Building my own blaster

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

TD30303
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 30303

Building my own blaster

Post by TD30303 »

Hello all-
So while i wait for ATA to call my name on the waiting list i'm going to start gettting the rest of my gear together, including my blaster.

I'd really love to build my own from the plans i've found on the Builder Blasters club. Has anyone tried this? If so i'd love to have some advice before i went ahead and started it. I have all the blueprints, but I need reference sizes and what not, but can't find the exact sizes on the blue prints.

Any advice/talk/support would be GREATLY apprecaited!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: Building my own blaster

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I would get PVC pipe and the doopy pipe kit to start off.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TD30303
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TD30303 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:I would get PVC pipe and the doopy pipe kit to start off.
I took a look at those, is that what you troop with? The thought of creating a metal one for myself really sounds appealing. So im on the fence.

501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7696

Post by 138 »

i would do the plastic version . not only is it lighter , but your not wielding around a weapon of a weapon .
also it wont sag your your tk belt down like the heavy master replicas does :)
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

TD30303
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TD30303 »

138 wrote:i would do the plastic version . not only is it lighter , but your not wielding around a weapon of a weapon .
also it wont sag your your tk belt down like the heavy master replicas does :)
Good call. Obviously I don't have the experience wearing it...YET.

Bought some PVC yesterday and starting to build a few. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7696

Post by 138 »

sounds like a BLAST`~er :wink:
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I use a Kenner I converted with a kit and bondo/styrene work. When I do make a custom build I am going the APEX kit with a aluminum pipe. Going for it all.

I used Gaza's metal E-11 in a California troop. I couldn't holster it. Plastic spaceman armor doesn't hold up metal well. Plus holding it for a long time isn't bad, but the curvature of the forearm pieces on ATA are wonky and hurt your wrists at the angle you hold the E-11 for a extended period of time.

That said, a alum pipe sounds awesome, but I may go APEX kit, PVC pipe, and resin bits. Light, with real parts from the weapon.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TD30303
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TD30303 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:I use a Kenner I converted with a kit and bondo/styrene work. When I do make a custom build I am going the APEX kit with a aluminum pipe. Going for it all.

I used Gaza's metal E-11 in a California troop. I couldn't holster it. Plastic spaceman armor doesn't hold up metal well. Plus holding it for a long time isn't bad, but the curvature of the forearm pieces on ATA are wonky and hurt your wrists at the angle you hold the E-11 for a extended period of time.

That said, a alum pipe sounds awesome, but I may go APEX kit, PVC pipe, and resin bits. Light, with real parts from the weapon.

Went with PVC for my first couple of builds. I thouht about trooping and especially letting my kids touch it and play make believe like daddy, so I figured it should not be a weapon of a weapon as someone so perfectly put it. So the 1.25 PVC it is, and i've decided i'm not going to use any of the resin parts, and build the whole sucker from scratch including the Hengstler counter. Let's see how i feel in a few weeks.

Set up my template on my first pipe. Was gonna drill it out to see how i'm feeling about it however this darn hawks game has not been helpful in terms of me being productive. That being said...GO HAWKS.