Greetings from a new recruit

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

vanuhitman
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Greetings from a new recruit

Post by vanuhitman »

Hi everybody, I'm Glenn from Green Bay, WI, and I would like to join you guys. I have seen the 501st march at Star Wars Weekends at Disney MGM studios, and have been a Star Wars fan since I was about 6.

So, here's the thing... I lack a film quality costume. I am in the market for one, with a limited budget. I've been told that Imperial crewman or officer would be a nice costume to try for on a budget, but I was hoping to go for something a lil' more fancy... or at least something with a fancy hat. :)

So, I have abandoned my dreams of buying any type of trooper, or TK, as I heard you guys call it. Instead, I figure Gunner or TIE pilot would be cheaper.

I have heard of the infinite Star Wars wisdom you guys possess, and I was wondering if a few of you could maybe give me some prices. I have no experience fabricating or costume-making, so I would probably have to buy it all. If its something with a jumpsuit, I may be able to find something at a local Army-Navy surplus store.

So... suggestions for costume on a budget, anyone?
I put the laughter in slaughter!

badmommy
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 5202

Post by badmommy »

Welcome to the group! You are correct in that the members here have a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to putting a professional looking costume here.

As far as lacking funds, I should warn you that costuming is expensive :D Besides the initial cost of the costume, we pay for our own gas, food, babysitting services, etc when events come up not to mention all the upgrades like fans that you will want.

I wouldn't look at which costume is least expensive for you but what costume you really want to do. My husband bought TK armor only after his boss graciously gave out a bonus one year (he was 32 years old and had been wanting to be a Sandtrooper since he was about 8 ). I have to tell you that even though it is costly, he has gotten more than his money back with all the times he has worn it. I always kid him that it is his favorite toy. :D

In fact, I am currently trying to convince him to sell his snowmobile and buy some other armor :lol:

So look around our photo gallery of members or check out the Legion's and find the bad guy costume that best fits you!
http://www.501st.com/members/members.cfm

:welcome:
Last edited by badmommy on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind, don't smoke, be prompt, smile a lot, eat sensibly, avoid cavities, mark your ballot carefully, avoid too much sun, mail overseas packages early, love all creatures above and below, insure your belongings, and try to keep the ball low

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

Greetings, Glenn!

Badmommy is right on the mark in that there isn't really a standard "cheap" costume. Even though something like the TIE pilot may seem like it'd be lower in cost, there is a lot that go into them. Mine, for example, has run me about $600 so far in the 3 years that I've owned it -- just about as much as a Stormtrooper.

We try to go for accuracy and quality, so "cheap" unfortunately doesn't cut it. But when the upgrades and modifications are done over time, it doesn't seem as bad ;)

Imperial Crew would be a simpler costume to put together, but there are certain details that have to be adjusted -- there's more than just "put on a jumpsuit, boots, gloves, and hat," as the jumpsuit would have to be altered with the correct collar, zipper, and pockets to match those seen in the movies.

Best thing to do is to pick the costume you WANT to do and just sock money away here and there. In the meantime, come out to events where we'll be in your area, introduce yourself, and just start learning. Many events require non-costumed helpers so once everyone gets comfortable with each other and how things work, even the assistance of a prospective member is invaluable (like directing Darth Vader around a little kid to avoid running over him!).

And by the time you have the money saved up, you'll have an army of people able to help you out in getting the parts and putting it all together.

If you're interested in seeing what specifically goes into each costume, check out the 501st's Detachments -- those are like focus groups that study one or a few particular costumes and really pick apart what goes into each one. The list is here:

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.cfm

Scroll down to the end of the page.

Good luck!
Rome

Hbrika
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8487

Post by Hbrika »

Welcome Glenn!

I totally agree with the above posts.

The Imperial Gunner Costume that I have is reasonably inexpensive but after adding upgrades, shipping costs and customs duties (I live in Canada) it gets up there.
I still have a few upgrades to go and they will cost me a few hundred.

I did it because I really thought it was a neat costume.

On the plus side costumes can be built over time and there are a lot of great people in the 501st to help.

Pick the costume that you want to do, you will have more fun and get into it more.
The rush you get from the smiles on kids faces, handshakes and doing good things will amaze and delight you.

Wearing a costume that you don’t like doesn’t sound like fun to my, they cost money and are a fair bit of labour combing lots of time, love (and frustration ;) ).
Hbrika
DZ/IG-8487

http://imperialgunnercorps.netfirms.com/
NOOKA!
Imperial Gunnery Corps XO

Let’s face it; being tracked down by the empire is far more fun for a 5yo than looking at props behind glass.

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

:welcome: Glenn!

I completely agree with what all of our respondants have posted here so far.

Build the costume you really want to, because after the many enjoyable experiences you will have, in retrospect you will know that every precious penny was well-spent.

Tim (Hbrika) has an awesome Imperial Gunner costume! Darryl (from Beloit) has a super Imperial Technician's uniform, because Darryl's first love is droids. Darryl can troop along with us in character as a tech and still be able to operate his fully functional droids.

