Questions about joining the 501st

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

TheHawkofDeath
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Questions about joining the 501st

Post by TheHawkofDeath »

Hi my name is Cole and I have been interested in joining the 501st for a while now and just had a few questions that I would like to have answered. If I was to buy a suit of armor that is pre made would I still be able to join as a member or does the armor have to be made by me? Also I live in Normal, IL so I was wondering where is the Midwest Garrison based out of?

marriott211
Garrison Captain of the Guard
Garrison Captain of the Guard
501st Legion ID: 21175

Re: Questions about joining the 501st

Post by marriott211 »

TheHawkofDeath wrote:Hi my name is Cole and I have been interested in joining the 501st for a while now and just had a few questions that I would like to have answered. If I was to buy a suit of armor that is pre made would I still be able to join as a member or does the armor have to be made by me? Also I live in Normal, IL so I was wondering where is the Midwest Garrison based out of?
Hi Cole. Good questions!

First, your question about where we are based out of. The MWG represents the entire state of Illinois. We have members all over, including Bloomington! I am near Champaign myself.

Second, regarding the armor...depending on what you buy, it may be acceptable or may not. What armor are you looking at? Have you looked at the Costume Reference Library for that costume? Generally speaking members build their own armor from kits made by other fans or some commercially available manufacturers.

Are you on Facebook? We have a great group established there for helping new recruits get accepted. Reach out to me over there if so choose. If not, we can help you here too.

Regards,
Jim
Garrison Guard
IC/TI/TK-21175
ImageImageImage

emmzone22
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 21470

Post by emmzone22 »

TheHawkofDeath wrote:Hi my name is Cole and I have been interested in joining the 501st for a while now and just had a few questions that I would like to have answered. If I was to buy a suit of armor that is pre made would I still be able to join as a member or does the armor have to be made by me? Also I live in Normal, IL so I was wondering where is the Midwest Garrison based out of?
Welcome, Cole!

I live in Shelbyville which is about an hour and a half south of you. I know of at least three troops that we do there every year. Coming up and usually in May is Miller Park Zoo Star Wars Day, later in the season is The Cornbelters Star Wars Night, and next winter is The Central Illinois Flying Aces Star Wars Night. Come by and check us out.

As far as armor, Jim is right. Most armor is built by the individual from fan made kits, but it doesn't have to be. Mine on the other hand might be something you're looking for. Mine was built specifically for me from RS Prop Masters. I basically found out about The Legion and ordered a kit a week later. There were several factors why I went that route. If you have any questions, you can send me a PM.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and feel free to reach out as often as needed!
Chris Stewart

Image Image

Garrison Membership Liaison
Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

Welcome Cole!
We need no longer fear the banana.