im still a few years off, but...

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

hopeful recruit
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier
4poziom.waw.pl

im still a few years off, but...

Post by hopeful recruit »

I'm wanting to joint the MWG of the 501st, but am a couple of years off of the minimum age. I also don't have armor. Could you guys (and gals) help me on this? Excluding age and uniform, I'm as much of an enthusiast as you people are. Could you give me some tips on building up a set of armor (TK, TC, SL, or BH) over the course of 2-4 years? I really want to do this, but I don't have the $600-$1200 for the armor.

I appreciate any/all help you can give me.

A hopefull recruit.

JREDMAN29
501st Member
501st Member

Post by JREDMAN29 »

well read the boards and check out some sites. There is a lot of info out. One good one out is http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html
very good site.http://www.jedi-academy.com/ and here is another.
Jonnie Wishbone
Trust No One........

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com

This is the site you seek for all of your Fett needs.

The costume pictured above is not accurate, complete or professional in quality and would not be eligible for 501st Legion membership. Follow the guidence of those in the dented helmet forums and in a few years you too may be a member of the 501st with a rocking good Fett.

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

It is really hard to tell from those pictures. The people at the dented helmet are your best judges on what to keep. Take some good pictures of each piece and post them on the TDH forums. Ask for advice., They will give you plenty of things to think about.

Keep in mind that a properly done Fett can run around 2500 - 3500 US dollars to complete.

hopeful recruit
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

$2500-$3500?!?!?!?!?! :shock: OK, um.... wow.....

Which is the easiest and cheapest suit to make?

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

While Imperial Crew tends to be "cheaper & easier" (I say "easier" rather than "easy" because even the crew costume has specific requirements), one thing you need to keep in mind is that the 501st isn't about "cheap & easy." We have a reputation of being the Star Wars costuming group, and we're very proud of that...which also means that we pride ourselves on our top-notch costumes that got us that reputation.

Being a member of the 501st is more than just putting on the costume, getting the membership number, and message forum posting privileges. Along with it comes the responsibility of unofficially representing LucasFilms (hence, the 18-year-old requirement) as professionals.

This isn't a hobby for everyone. We've all spent tons of money and hours working on our costumes so that they meet and exceed the quality & accuracy requirements of the 501st. There have been many people who tried to skate around the cost factor by using cheaper and more commonly available substitutes, and the quality of that shows.

I've seen TIE pilots wearing black sweatpants and black sweatshirts. Stand that person next to a 501st TIE pilot who's wearing an actual flightsuit, and the difference is painfully obvious. I saw a guy wearing the exact same Stormtrooper armor that most 501st members wear, but he didn't pay attention to the assembly instructions or take his time in putting it together, so his armor was a total slop-job.

And I mean it -- it was horrible. He wasn't a member, but because he saw the rest of us, he gravitated towards us thinking that we were all just there in costume rather than playing an official role at the event. Nobody wanted to stand near him because we didn't want to be associated with that degree of sloppiness.

But it was obvious that he got the kit and slapped it together carelessly.

My suggestion to you, HR, is to save your money and spend the time to do the research. If you're a few years from being 18, you've got plenty of time to save and study. Pick a costume that you REALLY want to do, and would be proud to wear -- whether it's Boba Fett or Jango or a Biker Scout. Don't just go for the quickest and easiest route in, because you will end up regretting it in some way.

Find out what components are required (the Legion will be publishing those lists soon), and how they're made. Research the difference between an Altmann's Biker Scout helmet vs. the Rubies Biker Scout helmet and figure out which one works better for you, for example. Look into the advantage of one type of boot over another, and what the quality differences appear to be between one price and another.

The time and effort spent in doing this research, asking the right questions, and going over past posts on various message forums will make the end result so much more worth it to you because the costume you crafted will be that much more valuable in the time and energy you spent on it.
Rome

TK257
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK257 »

Also, keep in mind it's more than just running around playing Star Wars. We do quite a bit of charity work, helping to raise money for the Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Children's Hospital of Chicago, just to name a few. Thats the real rewarding part of doing this.

protoKev
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 3290

Post by protoKev »

also, on TDH there have been a lot of progress made on printable templates you can use to make all the armor (the gauntlts are still in progress) the jetpack, and even the helmet now.

it takes time but you could build your own fett, and if you know someone that sews even make your own jumpsuit.

So dont be discouraged, you can do it yourself it just takes a lot of work to get right.

I do think there have been people who have made sheet metal armor, but it might be easier to work with a material called sentra, its a plastic that you can heat up with hot water or a heat gun and shape it.

Good luck, i am thinking of making a fett too here eventually (except the helmet)

LionsPride
501st Member
501st Member

Post by LionsPride »

Take all the above advise to heart......

Costuming on a 501st level takes a lot of time, research, cash and sweat to get an acurate costume together that will be 501st approved.

Best advise I could give you is from my own experiance - DO YOUR HOMEWORK..... reashearch everything you can about the costume you want to make, find and visit some of the available communities that relate to this character and costume, and read, read, read.... TDH has an unlimited amount of Fett information there, word of caution though, don't go to any site and start asking a bazillion questions right off the bat, you'll just get flamed and ignored, most of the questions you have , have already been asked several times over, search the forums and try to find the info yourself, thats a good place to start, after your comfortable about what direction you need to go and have a little knowledge under your belt, then start posting with intelligent questions about things your unsure of or need guidance with.

If your here asking if the costume you posted is good enough, then you obviously arent really ready to start thinking about joining the 501st. Thats not a flame and by no means meant to discourage you, just that you really need to research the costume better.

