New recruit in Chicago

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

JacKnife91
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 26991

New recruit in Chicago

Post by JacKnife91 »

Hey there,

My name is Jack and I have been wanting to join the 501st for a long time and after a year or so of research I think I'm finally ready to start getting my costume together and be on my way to becoming a member.

I am looking to assemble a TK 2918 Heavy Weapons Trooper. I also think I perfer the ROTJ out all the more standard TK armor. Is the Heavy Trooper basically a standard trooper with the shoulder pauldron, backpack, etc.? That would be nice to have a basic costume and pull out the extras for special occasions.

I was on the FISD website and learned about all the different kinds of armor, their pros and cons and a list of people who make armor. I would prefer ABS for its durability but since I am 6' 2'' and about 220-230 lbs. I think the TM would be the way to go. I also have a big head and would probably need the RT helmet since it is 4% bigger.

I have a certain maker in mind, but I would love to hear from those who have already been through this process and know the ropes.

I can't wait to get started and hope to hear back from the Legion soon. I live in Edgewater on the north side of Chicago if anyone is able to meet and talk in person
Jack Simonds
TK - 26991

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 11146

Re: New recruit in Chicago

Post by Sentry71 »

Welcome! I'm sure several members will be along to say hello as well. You're already on FISD, so you are on the right track. Most all of your questions can be answered there.

Personally, I am waiting on an order for AP armor. I think Chills (member here) used TM for his build. If you haven't seen his WIP thread there, definitely give it a look.

Wishing you the best!

Sarge
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 6074

Post by Sarge »

Interesting choice...It seems you seek to become a sandtrooper. There are many different versions in which to choose from. If you want some help feel free to email me or contact me direct and we can chat.

Take care,

Sarge
Mepd police officer

JacKnife91
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by JacKnife91 »

Thanks a lot Sarge,

Im not looking to be a sandtrooper, just the heavy weapons trooper. which is basically the same thing minus the sand weathering. Ive pretty much decided on the RT-Mod armor. Now Im just looking for the best place for the smaller details and accessories: undersuit, neck seal, blaster, and holster. I'm sure I could find these on my own, theyre available on amazon and ebay, but they say to avoid those and I want people's opinion.

Jack
Jack Simonds
TK - 26991

Cedron
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 159

Post by Cedron »

Welcome, Jack! I look forward to seeing your build and meeting you. This is a great group and you'll love trooping.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Hey there, Jack, and welcome!
I used to live up in your neighborhood, about six or seven years ago. I actually built my TK in the dining room of 1434 W. Edgewater, between Clark and Ridge. Good times, and a great 'hood.
TKvanB here on the forums doesn't live too far from you, and she might be able to help with in person stuff.
Another person you might seek out via PM is Gazmosis. He's been a deployment officer on the FISD in the past and knows more about the lineage and construction of Stormtrooper armors than just about anyone on the planet. I'm not even exaggerating. He's that good. And he lives in Naperville, which has been a huge blessing to us here in the MWG.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the HWT is just a clean sandy. Don't quote me on this, but I believe they are clean TKs with the backpack and a BFG. I also think they might be specifically based on the ANH TK, as opposed to the ESB or RotJ TK... but maybe not. There's a subforum for them on the FISD, and they should be able to confirm all of that for sure.

At any rate, good luck with the build, and looking forward to trooping with ya, sir!
:bucketsoff:
- Brian
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

JacKnife91
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by JacKnife91 »

Thanks a lot for everyone's support and advice.

After extensive research and some great advice from Gazmosis, I have decided on getting an AM armor kit and just ordered a conversion kit to make an E-11 blaster(so excited).

My last decision is whether or not to get my helmet from AM or ATA. It would be cheaper to get the full armor and helmet from AM, but I hear ATA's is more screen accurate.

Thoughts?
Jack Simonds
TK - 26991