Plus, you can always build more than one costume if you like. :wink:
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.

vanuhitman
Imperial Recruit

well...

Post by vanuhitman »

Hbrika, the Imperial gunner costume seems to be calling out to me... either that or TIE pilot. They just seem easier... and they dont require as much plastic and such.

So, here's more info on my financial situation. I am a soon-to-be broke college kid, and I have a job at a grocery store. I make about $200+ a paycheck... get paid every other week... so for a low end TK, I would need 3 paychecks. However, TK costumes don't look quite as comfy as i first thought, and I have heard some complicated helmet things, such as radios, installing fans, etc...

I would like to shoot for TIE pilot. If someone could give me an actual $ estimate, I think I will go for that.

Now, I believe there is a 501st member in the Green Bay area (where I live) and I was hoping that this person could help me out with some of the things I may need. I am willing to bribe with money and/or food.

So, could somebody get in contact with that Green Bay member please? just have 'em email me at vanuhitman@yahoo.com

Edit: sent an email to ************ to try and get some prices for TIE helmet and chestbox.

Quick question... how are the numbers assigned? I know TK is trooper, TI is TIE pilot... Think I could be TI 666? :D

Targ
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 3853

You Seek the Jolly Roger Squadron

Post by Targ »

Hello Glenn,

Welcome to the Midwest Garrison. As far as your TIE costume goes I've sent you a PM. I would invite you to visit the Official Detachment for the TIE Pilots in the 501st Legion, The Jolly Roger Squadron. Here is the link.

http://www.jrsdetachment501st.org/index.html

View our new website and in particular the "Academy" where we have posted most of the information you will need to assemble your equipment.

The key to costuming is to do it in steps. A bit at a time. There are many components of the TIE costume which cost under $50. A piece here and a piece there and before you know it your approvable.

The nice thing about the Off Duty TIE pilot is that is is mostly composed of the Flight suit (converted coveralls), boots, cap, gloves, belt and comm pad.

Then you can concentrate on your helmet and armor.

Do visit the JRS main site, and sign up and talk to your fellow pilots in our forum and chatrooms. I hope to see you there.
Last edited by Targ on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
Now serves as Mentor,
and Shadow Commander.

Hbrika
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8487

Post by Hbrika »

Aw shucks thanks Kathy! :hug:

Glenn, feel free to drop in to the Imperial Gunnery Corps if you want to take a look at the pieces for the Gunnery Costume at.

http://www.imperialgunnercorps.netfirms.com/

The folks on the message boards (here at the MWG and the Detachments) are really helpful and decent.

Feel free to PM me with any Gunnery questions as well. :D

I can’t stress enough though pick a costume that you want to do.
Hbrika
DZ/IG-8487

http://imperialgunnercorps.netfirms.com/
NOOKA!
Imperial Gunnery Corps XO

Let’s face it; being tracked down by the empire is far more fun for a 5yo than looking at props behind glass.

TS826
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 826

Post by TS826 »

A piece here and a piece there
Like a few have said above, that really is the way to go, with little budget.
In fact, in many cases, it is the way to go even with a budget.

Costumes do not have to be aquired in one bundle.
Nearly each individual piece of any given character can come from a number of sources.

There are also many "found items" in the SW universe.
[Tie Piot hoses would be one of them]
Would you use vacuum cleaner hose, or the correct fighter pilot hoses?

The coveralls for either costume...
Correct vintage racing suit?

Seamstress altered overalls?
Tailored flightsuit?

Not to mention that correct boots and helmets are both quests in their own right.

You know there are 3 different versions of the gunner costume alone
and all are screen accurate?

It is important to remember that accurate costumes do in fact take
time and money, even for those characters that appear simple to construct.
But, completly accurate costumes can be (and probably should be, depending on the results you wish to accomplish)
gathered, constructed ...and ultimatly upgraded, piece by piece over a period of time.

Good thing is.. finding the correct pieces and the actual construction of the costume (IMO) is half the fun.

edit:
I wrote all that and forgot to say welcome..

Welcome to the Midwest G.

Darth Favre
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 1900

Post by Darth Favre »

Hey Glenn, Glad you found our site. Just wanted to make an official welcome, in addition to our emails. Looks like you are getting a lot of great ideas, and I hope they help you get your project off the ground.
Yea I want Cheesy Poofs!!

Gregg Bywater
SL/TC 1900

TK257
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK257 »

Welcome Glenn. If you feel like making the drive to Milwaukee, I'm hosting an armor party on Saturday, Aug. 25th. You will see first hand what goes into building these costumes. If you think you can make it, PM me for directions.

"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
-- Elbert Hubbard

vanuhitman
Imperial Recruit

Post by vanuhitman »

*sigh* it would figure that I would read this at 4:21 Am on the morning of this armor party, when I have no immediate form a transportation available and would be unable to make the trip anyhow... gotta check the forums more often... much more often.

thanks for the offer, though.