Animated Armor Build Journey

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 7664

Animated Armor Build Journey

Post by TK7664 »

Well, my box full 'o plastic arrived on Thursday!

Every piece of armor was present and accounted for.

I spent today sizing, trimming, sanding, glueing, and filling in the seams on the ab, kidney, cod and butt. Since these pieces are the core of the suit i wanted to be sure I got that part correct.
I was a bit nervous because i thought i'd be a bit too big around the midsection. However, everything fit just fine!

Some of the armor pieces were a bit thin, so i will reinforce the inside of these areas with fiberglass resin.

Tomorrow i sand bondo, reinforce, and prime the ab, kidney, cod and butt pieces. I'm also gonna work on the back and chest pieces.

I'll try and get pics up tomorrow!
Last edited by TK7664 on Sat May 07, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Midwest Garrison's first "ARF-iness!"
ARF! ARF! ARF!

501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7696

Re: Animatedmarmor build journey

Post by 138 »

now now brother --tomarrow is mothers day :wink: make shure she comes first in all your plans , its her day after all :)

sounds like your making fast progress ... pluging away at it... did you get your shoes yet?

payless carries them . i got mine a while ago . but those and the gun were about as far as i semed to get :|

im going to restart saving- id like to get going on liz's scout , once it's done.
i will start the soon to be aquired tk project . and by the time i complete that ...i should at least have my helmet money saved up again ?

and i will possibly re-start the tusken i gave up on ??or maybe _liz will twist my arm enough to have it become her second and legion worthy build ??
by the time i get to it she will be close to legion age who knows dz-liz may be her first designation ?? or tb with a few upgrades ??
who knows what the future holds ?

but the arf is on the vast horizon .. someday ....someday.......... maybe by then a shadow arf may be a possability !!!!! :thumbs:

but you guys have a great weekend whatever you do ...and say hello for me :wink:
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Re: Animated Armor Build Journey

Post by TK7664 »

Ok....

I'm currently working on the chest and back pieces. Glued them together. To add extra strength and support to the high stress areas (i.e, under the shoulder pieces and sides) I'm using Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly. This is working great so far!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 8K155C5Rgl

I used traditional Bondo on the cod and butt section to fill in the seams....bad idea. After 24 hours of curing, the bondo cracked.

I've used the Fiberglass Resin Jelly on other seams and it's working much better! The product is much more flexible than traditional bondo.

So right now I'm still working on the upper chest. I have a lot of sanding and filling to do before I move on...

Kev's animated armor kit is really easy to piece together. I would highly recommend the kit!
ARF! ARF! ARF!

501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7696

Post by 138 »

thanks for the tip ...
chip used a plyably bumper auto poxy of sorts to sea up and adhear parts of his clone ... it looks awesome !!!!!! :thumbs:
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

138 wrote:thanks for the tip ...
chip used a plyably bumper auto poxy of sorts to sea up and adhear parts of his clone ... it looks awesome !!!!!! :thumbs:
Cool! I'll keep that in mind in case the fiberglass resin jelly doesn't work..
ARF! ARF! ARF!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Post pictures my good man! All advice on anything you run into during the build would be awesome side notes.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

Well, I'm still working on the chest/back, ab/kidney, butt/cod area. I'm going slower that normal, but that's ok - I'm in no rush. If all goes well, I'd like to debut my clone during the Legoland Discovery troop in June.

I glued the shoulder straps, right bicep and right forearm together, and 1 belt box tonight.

I'm also still taking a lot of time to reinforce the high stress areas. I have a lot of sanding to do! :roll:

Also, BE CAREFUL WHEN USING ZAP A GAP. IT BONDS VERY FAST!!! WATCH WHERE IT DRIPS TOO! :blink:

Anyway, here's some pics!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62815459@N06/
ARF! ARF! ARF!

SHortTrooper
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by SHortTrooper »

:D

Wow nice job there! Can't wait to see it finished!

Diana (ShortTrooper )
Well, I'm going THIS way, not THAT way!

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

Wow, what a crappy weekend... :(

However, I did get a lot of cutting, sanding, glueing and painting done.

Here's what I accomplished:

Chest/Back: Sanded, primed and painted. (Still needs a few more coats though...)
Shoulders: Cut, glued, seams filled, sanded, primed and painted. (Still needs a few more coats)
Biceps: Cut, glued, seams filled, sanded, primed and painted (still needs a few more coats)
Forearms: Cut, glued, seams filled, sanded, primed.
Ab: Sanded, primed and painted
Cod/Butt: Added fiberglass/resin filler to solidfy the crotch area.
Belt Box: 1 assembled

Note: I used flat white rustoleum paint. I'm going to try a semi-gloss instead, just to check it out. The flat white looks good, but not as thick as a semi-gloss. We'll see what happens.....

Yeah, I know....pics are forthcoming! :lol:
ARF! ARF! ARF!

fettswatcop
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3620

Post by fettswatcop »

Still using the fiberglass resin jelly. Happy with the results?
Image BH3620

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

fettswatcop wrote:Still using the fiberglass resin jelly. Happy with the results?
Yes, I'm still using it. I'm very pleased with the results so far. It's easy to apply, takes to the plastic very well, easy to sand and takes paint with ease. It seems to give it the extra strength that I'm looking for. It's also not brittle like regular bondo. Of course, the final proof will be when the armor goes through the rigors of trooping.

Thanks for asking! :wink:
ARF! ARF! ARF!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Pics.........? :D
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

Here's some pics of me test driving some armor..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29183756@N ... 726046059/

Almost there! Working on the legs and calves this week!
ARF! ARF! ARF!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

AWESOME!!!

Are you going to get a Grunt bucket that way you have both? Also, just out of curiosity how tall are you?

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:AWESOME!!!

Are you going to get a Grunt bucket that way you have both? Also, just out of curiosity how tall are you?
Yes, I'm going to get one of Kev's grunt buckets too! Two costumes for the price of one can't be beat!
I'm 5ft 11 about 195lbs.

Thanks!

Sean
ARF! ARF! ARF!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thanks Sean, I am 5'7" how much trimming off the kit would be needed? Did you get the Tall, or short kit? Again, many thanks!

TK7664
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK7664 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Thanks Sean, I am 5'7" how much trimming off the kit would be needed? Did you get the Tall, or short kit? Again, many thanks!
You are welcome my friend.

I have the animated clone kit, not the tall/short movie clone kit, so I'm not sure about how the movie kit would fit you. However, if your interested in the animated kit, Kev does have a sizing chart available to ensure the animated kit will fit. I'll look around to see if I can fit it for you...

Thanks!

Sean
ARF! ARF! ARF!

psykojedi7956
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7956

Post by psykojedi7956 »

TK7664 wrote:
Rebel Doughboy wrote:Thanks Sean, I am 5'7" how much trimming off the kit would be needed? Did you get the Tall, or short kit? Again, many thanks!
You are welcome my friend.

I have the animated clone kit, not the tall/short movie clone kit, so I'm not sure about how the movie kit would fit you. However, if your interested in the animated kit, Kev does have a sizing chart available to ensure the animated kit will fit. I'll look around to see if I can fit it for you...

Thanks!

Sean
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11413
Jen's is a short movie kit and she's ~5'6". She hasn't done much trimming on hers (beyond taking off casting edges) and the kit fits her.