Biker Scout Armor Project WARNING: picture heavy

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier
4poziom.waw.pl

Post by Acrylikhan »

I've concluded my research into the proper shape of the knee armor. From the stills here, to watching the movie again, and examining other armorers have interpreted the piece... it's been dizzying, and has become a slight obsession. I've transfered my outline to the top of the MDF slab.

I will start cutting out the general outline (leaving a little fat behind in case of an accident). I am hoping to get the bottom front section cut in, and start shaping. I've purposely downsized my measurements to account for the thickness of the plastic. I am planning to use 1/8th thick styrene or ABS. Really doesn't matter, I'll be painting these anyway.

After I cut off the excess, I will transfer the side portions of my drawing. (Right now, it's a bit uneven.)

As Da Vinci said... just removing the unnecessary bits. :D
Retired from Star Wars Costuming - then again retirement is overrated

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

Ooooo . . . pretty. That must be one heck of a saw to cut through all those layers!

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Nah... just a standard table saw. Make one pass at the highest cutting level. Flip the part, and make another pass to get the rest. Any left over material, I use a band saw to lop off.

Just like destroying X-Wings! :lol:

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

I'm still recovering from a sever cold, but I wanted to share with you my progress I've made so far.

Did massive trimming to the block to get it into the proper shape of the knee armor. I'm also having to watch how to align the surface details, and to make sure I do not create any areas that will lock the plastic on to the buck. I had that problem with thigh boxes, and I don't want to repeat that.

I really wanted to sculpt the block as one piece, but with the strange angles I need to cut and shape, it would be too difficult. I cut off the top portion for ease.

The bottom of the block was easy. I made my cuts, and then smoothed them out with a disc sander. So far it looks fairly symmetrical. I added the front elevation from some scrap pieces of MDF. I drew the outline for the bottom sides, and will be adding material for the raised sections. Probably a combination of scrap MDF and Bondo.

For the top part, I need to make a slight curve up around the depression, more MDF and Bondo.

Then it'll be time to turn my attention to the troughs that outline the intersecting plates. Getting there. Slow, and steady.

SHortTrooper
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by SHortTrooper »

:D

Very interesting and cool how you are making this. It's like having your own costume making class with pictures!

Short Trooper (Diana)
Well, I'm going THIS way, not THAT way!

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

I went back to work today, and in between coughs, a running nose, and my co-workers stopping me from drilling out my sinuses with a Forsner bit, I put a little effort into the buck.

I started building up the raised panels on the lower portion of the armor. Some MDF strips, and then started putting the body filler to fix some sanding boo-boos, while building up the wall thickness. I'm following the MoM exhibit photographs and trying to mimic them. I'm also trying to visualize how the plastic is going to react and try to see where it may "lock" onto the buck.

The top portion I am satisfied with for now.

The indentation was created with a slight outward angle. The plastic shouldn't lock on to it. I hope.

I'm saving the angled troughs after the whole thing is glued back together. Maybe before the end of this week if everything goes well.

And just a taste of what it may look like when re-assembled. I know... she's still pretty ugly.

SHortTrooper
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by SHortTrooper »

Looks good to me and I hope your cold/flu gets better soon and you can get back to work!

Short Trooper (Diana)

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

More bondo work to smooth out the bottom. I'll need to make a template so I know where I have to cut. The lower "shelf" is one complete surface now. It should make the plastic easier to remove. I hope....

I have to put round over some edges and add some flaring angles. Then I will glue the top with the bottom, and the carve in the troughs.

getting there... getting there!!!!

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 118

Post by TK118 »

I cant see pics. Is it me or are they not working for everyone?

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Dammit! The server's blown... It's going to take a few hours to get this fixed...

Sorry... :cry:

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

... okay.... the server seems to be up now. (Crosses fingers)

SHortTrooper
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by SHortTrooper »

I can see the pics now and things look very well done...

Keep up the good work....

Short Trooper (Diana)

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Time for an armor progress update to celebrate my advancing to the rank of Imperial Soldier (Yeah... i'm freakin' sad). Since I'm logging overtime through this past weekend, I've been hacking away at the knee armor buck. I wish I was home working on this among other things... but a I trooper's got to eat, and fund the project.

So what's new? Just a few things. I glued the top and bottom halves together! And I started putting in the "grooves." I have to start laying out the boundary lines between the part areas and putting in some "slopes" so that I can get the plastic off the buck after casting. I've got a lot of scrap MDF that I had trimmed from the part and some bondo that I'll use for that. It's looking very good.

I keep coming back to the MOM pictures, and movie captures. They give me more hints to what needs to be done next. I keep coming back to this picture... it's says a lot. I think it's the perspective.

I am seeing a bit of shadow from the lower side panel into the trough between it and the lower center panel.

As the lower panel recedes back, it somewhat blends into the trough.

I made the ares straight flat, so I will have to make a bit of an angled ridge to get that effect.

The blending the lower sides and the upper sides should be no problem. I think it will very easy to create the smooth transition. I still need to round some of the corners over a little more. The top part I feel is complete, except for adding the slopes. Now it's time to flesh out the details.

More to come!

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Final Buck photos:

Next posting - the cast parts. Hopefully, they'll turn out great!

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Gearin' up! Getting the plastic tomorrow after noon!! Soon....!

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Got the plastic. I had some heavy problems trying to cast a part. I think part of the heating coils might not be heating up properly, and I could not get a good seal for a vacuum. I have to double check everything tomorrow. This could take an extra day, or two.

Most of the details I am looking for did show up in the casting. If I could have a gotten a good seal for a vacuum, they might be crisper. I think a temperature may offer more stretch from the plastic.

None the less, it's a good part to try for fitting. I gotta practice my trimming skills, too! :lol: Lookie, my cardboard mock up from a few months back! Hello, old friend! Once again, you help me in my hour of need.

Judging from some of the stills, the knee armor is sitting accurately on my leg. I think the boot-to-knee armor distance is also close. Then again, I could still trim at least another quarter of an inch from the bottom. If I load an elastic strap, it will sit right smack in the middle of the back of the knee joint. The fit is great!

We'll try tomorrow. If not, there still next week. Very good day, even though the pull was so-so.

SHortTrooper
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by SHortTrooper »

That is fantastic on how you did th at! Keep on trying and I know you'll get a good one off of the mold soon.

Short Trooper(Diana)

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Hi, Diana!

We were a little busy today, so I will be attempting two pulls tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Update.

SUCCESS!!!!

It was hell getting them off the frakin' buck, even with a ton of talc!! I had to make some score lines and to help flex the parts off the pattern! I am a little surprised that you can see some of the layers from the MDF! Pretty funny! A think a quick sanding with 320 to 600 should do the trick. Then some nice paint on top!

You can tell the difference between the two casts.... check it out.

Notice how crisp the lines are! There was a somewhat loose connection in the coils, but a quick tighten fixed that. I let the plastic cook a little longer, too.

I need to trim and cut out the holes for the elastic.

More to come! It has been a awesome today!!!

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

Absolutely fantastic. Great job.