Was told this would happen... (Blasters & Sabers Questions)

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 82659

Was told this would happen... (Blasters & Sabers Questions)

Post by Atrek »

Hopefully I am in the right forum area over here...

I am starting to catch the "ooh, I want to do this. Oh I that looks cool. I defiantly want one of those." bug... I think Schph's Hoth Trooper Rifle gave me this bug when I was able giving it back to her (Which is an awesome gun by the way! :shock: )

So I am wondering for the RP and IC what blaster would be easier/cheaper to make as a novice to all of this: the DL-44, E-11, or DH-17, or possible another blaster type? (I was thinking of a lightsaber as well due to some "restrictions" of weapons/toys on my campus, so a lightsaber could be in the grey area or not a big deal as a toy/prop "gun" :| ).
I happen to have at my house away from campus down in the dark abyss, where there is no light (aka: the basement, in a box somewhere with a TON of Star Wars toys) two DL-44's and E-11's from Star Tours I believe... still down in the abyss... (could be from another source but Star Tours/Disney sounds right as I was a child when my dad bought them for me and my siblings). I know one of the DL-44's has a broken flash muzzle or scope and one of the E-11's doesn't work for sound (battery exploded in it awhile back). :oops:
I was also looking into other blaster types as well to more of create a "project", which by "project" I think I need to use the plural "Project(s)" because I have one other prop I'd like to make at some point for fun (Darth Revan's mask, I am a huge Old Republic geek and BioWare fan).

I've talked to my brother who has worked on airsoft guns to see if he has any black paint as they are white or orange weapons and he has some though his message was: "but it leaves a shinny coat on it. I'd just buy a different type, mine makes everything look like its plastic and not metal"; I am wondering if that'd work or if new paint is a good idea as well as a new blaster as I know Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon or other places probably have them still (or a nerf gun that is close enough to be modded).

I know the IOC Crewman CRL's has no weapons listed for any of the costumes (except IN Dress Uniform) but the reserve pilot does... which has me a bit confused as to why an IC would not get one as well since we are fighting the traitorous Rebel "scums" and fists don't work as well as lightsabers/blasters (even if a blaster is "so uncivilized"). Upon researching this it does seem we can use weapons for non-cannon events, though I am guessing the GML and/or EC has to approve of this beforehand...

Thank you to anyone who has read my large block of text, I really need to sum up things with less words :lol:
IC-82659
Reserve Pilot (TI)/Imperial Bridge Crewman (IC)

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Re: Was told this would happen... (Blasters & Sabers Questio

Post by BigPapaKev »

I'm pretty sure all blasters are pretty much "optional accessories" due to restrictions in some locations. As for a cost effective weapon, I know the D-17 is an inexpensive route to go. The conversion process on the toy dart gun is really easy. It's not going to win you any awards for being screen accurate, but it looks fine. Should be tutorials on the IOC/JRS and Imperial Gunner forums. It was my first official undertaking in the costuming realm. Main thing is making sure you've sanded all the logos/copyrights down to a smooth finish before painting. After the initial paint job, I too thought it was too shiny so I used a matte finish clear to dull it. Looks much better now. Then you can decide if you want to weather it and make it look battle used. Dry brushing it is a fairly easy to get that effect. Hope the info helps.
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

Here's a fav with IMPs :thumbs:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Power_5_ ... 5_egwt.png

do a search on the officers forums, think there a few builds posted there. you can find broom handle mauser airsofts, plastic ones, on ebay for like 2 to 10 bucks.
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

I'll have to look into the DH-17 & Power5 Pistol makes and pricing of modifications.

I've looked a little bit more for a blaster build that seems do-able for me and I found this for a DL-44: link, though it is a Rubies one, this seems pretty straightforward as I could do this in a month or so, even with a new DL-44 blaster as the prop. There is also a place that Rubies website says that sells them a block away from where I am at now. I know Woulf you have a DL-44 for another costume as I think you had one for the Walk and Run for Wishes, so I don't know if you have any advice for me for a DL-44 build or if that thread is near "screen accurate" for being "cheap" price and time/modification wise than most other builds or if I should head back to the drawing table with a Power5 or DH-17 build over a DL-44 for now. Just trying to get ideas mostly for now on where to begin and what threads/places to look at and not to look at for now.

