Greetings from Plainfield, IL

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Garrison Membership Liaison
Garrison Membership Liaison
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 66598

Greetings from Plainfield, IL

Post by Avatar190 »

Hello MWG,

My name is Mike and I'm from Plainfield, IL. I'm a firefighter by profession, and I'm also a snare drummer in the Firefighters Highland Guard of Naperville. I've seen the 501st at several events through the years, often at the Naperville St. Patrick's Day parade, and I was always interested in joining up. Part of our uniform in the drum line is our replica Vader lightsabers (I have the Force FX version, modified by Ultrasabers), so we always shared a similar interest. :p

My wife and I have started doing Disney runs the past two years, and run costuming is part of the enjoyment of doing those runs. We've started purchasing some light costumes for those. I bought a Rubies Vader helmet, and wore the dome with my saber and Vader Dri-Fit shirt, and was quite popular along the route. We went to this year's C2E2, and the MWG was there, and the 501st was also present at the Star Wars Weekends down in Disney World. My interest spiked, and I started looking for vendors.

Still thinking a Vader, I checked out Anovos, who I'd been following on Facebook for a while. I checked out their Vaders, which look amazing, but it was way out of my price range. At the time, they were in pre-production of their Stormtrooper outfits, and I was really tempted to get in on the early-bird pricing. Time passed, and I put it off. Shortly after that, however, they began pre-production of the the Shadow Stormtrooper outfit. That one locked me in, since I got in at the first phase pricing of $375 for the kit.

Here's the link to what I bought. http://www.anovos.com/collections/the-i ... -pre-order It should be shipping around December, but whenever it arrives it arrives. ;)

After stopping at the 501st booth at Wizard World Comic Con last month, I was pointed this direction, and here I am. The Members there told me to get on the forums, and start reading, as there were be much information on what I will need to do with my outfit once it arrives. The outfit is going to come in vacuformed sheets, so I will be doing all the cutting and assembly (the helmet is the only item that is completed in the shipment). Anovos linked out to a Tested.com video, where those guys are demonstrating the initial process of assembly. Hopefully they will release part II, hehe.

So, I do have a few questions. First off, does anyone have an Anovos costume? Will I have any problems getting it approved, and to what level might it be approved? Anovos doesn't include blasters, so I would be interested in where would be a good place to obtain one. And lastly, I will be interested in configuring some ventilation system in the helmet, and installing a comm system. Where might be a good vendor to obtain those items?

Once I have the Shadow Stormtrooper outfit completed, I'll be looking to connect and join up. Looking forward to that time... :)
We need no longer fear the banana.

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 51114

Re: Greetings from Plainfield, IL

Post by Chills »

Hi Mike, and welcome to the Garrison! Glad to have you aboard.

No one here has an Anovos set, yet, since they haven't been shipped. I've got a TrooperMaster TK set, but I also have an Anovos set on order; I couldn't pass up that intro price. If built right, it will most likely be approvable by the 501st.

As for the blaster, there are many options. I'd suggest you check out the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment over at whitearmor dot net and browse. It's a big site, but there's great info. I, for one, have a doopydoos E-11 with a T-jay upgrade. :)

CWard
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 81477

Re: Greetings from Plainfield, IL

Post by CWard »

Hello Mike, and welcome, I too am new and currently wrapping up my build. There are many great people on here and over at FISD to help out with any question or need you may have. I am also a firefighter by profession. Hoope to see you around.