My "new" Vader lightsaber...

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9965

My "new" Vader lightsaber...

Post by SL9965 »

Troops,

My "new" saber is actually my old one with a mod. I saw that Chad from southern Illinois had red blades on his Maul lightsaber even though they weren't lit up. I asked him about it and he told me that you can get red cellophane on a roll at arts and crafts stores. In Champaign I went to Michaels and they had exactly what I needed. It's basically red tranparent wrapping paper.

I took the saber apart. This took longer than the mod. There are two plastic tubes on the MR sabers. I cut the cellophane in a long strip just wide enough to go around the inner tube, but not overlap. The outer tube slipped right over the inner. I didn't have to tape or glue the cellophane at all. I was lucky that I was able to slide the tubes apart. Other MR saber tubes may not come apart so easily. The red cellophane has no effect on the brightness of the LED's.

In the pic above, I've compared my Vader lightsaber with one of my Maul sabers. As you can see, my Vader saber is much brighter than the stock MR saber. This is because I had red LED's installed and they're brighter.

I've seen this mod done before on a few sabers, but I just wanted to share what I learned. At least now when I'm out in the daylight as Vader, my saber still looks red and not white or pink.

Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7696

Re: My "new" Vader lightsaber...

Post by 138 »

Verry NiCE!!!!
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

DTR12
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 6309

Re: My "new" Vader lightsaber...

Post by DTR12 »

Nice work, looks great.