TK Project

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 4185

TK Project

Post by Kurodor »

Well, now that my Endor Rebel Trooper costume is done... :twisted: My Next project is going to be working on my TK.

Here is a list of the supplies I have:

E6000 glue
Hot Glue Gun
Industrial Velcro
Dremel

Still need:

Heat Gun (Don't know which kind to get)
Soldering Iron (for the electronics)

**Not sure if I am missing anything**

Also I have a question, what type of voice system is recommended? I saw two of them, ICS and ROMFX I think were it. Any major difference between them, which one is easier to install?

Thank you in advance my fellow troopers!!

TK9039
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9039

Re: TK Project

Post by TK9039 »

Wolverine wrote:Well, now that my Endor Rebel Trooper costume is done... :twisted: My Next project is going to be working on my TK.

E6000 glue
Hot Glue Gun
Industrial Velcro
Dremel

Still need:

Also I have a question, what type of voice system is recommended? I saw two of them, ICS and ROMFX I think were it. Any major difference between them, which one is easier to install?

I used my wifes hair dryer for a heat gun when I was shaping parts on my TK!! I have an ICOMM system and I am very happy with it......I have gotten lots of compliments on its sound and its simple to use.

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

TK9039 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Well, now that my Endor Rebel Trooper costume is done... :twisted: My Next project is going to be working on my TK.

E6000 glue
Hot Glue Gun
Industrial Velcro
Dremel

Still need:

I used my wifes hair dryer for a heat gun when I was shaping parts on my TK!! I have an ICOMM system and I am very happy with it......I have gotten lots of compliments on its sound and its simple to use.
I've been trying to find a link for the iCOMM and can't find one anywhere. Do you know of one?

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

Thank ya sir!!!

TK2412
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by TK2412 »

I would also recommend lots of compression clamps and earth magnets. These come in handy when you are trying to keep the parts together while the E-6000 cures over its 24 hour timeframe. Good luck, its always fun putting armor together. :D
John

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

LOTS of magnets for the joining strips, if that's the route your going for EIB or Centurion. In any case, magnets are a life saver! I used a heat gun and screwed up armor a few times so stay with a hair dryer IMHO. On clamps, careful on the industrial strength ones because they can bend armor and ruin a entire piece. On a mic system, I just use a Aker voice amp offered by a Trooper in Texas. Great deal and it's louder than what the Blues Brothers were using! (Ok, not that loud but it can very loud without feedback) a lot of people thought I had the effect of a mic system but I just do the static burst on my cheery own. Lots of routes to take to the same end man!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

I think on my next day off I'll go back to Home Depot and return the heat gun I got. Its unopened so i should get my money back. I'll stick with the hair dryer. I've got some rare earth magnets lying around the house somewhere, if I need more I can hit Jo-ann's. :thumbs:

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4034

Post by gazmosis »

When using your magnets, you will be going through a minimum of two layers of plastic. Make sure you test them BEFORE YOU GLUE UP to make sure they are strong enough to hold the plastic together!
Go with the Aker amp with PTT cable that Jim in Texas sells. You won't be disappointed! Are you going with the FX bucket or something a bit more accurate?

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

That's a good point, testing out. TEST and APPLY everything on SCRAP. I can NEVER stress that ENOUGH!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

gazmosis wrote:When using your magnets, you will be going through a minimum of two layers of plastic. Make sure you test them BEFORE YOU GLUE UP to make sure they are strong enough to hold the plastic together!
Go with the Aker amp with PTT cable that Jim in Texas sells. You won't be disappointed! Are you going with the FX bucket or something a bit more accurate?
Probably the FX bucket just because I have a big head! ;)

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4034

Post by gazmosis »

Don't settle!!! If you want accuracy and you are not sure, I have a bucket you can try on! My nephew wore it for Halloween and he's got a mellon!!! Let me know if you want to try it on!!

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

gazmosis wrote:Don't settle!!! If you want accuracy and you are not sure, I have a bucket you can try on! My nephew wore it for Halloween and he's got a mellon!!! Let me know if you want to try it on!!
Thanks Steve, I'll keep ya posted!!

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

Just an update..

Unwrapped all of the pieces for my AM kit today. Test fitting the biceps to make sure they fit properly in case I need to trim them. Feeling pretty overwhelmed since I have no idea what I am doing.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Slowly back away from the armor, gasp in how awesome it is to have it arrayed in front. Now laugh at yourself. Chuckle a few times. Then sit down, scratch your head...then just read build threads at whitearmor.net. Best thing with FX/AM armor is that you don't have to worry about covering strips so your pretty much in the green for making it to fit, you.

Start outlining where to trim the armor, and start there. Don't get ahead of yourself and start glueing...I did that and had to start over twice, the first time being all the pieces, the other time because I made the snap plates backwards.

Atleast from experiance, that is closely verbatim how I opened my box :)

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

Haha, thanks for the advice DB! :)

And also thanks to Gaz for taking timeout of his schedule and allowing me to come on by with my kit to go through things and get a better feeling as to what to do. I feel a little more confident as to what to do. As always, I will keep you all posted!

Also...I'm in the process of putting together an Episode 1 Darth Sidious. I'll update more as it comes along. :twisted:

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

You couldnt get help for a TK from a better person then the "Gaz" :mrgreen:

His TK is dead on, and he's very generous with sharing his information and time. If not for his help, I'd still be scratching my head just looking at my brown box.

Hope it's coming along for you. Feel free to ask my any questions any time, ive probably had the same issues as youre having right now. Im so busy with work and family, I had to make myself a promise to work on at least one thing every day, no matter how small. :thumbs:

Keep on plugging away, take your time, and enjoy the build :bucketsoff:
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

It's coming along slowly. I only have time to work on it when I'm off work. I'm just taking my time, I'll keep everyone updated.

Kurodor
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Kurodor »

Just an update:

Both biceps, forearms and handplates are trimmed and fit really good. They are ready to be glued together.

When they are all glued together and setting I'll probably work next on trimming the shoulders a little bit, but after that what should I work on?

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

Kurodor wrote:
gazmosis wrote:When using your magnets, you will be going through a minimum of two layers of plastic. Make sure you test them BEFORE YOU GLUE UP to make sure they are strong enough to hold the plastic together!
Probably the FX bucket just because I have a big head! ;)
If you're interested, I have a ANH2.5 helmet you can try out that I'm looking to get rid of in the near future. Its a resin helmet, but its near FX sized but much more accurate in proportions. I only got as far as trimming it, but I think it might be a good fit for you.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2