Hello there!

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 82659

Hello there!

Post by Atrek »

Hello,
I am Chris. I've seen the 501st around for awhile now at Celebration 2 & 3 as well as C2E2 2012 and 2013, and am interested in joining up with the Midwest Garrison.

I was asking at C2E2 today at your booth about joining and costumes (I was the one guy with the black N7 hoody), and they said it would be a good idea to post here and try to get help with a costume as well as joining.I have zero experience with cosplay and creating costumes but would love to learn how to create/build one "cheaply" (I am a college student, so "cheaply" is something I'd like to get away with :oops: ).

EDIT: I was interested in either the Imperial Officer Corps or the Flagship Eclipse Detachment.

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by Atrek on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IC-82659
Reserve Pilot (TI)/Imperial Bridge Crewman (IC)

Zombie_Bunny
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 4838

Re: Hello there!

Post by Zombie_Bunny »

I know a lot of members are at C2E2 all weekend so you might not get a lot of responses. I myself will be going to C2E2 tomorrow and Sunday.

Since you seem to know the name of the detachments, I'd recommend also signing up on their boards. These boards are for us IL members but we all have different costumes. For specific info on a costume, joining that particular site will help. We are all here to guide you and answer questions, but you'll get the most research material on those sites.

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Thanks, I signed up for those two specific detachment boards and am posting about help. Enjoy C2E2 this weekend.
IC-82659

Jonesie
Imperial Recruit

Post by Jonesie »

Hi, I'm new myself and am looking to build a Boushh for myself. I also joined the detachment and posted. So far, not a ton of replies, but there is a ton of information if you read some of the ongoing threads. Good luck, hopefully we'll be joining soon!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

I was looking through the Officer and Flasgship Eclipse costumes and CRL and was thinking about doing Imperial Bridge Crewman, is there any tips or tricks to getting started on gathering materials?
IC-82659

ThomasDurbin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9293

Post by ThomasDurbin »

I, also, recommend checking several sources. Our MWG officers are assembling a mentoring group, so Brian and Adriane should be able to connect you with a MWG reference for the costume you want to make. Look for CRLs (costume reference libraries) on both the 501st legion site and the Detachment forums. The CRLs help a lot because they define the costume in detail and set forth the requirements for 501st Legion membership with that costume.

Good Luck!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Thanks for all the welcomes, I am researching somethings still as I am still in school :| ,so I don't have a lot of free time outside of classes and the weekends. But I am thinking about at least ordering a CRL qualified officer's cap soon, since it'd be a start and I need that little push to get going.

EDIT: I've gotten some threads started on the IOC board under the username Atrek as well. I think I have a rough list other than the boots.
IC-82659

HARP-4277
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 42770

Post by HARP-4277 »

Hello Atrek and welcome!
Another great source of information would be the Jolly Rogers Squadron Forums. The JRS has a costume called The Reserve Pilot, which is nearly the exact same as the Imperial Crewman, so if you look between both forums you will find many great members willing to help, as well as some pretty nice resources.

Welcome aboard and good luck!
TIE Pilot ........................ Helmet: Being Modified
Sandtrooper .................. Helmet: Being Modified | Armor: Being Built | Boots: Acquired

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

HARP-4277 wrote:Hello Atrek and welcome!
Another great source of information would be the Jolly Rogers Squadron Forums. The JRS has a costume called The Reserve Pilot, which is nearly the exact same as the Imperial Crewman, so if you look between both forums you will find many great members willing to help, as well as some pretty nice resources.

Welcome aboard and good luck!
Thanks got signed up on that board as well.
IC-82659

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

HARP (a.k.a. Ted) just recently joined up with his TIE Reserve (which actually also qualifies for the Crewman designation).
Ted, can you offer any advice to Atrek here? I'd say you have the most up-to-date knowledge of getting the costume together of anyone in the MWG. :)
Any pitfalls or mistakes you made along the way that Atrek might not be aware of?

For example, I'll say this: When you buy an officer cap, don't be too frugal. I bought a Master Replica cap myself, and it looks okay, and I think it passes Legion inspection, but it's honestly pretty flimsy compared to the stuff that TKvanB makes here in the MWG. The work of a Legion seamstress or seamster might cost a little extra, but you do get what you pay for. And while I can't speak for every cap-creator out there, Kathy (TKvanB) definitely turns out top-quality product.
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

TS826
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 826

Post by TS826 »

I can second the praise of TKvanB's work.
I've had a TKvanB cap for several years now, and in that time, it has been crushed, stuffed into a suitcase, and stepped on by children.
Yet every time I place it on my head, it looks as if it just came off the shelf. Just as stiff as the day it was handed to me.

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

As of right now I am still in the "researching and finding out prices" phase as I am waiting until I am on break from school and I have the free time and expenses for starting a project. Though I may have to send TKvanB a PM about a hat....
IC-82659

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

Atrek wrote:As of right now I am still in the "researching and finding out prices" phase as I am waiting until I am on break from school and I have the free time and expenses for starting a project. Though I may have to send TKvanB a PM about a hat....
I plan to start building some new hats in the very near future - a new & improved version!

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

TKvanB wrote:
Atrek wrote:As of right now I am still in the "researching and finding out prices" phase as I am waiting until I am on break from school and I have the free time and expenses for starting a project. Though I may have to send TKvanB a PM about a hat....
I plan to start building some new hats in the very near future - a new & improved version!
Ooooo...! :D
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

TKvanB wrote:
Awesome! 8)
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I was in my junior year of Highschool when I ordered my TK, and finished it by senior year.

It can be done on a budget, it just takes awhile to assemble the puzzle.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Nice! I wish I would of started this in High School.

Right now I've found 501st vendors except for boots, and a flight suit I believe... The puzzle pieces are coming together though, hopefully after this week things will calm down as I've been very busy so I can research some more and start asking harder questions. :D

Also nice Daft Punk costumes. :thumbs:
IC-82659

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

I just ordered a cap from ThinkGeek. There was a 40% sale for them. :P
Puzzle Piece #1 done, 5 more pieces to go.
IC-82659