Buying a costume

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

DarkDarth
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Buying a costume

Post by DarkDarth »

Hey gang! How much should I expect to spend on assembling a stormtrooper costume from scratch? I know it probably depends on where I get my materials from but I'm guessing around $1,500. I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!
"I've got a very bad feeling about this."

Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3127

Post by Whinter »

Hey there, DarkDarth! Welcome to the boards of the MWG!

Well, I don't have a TK costume (stormtrooper), but I think you're definitely in the ballbark with that $1500 pricetag. :wink: I have a TIE Pilot and Biker Scout and each of those cost right around that much. You can do it for cheaper, but it all depends on what you want. For information on the different "kinds" of Stormtrooper armor out there, the best place I can refer you to is the 501st Stormtrooper Detachment... www.whitearmor.net.

The detachments are always a great place to start for each type of costume.

TK0585
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK0585 »

a Storm Trooper is about $1200 for a base FX kit inc boots ETC,more accurate more $$
Trent
TK/SL/CC....soon DZ 585
WI Garrison
GML/GWL

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Re: Buying a costume

Post by iam8114 »

DarkDarth wrote:Hey gang! How much should I expect to spend on assembling a stormtrooper costume from scratch? I know it probably depends on where I get my materials from but I'm guessing around $1,500. I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!
So by scratch you mean building everything by yourself I take it? I don't know that anyone here would know that, but to do it properly to legion standards would be pretty expensive I would say (likely much more than a kit).

For a kit, I would say you're looking at at least $1200 depending on what brand of armor you pick up. Much more if you don't already have the proper tools lying around.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

Marvinrobot
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7242

Post by Marvinrobot »

Depending on your skill level and the tools again 1,000 to 1,200. Listen to Whinter and go to the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment. Introduce yourself, look around and you will get an idea about what it takes to construct a TK...Do not buy anything from E-bay, costume junkie, or star fortress!!!!! Talk to them first. Also, don't ask outright who sells armor and how much...needless to say folks want to get to know you first :wink:

Sands
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 1590

Post by Sands »

Good luck. Hope to troop with you soon.

IN6951
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by IN6951 »

Do not buy anything from E-bay
From time to time tho you "Might " find a completed TK costume that is being sold by a Member retiring from active service. You just have to be CERTAIN the previous owner was yer exact same size/ect . And that you do NOT pay too much for the used goods . And that the quailty is what you expect . Better to go the brand spankin NEW route tho if you can afford . :wink:

More work..... but it will fit you better and you can call it your own creation .

navycook2
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 3450

Post by navycook2 »

well as far as dont buy anything from ebay i am auctioning my TX( shadow trooper) on ebay and i know a couple of troopers here from san diego that just sold theres on ebay i am offering mine up for $800 plus shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0395925403
it really all depends on what you get on ebay though you do have to be carefull

DarkDarth
Imperial Recruit

My bad

Post by DarkDarth »

Marvinrobot wrote: Also, don't ask outright who sells armor and how much...needless to say folks want to get to know you first :wink:
Sorry for not introducing myself right off the bat. I'm a student at the UW-Madison double majoring in journalism and spanish right now, hopefully studying abroad in spain next spring. I was a pretty big Star Wars enthusiast growing up, seeing the rerelease in 97, getting the micromachines and reading the books, but I had kinda fallen out of it recently until I found the 501st. I'm hoping to assemble a TK unit this summer with money from my summer job, and if that doesn't work out, probably buying a kit. I'm also a big fan of the Jango Fett armor and was thinking of looking into that if the TK thing doesn't work out.

I have to say, I've been really impressed with how friendly people are here, even after never having met before. Hope to troop with you soon!
"I've got a very bad feeling about this."

navycook2
501st Member
501st Member

Post by navycook2 »

Dark we are all brothers here and youll find out once your in you are apart of the darkside world wide and you feel it to :) so many people across the world help out and a great example one of our san diego members lost his home a month ago in a arson fire and troopers across the globe helped him get back on his and his familys feet by donating money clothes armor and more. we are a very close brotherhood that love to help others and be fanboys :) welcome and cant wait to see you in your soon to be armor!!!!!!

River
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3166

Post by River »

Darkdarth,

welcome aboard trooper! Navycook is correct, you'll find out many of us here treat each other like family. We are a very tight nit group and are always willing to reach out and help a new cadet.

If you need advice feel free to pm myself or anyone of us here on the boards, plenty of people here to get to know and befriend.

since you're up in WI say hello to Geoff for me K? He was the first person I actually started to communicate with and helped me to get to the MWG! great guy that Geoff.:)

-River
TROOP! For a cause. What do YOU troop for?

Fitz6442
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6442

Post by Fitz6442 »

I used to live in Madison.......over 10 years ago. Still have family there.

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

PM sent
TK895 - Michael Washko
same since 1998

Tango
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Jango armor and welcome!

Post by Tango »

Hey there trooper;)

Born, raised and educated in Madison...GO BADGERS!!!!!!

If you want info on a killer set of Jango armor PM me when you have a chance.
Rush not into fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail.

navycook2
501st Member
501st Member

Post by navycook2 »

i am selling a TX armor if your interested let me know