I also learned I can't have ANY weapons on campus (checked the rules which say it is a big NO), so this looks more of like a winter project or something to do when I am "off-campus" on a break, hence why I asked about a lightsaber as I don't think my campus would go insane over a lightsaber hilt prop as they would any "fake" blaster props (though I could be wrong, but I don't wish to test this theory with security...).
IC-82659

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

I know Woulf you have a DL-44 for another costume as I think you had one for the Walk and Run for Wishes, so I don't know if you have any advice for me for a DL-44 build or if that thread is near "screen accurate" for being "cheap" price and time/modification wise than most other builds or if I should head back to the drawing table with a Power5 or DH-17 build over a DL-44 for now. Just trying to get ideas mostly for now on where to begin and what threads/places to look at and not to look at for now.
That link you posted, is the same gun i use for my X-Wing pilot, however that gentleman went a little more in depth with the scope on his then i did. Think i paid like 13 bucks for mine, a can of spray paint, and few bottles of modeling paint, and presto.
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Thanks, I was at a regular costume shop (Chicago Costumes off of Fullerton Ave.) right next door to campus today and was asking about the rubies star wars weapons to get prices and mentioned that I was after one to work on as a 501st blaster, he knew exactly who you all were upon stating this.

The owner also said he would paint it black for me (a DL-44), no charge at all, though he did mention that a "orange" muzzle/flash suppressor would be painted/put on the end, I think more of for security reasons for them & anyone buying the item, the paint was a glossy black paint as he showed me the difference between the regular rubies blaster (blue and grey-ish) and the painted one (looked really close to yours, except for a more shiny paint, so a shined "plastic/metallic" look I guess is what I thought). He also did this for a clone trooper DC-15S that he painted black as well from the normal white/blue colors. Sadly I didn't get pictures due to other errands and trying to make it back to campus for a gaming event.

I am wondering if this will work as a blaster for a holster (ask the GML or get pics?) as I said I'd half to ask/check and also due to the campus rules & 501st regs on weapons (as they weapons have to be "screen accurate" or close to it), though if an orange flash muzzle is on it, I might be able to keep it here at my dorm until a trip home and/or a family member stops on by :D (going to ask an RA/housing dept. about this tomorrow, because if I can keep it on campus then I will, since I am here more than at home for now). Both are the same prices so really if I have to redo the paint at least I know there is something underneath it I guess for weathering, or for reference, either way I know who has the DL-44's and DC-15S's for any Chicago members.

-Atrek
IC-82659

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 265

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

How much and how good is the prop? Your probably better off getting it through one of our people. Unless of course, that guy is one of our people.

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

I had TWO quotes on it, one at ~$12 unpainted from the guys wife who runs the shop with him, and the guy who said $20 for either painted or unpainted one, so don't know who to believe, probably the person ringing it up or who had the right price to begin with. It is a toy blaster by the way so quality is of any toy really, and I didn't purchase or ask for one yet because I needed the OK that it'd work. Don't know if he is one of you or not... He knows of the group but didn't say he was in it if that helps...

Also to even have this on campus there has to be something saying it is not a weapon and is a toy or prop, so I don't know if anyone has suggestions if I go another route for a blaster... :lol:
IC-82659

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Post by BigPapaKev »

Before a paint job the copyright and logos need to be sanded off. If you have the time/space to do it yourself, try it. There's a sense of pride in knowing you put in the work and it'll help you down the road when you have to make "wear and tear" repairs.
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Yeah, doing it yourself isn't that tough.

Use your toy E-11 and get a doopydoos conversion kit. Avoid that and just get his entire E-11 kit, it's accurate, passes the highest muster and light.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

:shock: I like the Scout blaster on that website...
Space is an issue as it gets a little cramped in here, plus I have to abide to a rule of no weapons that shoot projectiles and a flash muzzle end with a removable or painted orange end in order for my campus to allow it. :?
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Leave it at home. At my college a M14 and a E-11 at NIU when I was there briefly. Just keep it at home? I wouldn't compromise accuracy because your school won't allow you to display it.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Leave it at home. At my college a M14 and a E-11 at NIU when I was there briefly. Just keep it at home? I wouldn't compromise accuracy because your school won't allow you to display it.
I think I am going to take your advice and leave it at home if I end up working on one. Too little of a workspace, plus campus rules are going to conflict if I decide to get a DIY kit or to modify a toy blaster. At least I will know of a side project to work on if I get bored while at my house.

Now about a Darth Revan Mask... :lol:
Is there someone who knows of a way to make one? or someone who has experience making masks/helmets? or still going to be too cramped of a workplace? Last time I checked there were no rules against masks/helmets for my campus. Plus I'd rather do something else than sit at a computer during my small amounts of "free" time. :wink:
IC-82659