Aspiring Newbie (and micro-newbie)

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9526

Aspiring Newbie (and micro-newbie)

Post by teach42 »

Greetings all! I'm a huge fan, both of the movies (obviously) and of the work you all have done. Have seen the Garrison at many an event over the years, and always been more than a touch jealous.

Saw the announcement of next year's Celebration and though it might be a fun father/son trip to take. I went to the Celebration in Indianapolis several years ago and made myself a Jedi costume for it, but to be brutally honest, I'm not sure I could fit into every piece of it anymore! I'm 5'6 and pushing 220 right now, so more of a porkins than a trooper shape. Oh the shame :(

That said, I'd love to try my hand at making costumes for both my son and I for next year's Celebration. Which leads me to my questions for the veterans here:

1) Any recommendations for costume ideas for an out of shape fan? And before someone suggests it, I have no inclination to being a Rancor Keeper :)
2) I'd like to make my son (4 years old) a nice costume, but wasn't sure what the best route to go there is. Are there any good kits for youngsters?
3) I wouldn't mind trying my hand at vaccuforming, and making him something really authentic. Is there anyone in the northern burbs (I'm in Skokie) that has a vaccuform setup and would be willing to take on an apprentice?

Steve

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1659

Re: Aspiring Newbie (and micro-newbie)

Post by Remo »

Welcome Steve, as an out of shape trooper myself, I went with the TIE Pilot.
You can start with a basic crew outfit, which is a modified flightsuit, boots,gloves, belt, hat. Then you add the armor (helmet/chest-back piece if you wish to become a TIE.
http://www.501st.com/members/costumeros ... tagoryID=4

There is also the Imperial Guard, http://www.501st.com/members/costumeros ... agoryID=12
Ive never worn the white armor so you're size may not be that big of an issue. In the end it's up to you. You want a costume that will make you happy.

http://www.501st.com/members/members.php

If you want you can make your son a costume just like the one you choose. I have clone armor and a Jawa for my 5yr old and Ahsoka and Leia for his twin sister.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams".

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by teach42 »

Wicked cool, and thanks for the suggestions!

How did you put together the clone trooper for your son? My boy would really get into that and would love to piece something together that has more 'substance' than the cheap plastic stuff you get from Toys R Us. We did that last Halloween, but for Celebration I wouldn't mind going all out!

Here's our family from Halloween two years ago :)

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Remo »

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by teach42 »

you just blew me away with that link.

Will most likely be taking your advice all around. Looking into buying Aiden a set of Commando armor, and have begun researching a Reserve Tie Pilot costume, en route to full TIE gear.

Thanks for getting me started!

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Remo »

Always glad to help. If you haven't already, head over to the www.jrsforums.com and introduce yourself. Targ is the leader of the Jolly Roger detachment and knows everything about them. He helped me get finished up.

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by teach42 »

FYI, I'm starting off with my son's costume. Bought a kit from KidsCloneArmor.com and am in the process of trimming it down now. Going to get him well on the way while I plan out my own costume. Thinking about Baron Fel TIE. Love teh addition of the red stripes, and slightly less armor should shrink the cost down a touch.

Really excited to get on this journey!

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Remo »

The Baron Fel is a cool option to the standard TIE. BTW on the JRS site, we do have a chat room and meet up on TIE Pilot Tuesdays (though I havent done it in a while) and is a nice way to interact with others.

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by teach42 »

Where is that? Is there a chat room on the site itself? Heard someone else mention it, but never saw where it was.

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Remo »

http://www.jrsforums.com/index.php?sid= ... 3691b60ec3

On the first line under the pic of the pilot, there are the words "Board Index"

The next line down says "User Control Panel". Follow that line to the right and you will see "Chat"

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by teach42 »

I swear, I looked like 10 times and never saw that link! Thanks for pointing it out. I travel pretty often during the week, but as soon as I have a Tuesday at home I'm going to jump on.

Hard at work trimming down Aiden's trooper armor, and I think I may have found myself a bucket for the TIE build. Baby steps forward, but progress!

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Remo »

If you havent already, introduce yourself to Targ. He is the number one guy when it comes to the Jolly Rogers, he takes great care of all of his pilots. :)

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 118

Post by TK118 »

WELCOME! Sounds like a great idea to troop as father and son.. And LOVE the photo....

There are many costumes you could wear... Just have to decide what one you want to do LOL

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by teach42 »

Welps, we are both on our way.

Have bought Aiden a Clone kit and am slowly working on getting it together. And just placed an order for my own TIE helmet/armor/chestbox.

You know what that means.... we've both past the point of no return :) Goal is to have everything complete by Celebration in Orlando. But I'd love to have it done sooner...

Are there any get-togethers planned for people working on their gear in the Chicago area? Would love to hang out and get some advice from the experts.

Steve