Ultimate RFT Build

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9336

Ultimate RFT Build

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hey gang!

I made first my RFT back when I was 16. I am now 20; and having been a TK for the last two and a half years, it's time to update my RFT. It NEEDS to be done by April 16th.

I had a TK560 lid, but I ended up selling that to fellow Nar Shadaa member Crix Thomas. I am going to get a Mon Cal ABS bucket this time with black acrylic visor. Just need to hear back from him (sent message today for others wondering if he still pulling these as well.)

I had a Hasbro mod DH-17. It was my first prop attempt EVER and well...now making Daft Punk helmets, LED rigs, full leather suits...the time has come a for a well needed scratch build! I am doing my research to get this right. Starting with Sterling parts, which I am just going to get through Doopydoos. The only difference between my planned PVC/resin/metal build and a real one from the films will be weight. I have looked at Luke Warmwater's build, some others on the Imperial Gunnery board, and RPF. Accurate blue prints have been found, now it will just be time to assemble parts needed.

The clothes I have will work JUST fine. Thankfully since then I have lost weight (thanks Army) and they are exactly what is needed. US Navy shirt, modded with bib, vest modded correctly, and the correct BDU trousers. What I do NEED to do is hem off the cuff, and wash it a few times to get that "stone blue" washed out color we have seen in the movies.

While the helmet will be straightforward, and the blaster be the only actual difficult part of the costume, what I am in need of is a correct belt. Back when I was 16 I commissioned some fellow to make me a rebel belt and he had only worked with Imperial belts/holsters before.100 bucks and six whopping months later I had a painted leather belt, that I was thoroughly dissatisfied with. NOT the look I am going, even if we can barely see the darn things in the movies. That said, I need a belt and if anyone makes them, I need one!

Belt boxes, who makes the best? Maybe I be better off asking the 501st half since they are used for officers as well. I need quality ones, and don't mind painting them.

Any help is appreciated. Right now, I need a belt, holster, and belt boxes. If anyone knows what exact sterling parts are used on a DH-17 please let me know!

The only pics I will dump here will be helmet, and DH-17 build pics.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Re: Ultimate RFT Build

Post by woulf »

well if your trying to get your bucket from MonCal...ask him to pull your boxes too...he does those as well, vac pulled ABS i believe.

Or if they are the same as Imp Off. you can make them from these, think the measurements are slightly off, but pretty darn close and acceptable...for Imp Off. so i would think they'd be good for RFt too.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/produc ... B100000001
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I will, thanks.

Are those Hammond boxes the same Jon Weger is using for his Chewie?
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Doughboy, if you have a hard deadline in April, I would be very wary of ordering from Cal, unless he has the materials in hand. I've never heard a story of him delivering product anywhere close to the time frame that he quotes. My gunner bucket was supposed to take 4 to 6 weeks, but ended up close to 8 months. That's the experience that almost anyone will tell you.
Just thought you should be fully aware.
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thanks a lot Brian! I am hearing this around the Rebel and 501st Legions. What a shame. It will be interesting how I will approach this!

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

Yeah MonCal's stuff always takes forever. Studio Creations is the way to go. Its almost as good as MonCals and you're a bit more likely to get it in time and its much better than the standard one that most RFTs have.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Post by BigPapaKev »

I ordered a Scout from Studio Creations. Great experience, quick delivery and really good communications.
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I talked to Jeff at SC. He couldn't make my deadline. But with a little extra persuasion and negotiating Mon Cal is going to pull through. I am getting it rushed and told him the conditions and if not met obviously a rush payment be withdrawn and refunded...

I am hoping this can break the mold of Mon Cal dropping the ball on lots of folks. We'll see!

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:I talked to Jeff at SC. He couldn't make my deadline. But with a little extra persuasion and negotiating Mon Cal is going to pull through. I am getting it rushed and told him the conditions and if not met obviously a rush payment be withdrawn and refunded...

I am hoping this can break the mold of Mon Cal dropping the ball on lots of folks. We'll see!
Cool. I hope you luck out man.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Me too!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Its a funny thing when you become passionate about getting some costume done here in the Legions. Dedicated research and just asking around yields great results, quickly.

Sterling parts for the DH-17 have been acquired, and enroute in a few days.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Mon Cal pulled through!

It arrives Monday. BAM!

jweger77
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9142

Post by jweger77 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Mon Cal pulled through!

It arrives Monday. BAM!
Awesome Kevin! It's coming together quickly for you!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Sterling parts coming. Sold my RFT belt/holster/buckle/boxes. Getting a new accurate one en route. Sterling parts enroute tomorrow. Need do a pipe build.

jweger77
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by jweger77 »

Kev, I just ordered an awesome single point casting on the RPF. It is fantastic! Now to get some scope mounts for it!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I need a back picture right? Working on that...

SPS Studio Day - Rebel Fleet Trooper by TK9336, on Flickr

Still waiting on a few more from one last photographer.

jweger77
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by jweger77 »

The only good RFT, is a dead one! Nice pics!

Zombie_Bunny
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 4838

Post by Zombie_Bunny »

Yay! More Rebels!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

It's been a LONG road to here!

OFFICIAL TODAY!

Now I need a new belt and holster. Also making a 1:1 scale canon accurate DH-17. Very glad to be in officially!

Let's take a step back and see how far I've come in 10 years!

Mobile 234 by TK9336, on Flickr

Thanks to my Dad being supportive in helping me make this in 5th grade! I need to find the picture of my friend and I BOTH as RFT's for Halloween 2003!

I became a teenager years later, and fast forward to 2009. Phyllis Gochi was THE FIRST person to find me wandering the Rebel Legion (I didn't EVEN KNOW there was a "501st".) So like all teens, I took the bathroom cell phone picture...

Mobile Phone 122 by TK9336, on Flickr

And then put on some weight (and was a REAL DOUGHBOY)- BUT I DID TAKE approval pics a Long, Long Time Ago! In fact it was (trusting the uploader time date when I actually put these on my old computer which was January 5th, 2010. It was probably before Jan 5th, 2010 but let's roll with it!) That RFT bucket was the FIRST thing I've ever built prop wise. Note it's HUGE SIZE on my head. That's why I never felt comfortable wearing it and now today changed out helmets for a MUCH more accurate helmet. Without ado-

Mobile Phone 388 by TK9336, on Flickr

Mobile Phone 385 by TK9336, on Flickr

Mobile Phone 389 by TK9336, on Flickr

Mobile Phone 386 by TK9336, on Flickr

Mobile Phone 347 by TK9336, on Flickr

No photoshop, that's the actual light in the scope of the toy DH-17!

Mobile Phone 384 by TK9336, on Flickr

And like ANYONE who finishes a costume, I put it on and ran around my parent's house like the "real deal," and put in ANH.

Mobile Phone 378 by TK9336, on Flickr

Mobile Phone 370 by TK9336, on Flickr

AND now fast forward to last Satuday- (and no longer a Doughboy, thanks to the Army I lost 30 lbs of pure fat.)

RFT at Legoland! by TK9336, on Flickr

Oh, and in the meantime became a Stormtrooper IMMEDIATELY following the finishing the rebel costume. Finished the Rebel November 2009, and became TK-9336 September 2010.

SPS - Matthew Crowley Photography! by TK9336, on Flickr

WOW...that was exhausting, but now you've seen the last 10 years of my RFT!!!

HUGE THANKS TO PHYLLIS. Without you my life would've never changed for the betterment of myself, my family, and possibly every kid I have trooped with, and taken photos with!