Get yourself aclimated with the character and the costume, find the available resources that are out there, do your homework and have fun learning all there is to know about costuming.

I myself researched Fett for 3 months before I even began to think I wanted to start putting the costume together, and 4 months later and over $1300.00 I'm still putting the costume together.

Honestly if you don't have access to a lot of cash, you might want to rethink your costume choice, and go for something easier, or cheaper. There are a lot of options of costumes that might be easier for your first one.

Good luck with whatever you decide and above all, have fun. Learning it all is 1/2 the fun.

hopeful recruit
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

thanks, LP, I'll remember that. BTW, which is the easiest of the armors to make? Also, is the "bucket armor" suitable for the 501st?

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

These are the kinds of questions you have to be careful to avoid on places like TDH. There is no "cheap" or "easy", like we keep telling you. If you want to do 501st-quality costumes, you have to come to grips with the fact that it's going to be hard work and it's likely going to be expensive in the long run.
Rome

Gator Fett
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Gator Fett »

Hello hopeful. I understand your desire for Fett. He was always my favorite character from the movies, and that is why I chose to make a Boba as my first costume.

Like others have said, this is not a "cheap" or "easy" hobby. Some costumes are less expensive than others, but there are standards for each and every costume out there, and meeting those standards costs time and money.

As far as Boba Fett is concerned, I feel that over the last few years, the bar has been raised. What was once an acceptable Fett is now cheap looking and sub-standard. The 501st is working on some costuming guidelines, for each of the costumes, but here is my take on the base requirements for some of the major parts for Boba. NOTE: This is just my opinion. I am not a membership officer, and any final decisions on the accuracy / quality of a costume is determined by the MWG command staff.

HELMET:
Don Post or Rubies. NO
"Mystery" sized fiberglass. YES

ARMOR:
Rubber placemat. NO frickin way
Sintra. MAYBE if shaped and sized correctly.
Fiberglass. YES

JETPACK:
Scratch built. MAYBE if built and sized correctly.
Resin Recast. MAYBE if modified correctly.
MLC or BM Fiberglass. YES

BLASTER:
Plastic ray gun. NO, try again.
Scratch built. MAYBE if built correctly.
Resin or Hyperfirm EE-3. YES

And these items are just the tip of the iceberg. You will need a jumpsuit, boots, spats, shin tools, knee armor, cod & butt armor, girth belt, ammo belt, armor vest, neck seal, wookie braids, cape, gauntlets & gloves.

I noticed you joined over at TDH. I will say hi to you over there and help you get started on your quest for Fett. :)

Gator

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

Same rules apply -- the costumes have to be of top notch quality and accuracy. For a Royal Guard, the first thing would be to replace the stock lens that comes on a common Don Post helmet.

You can do whatever you'd like as a custom project, but no matter what the base costume, customs are not allowed as official 501st entries.
Rome

tk0084
501st Member
501st Member

Post by tk0084 »

You could always go for doing a Tusken Raider. It is not too expensive if you can do most of the stuff yourself, probably around $200 - $300. The robes will cost you about $60 - $70 if you can sew them yourself (which isn't hard) & you can put a helmet together for $40 if you can put it together yourself. Actual bandoliers from WWI era will cost about $70 + S&H (just bought some today) or you can make your own (but trust me, they are no where as nice as the real deal) & then your down to the wraps for your arms (need a pair of gloves too) & legs/feet. If you can't do this on your own then it will cost you much more to buy completed parts, figure $400 - $600 & I've never seen anyone who sells the wraps.

As everyone keeps saying, we spend time & money on our costumes, if you want cheap then you won't be in the 501st. Don't take short cuts cause you will be disappointed in the long run.

hopeful recruit
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Crimson wrote: You can do whatever you'd like as a custom project, but no matter what the base costume, customs are not allowed as official 501st entries.
The ROTS figure of the Imperial Gaurd had a Mando-style armoro underneath, but I can make it a normal gaurd, any advice on it?

Wait a sec, what about the "special forces" factions? You know, the troopers with red/black or blue/gold coloring. Maybe I could fit something into there?
"Those who never take risks never know what could have been."

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

If published reference materials exist, then it's generally okay. If it's a creation out of your imagination, then it's not.
Rome

hopeful recruit
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

ok, I found the pic. It's not mandalorian, but pretty close.

Is it ok to use a Boba-ish design in place of the above?
"Those who never take risks never know what could have been."

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Crimson Empire stuff falls into the catagory of "TR: Royal Guard".
~Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it~ G Santayana

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Crimson wrote:???

When did I become the Crimson Empire expert?
I based it off a conversation we had way back when. I assumed you knew what you were talking about ;)

The word is: If you keep your 'robes' shut during pics and official gigs, whatever is under them isn't really important for the TR's.
The CE guys fall into the TR catagory, and they have their own detachment: Sovereign Protectors/Royal Guards http://www.forcepike.com/ Their board is under construction but the forums are up and running.
~Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it~ G Santayana

Jaster
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Jaster »

If I remember correctly, the Crimson Empire stuff can be used, but not Mandalorian armor under the robes. Basically, if it has appeared in movies or in comic books with a picture of it to back you up- you should be fine. I have seen the CE stuff for sale on eBay befor. Honestly though, if you are going to spend that much money on a costume, you might want to get something that is more recognizable than that. I still cringed when I had my Jango costume whenever some one "wanted to pose for a picture with Boba". As a TK, I've never been mistaken for something else... well except that one time someone wanted to "take a picture of a Power Ranger".