TM Hero Helmet build

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 71463

Re: TM Hero Helmet build

Post by DarSec »

next, I cut out the cardboard template and fit it to the helmet.
new4.jpg
new5.jpg
new6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

I then placed the cardboard template against the ear, drew and cut. repeat for the side of ear. I love my curved Mayo scissors. Rescued them from recycle bin at work. Benefits of working in the operating room.
new7.jpg
new8.jpg
new9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

After a little score and snap, and a little trimming up to the original line, the fit was pretty good.
new10.jpg
new11.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Sooooooooooooooooo, tried to repeat for the right ear. Got the front spot on, but got a little rooster and totally goofed the back.
new12.jpg
new13.jpg
Oh well, new ear on the way from across the pond. Went ahead and attached the left ear and hovis. Gonna order stencils for tube stripes and paint from Trooperbay. Nothing to do but wait..............
new14.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

so I forgot to add, yes, those are some big honkin' screws and washers holding this glorious thing together. I got some with the same diameter as the permanent pop rivets so if I made any mistakes I could fix it and re-drill (which actually happened) and be totally happy with it once the rivets were in place.
Darrell S

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4034

Post by gazmosis »

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. You are probably going to want to undo your lower attachment as that is where your bottom ear screw needs to attach. As for gaps between the cap and face, it's perfectly normal. There is no such thing as these two pieces meeting perfectly no matter which helmet maker you talk about. Move your attachment to the cheek area. As for the ears, there is not too much measuring you can do. #1. Go slow.#2 if you can get hold of a deem meal with a rotary sanding drum use that. You will be able to remove millimeters or less with control.#3. Keep in mind that what you do on one side (front or back)will affect the other side. You are striving for a contoured fit but if there are minor gaps that's ok because they were far from perfect in the film

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4034

Post by gazmosis »

Wow!!! I didn't see your ear pics until now'!!! Outstanding!!!

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

I seem to have reached my board attachment limit. I wanted to post updates and pics to this build thread but can't, even if I start a new topic. Can a moderator or post guru offer any suggestions?
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Ok so here are the latest (haven't been able to work on it for a while) pics for my Hero. Should be on to painting soon, hopefully done by Thanksgiving. Image
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

So about those ears. I like the wide profile of the Hero helmet, and I think the ears add to this, but does anyone thing they are too big? Do they stick out a bit too much? Going to disassemble soon and paint, but I may trim them down a bit when I do since they will be off anyway. thoughts???
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Hope to start painting soon. Armor should be here after the first of the year. New build thread to come!!!!
Darrell S

navycook2
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 3450

Post by navycook2 »

looks great!!
Adam Skott
DZ-3450- Tusken Raider
TX-3450- Shadow Trooper
BH- (Non 501st) Custom Mandalorian

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Thanks. I sort of abandoned my armor build several months ago. I lost my wife in February and I can't get motivated. Picked it up this evening and started to mess with it and thought id check the forums. I hope to start posting pics soon. Close to done, just need strapping and fitting.
Darrell S

hitman
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8596

Post by hitman »

Sorry for your loss Darrell.

We cannot wait to see the rest of your progress.

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

So I'm done with helmet!! My awesome, artistic daughter totally rocked the paint job. She's adding the thin black stripes and I'll post pics of the completed helmet soon.
hero1.png
Hero2.png
Darrell S