Hello from Batavia!

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Batavia_Trooper
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hello from Batavia!

Post by Batavia_Trooper »

Just wanted to say "hello" from Batavia, IL! If there are any members in the area I would love to hear from you. I moved to the Chicagoland area in 2013 with my wife who is from Lombard. I grew up in Kansas and have been a huge fan of Star Wars since I was a little kid.

I have always enjoyed costuming, from Halloween to college parties, etc. While I have been aware of the 501st it took me awhile to commit to learning more and seeing if I can put together a movie accurate costume. The idea of meeting like minded fans in the area and getting the ability to give back especially to children/parents dealing with heartbreaking illness really appeals to me. My wife and I had our first child in 2017 and we have another on the way this July, I can't imagine what these families go through.

Based on my family responsibilities I don't know how quickly I will be "up and running," but I have to start somewhere. Any tips or general information would be appreciated, and again nice to meet you all!

elizgalin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 20029

Re: Hello from Batavia!

Post by elizgalin »

Batavia_Trooper wrote:Just wanted to say "hello" from Batavia, IL! If there are any members in the area I would love to hear from you. I moved to the Chicagoland area in 2013 with my wife who is from Lombard. I grew up in Kansas and have been a huge fan of Star Wars since I was a little kid.

I have always enjoyed costuming, from Halloween to college parties, etc. While I have been aware of the 501st it took me awhile to commit to learning more and seeing if I can put together a movie accurate costume. The idea of meeting like minded fans in the area and getting the ability to give back especially to children/parents dealing with heartbreaking illness really appeals to me. My wife and I had our first child in 2017 and we have another on the way this July, I can't imagine what these families go through.

Based on my family responsibilities I don't know how quickly I will be "up and running," but I have to start somewhere. Any tips or general information would be appreciated, and again nice to meet you all!
Hello and welcome! We would be happy to guide you toward the right resources to help you on your way.

What costume(s) are you interested in?
Lizzie Lindenbaum-Gaudio / TK-20029

Somebody has to save our skins.

Batavia_Trooper
Imperial Recruit

elizgalin wrote:
Batavia_Trooper wrote:Just wanted to say "hello" from Batavia, IL! If there are any members in the area I would love to hear from you. I moved to the Chicagoland area in 2013 with my wife who is from Lombard. I grew up in Kansas and have been a huge fan of Star Wars since I was a little kid.

Hello and welcome! We would be happy to guide you toward the right resources to help you on your way.

What costume(s) are you interested in?
While I would eventually like to tackle a Sith costume, I thought a good first step would be a TK so that I could do more since named character appearances are limited . While I love the look of the new First Order Stormtrooper, I have found some posts that the costume is more difficult/expensive than the ANH/ESB/ROTJ era.

emmzone22
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 21470

Post by emmzone22 »

Welcome, and good luck with what ever you decide! Don't hesitate to reach out either. Also, PM inbound.
Chris Stewart

Image Image

Batavia_Trooper
Imperial Recruit

emmzone22 wrote:Welcome, and good luck with what ever you decide! Don't hesitate to reach out either. Also, PM inbound.
Thanks. I think I'm going to try and start by seeing if I can source individual pieces as my budget allows. If I can, I'm sure I will have a ton of questions on assembly and avoiding mistakes that would keep the armor from being approved.

elizgalin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 20029

Post by elizgalin »

Batavia_Trooper wrote:
emmzone22 wrote:Welcome, and good luck with what ever you decide! Don't hesitate to reach out either. Also, PM inbound.
Thanks. I think I'm going to try and start by seeing if I can source individual pieces as my budget allows. If I can, I'm sure I will have a ton of questions on assembly and avoiding mistakes that would keep the armor from being approved.
I'm sure Chris already sent you this link, but here it is anyway: http://www.whitearmor.net . This is your #1 resource for everything Stormtrooper if you decide to go in that direction. Good luck!
Lizzie Lindenbaum-Gaudio / TK-20029

Somebody has to save our skins.

Batavia_Trooper
Imperial Recruit

elizgalin wrote:
Batavia_Trooper wrote:
I'm sure Chris already sent you this link, but here it is anyway: http://www.whitearmor.net . This is your #1 resource for everything Stormtrooper if you decide to go in that direction. Good luck!
Thanks... I'm sort of figuring out that I'm going to just have to save money and buy a kit together. Due to the nature of the situation with copyright and Lucasfilms/Disney it's hard to find much information and most sellers will only due helmets separate, but the armor is sold as a kit. Struggling right now to figure out what direction to go...

Garrison Membership Liaison
Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

Batavia_Trooper wrote:Thanks... I'm sort of figuring out that I'm going to just have to save money and buy a kit together. Due to the nature of the situation with copyright and Lucasfilms/Disney it's hard to find much information and most sellers will only due helmets separate, but the armor is sold as a kit. Struggling right now to figure out what direction to go...
Next month will be our biggest convention of the year, C2E2, at McCormick Place downtown. If time and funds allow, you and the family should try to come down and check out the con. The garrison has a huge presence there in the kids activity area. It's a great opportunity to meet us, and get a feel for what we do, and also you can talk to any one of us about what you may need to do to join up. Plus the con is a great time regardless...

And welcome to the forums.
We need no longer fear the banana.

Batavia_Trooper
Imperial Recruit

I may have to check that out if time and funds permit, thanks for the information.