overheated,so she ditched her bucket early.She could see a lot more of what was going on than me.Either way,I'll tote it along whenever it might come in handy.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

Yes, I did see a lot of kids try on the bucket....thank you for bringing it along!

I almost forgot...
I know that mostly everyone turned in their "Day Volunteer" forms, but in case you forgot to do so you can still mail it in to:

Camp Quality Illinois
PO Box 641
Lansing, IL 60438

cplBear
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by cplBear »

That looked like it was an awesome troop gang ! Thanks go out to ALL that attended . I'm certain you all Brightened up those Kid's day .

Now.........2 Photo Observations.
1 ] Finally i see Kent in his RFT . GREAT !
2 ] Why was Jim portraying a Bagpiper ? :P
p.s..........Just ribbin ya Old Man !

3 ] Phyllis .............That backyard garden looks Sweeeeeet ! I am growing mainly weeds in mine . :shock:
Mud hole! My home this is - Yoda

IN6951 Imperial Navy Trooper .

Darth Raizzar
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6312

Post by Darth Raizzar »

Awesome Troop, Awesome Troopers, Great kids! 8)

I'll post a link to my pictures when I get them up on "the bucket", I got a pretty good one of Rudy playing bean bags. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TI4438 »

If I have one regret,it would be that I didn't get even more involved with the kids.I thought we would have more time than we did.
Speaking of the extra bucket,it was cool how the TK's and TD's came running over for pics from all directions when I plopped the helmet on several kids and handed them my blaster.It was a sight to see.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

Same here...I wish I had spent more time with the kids....
..I seem to be always so busy with the small details that I sometimes forget the "big picture"....
I seem to make that same mistake whenever I am coordinator....
I spend my time with minutia....and worrying about this...that...and the other thing...and sometimes forget to have fun...
but...
I did have fun....and...
as you all know....some things broke my heart...
but I am ever greatful that all of you know how to make the day roll along and know how to have fun!

And YES..,....it was GREAT to see Kent in his RFT...
I hope that he does decide to join the Rebel Legion...
but I was so glad to have him in RFT because he was such a big help during the target shoot......it always helps to have folks that can see and hear well..

Thanks also to Pat Phinney who was our Statistician...
she was juggling all of paperwork of registering all the kids...putting them into a team...AND keeping all the scores.....after that she was busy with the kids and letting them play with her lightsabers..

Thank you Pat!

And...
lol..
lest we not forget to thank Ed Pekin...who ran to the store to pick up the Beer...
we are not worthy...
we are not worthy.....
we are not worthy.......

:D

Targ
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 3853

FYI

Post by Targ »

I'll have you know that I was wearing the tartan of the 501st Kilted Brigade! :lol: I had just received it a few days before and my sporan hadn't arrived as of yet so I used my Darth Nihilius belt.
I am sure there are a few ladies that are very happy that I wasn't going "commando" after that little incident with the picnic table. I'm bit sore today, more so than yesterday, but fine.
We had a great time both at the event and after :toast: :rotflmao: :grouphug: . Our thanks to our Peoria Contingent, Brad, Kent and Kelly! and you guys think We live far away.
Thank you Phyllis and everyone it was great to see you all, this was a great event. I hope we can do it again next year. [smilie=goodjobkc7.gif]
I'll get the film edited in post-production and see what we can do with it.
Served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
Now serves as Mentor,
and Shadow Commander.

hopeful recruit
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by hopeful recruit »

Nice to see it went well.

I wish I could've made it, but with nobody willign to carpool with me, it woudl've been difficult.

I hope to troop this next year, should be able to drive myself to events by then :lol:
"Those who never take risks never know what could have been."

MusicTrooper
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 14121

Post by MusicTrooper »

Much thanks to all and especially Phyllis
for this most worthwhile opportunity to troop
and for hosting a fun and relaxing after party :D

Looking forward to next time:-)

Ed Pekin

Wonder if armor is allowed in the pool......
Just A Trooper_________Image

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TI4438 »

Targ + Going Commando = MAD CHICK ACTION!!!!!!

Darth Raizzar
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6312

Post by Darth Raizzar »

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

Last bits of business handled..

TOD sent
and
Hasbro thanked...

:wink:

SparkMark1
Imperial Recruit

Post by SparkMark1 »

Just wanted to extend my thanks for you guys coming out to the camp. I am one of the companions and the kids had such a blast with everyone. Thanks for letting us take our cabin picture with you too. (Hint: I'm the one in the star wars shirt!) As soon as I saw the 501st on our weekly activity sheet, I knew it would be a very unique cabin picture.

Thanks again!