Republic Commando Building Thread

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

JREDMAN29
501st Member
501st Member
4poziom.waw.pl

Post by JREDMAN29 »

Ok well lets get together let say at my house. Bring information you can gather and we can divide up duties and job skills. Lets talk about a date. We can do the duct tape person at the same time. How does 2 weeks from today sound.
Jonnie Wishbone
Trust No One........

Jaster
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Jaster »

Sounds good to me. Who are we going to duct tape? Are we doing two different sizes of chest and back armor? I have an old long sleeve shirt, if you want me to model for the "large size" armor.

TK465
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 465

Post by TK465 »

I'm with Redman on this..... we need to set a date to get together.

Jay I was thinking more along the lines of starting with the limbs first. Lemme try something this week over at Mr Redmans and see if it works as well as I'm hoping it does.

"Tigga"
TK465
"No, I'm not a Sandtrooper...I just fall down a lot!"

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

I soooo want to help with this! The problem is that I live in east central Illinois and probably couldn't make it to Michigan(?) for a meeting. I've never sculpted anything and I don't have a vac table. It sounds like this armor will be reasonably priced and that's a big plus for me.

I would like to be in on this project because I really want the commando armor, but what can I do to help???
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

BDA TK7503
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7503

Post by BDA TK7503 »

I could possibly help out as well but i also live in Central IL.

I could possibly make a vac table, it doesn't look very difficult.

As for sculpting i can make something if dimensions are given.

I might be able to draw the project in CAD but only 2D as i'm still learning (self teaching) and haven't had time to mess with the 3D stuff. I currently have AutoCAD 2005

Detroit is a 5hr each way drive :(
All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi!
Rule of life #7. Whatever the question, Costumes are always a good answer.

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 265

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

I have a vac table. I would like to get involved in this. This is atleast legit and I wouldn't have to worry about losing anything. I do live in Illinois but would still like to do my part in this.

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

<blink>

BDA TK7503
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by BDA TK7503 »

Javier i can make it to the Joliet bridge on 55 in about 1hr 15 min. How far into Joliet do you live? Maybe one weekend Chip and I could make a trip up.
All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi!

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

I'm working on the heating unit next, I should have my oven for the table done soon. I could form anything that is 21" by 17" but I will be making a new table for a 24" X 24" inch sheet. Unless you think I would need it any bigger.

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

I get my ABS from GE Polymers in Naperville. They cut an 8' x 4' to the sheet sizes that you want. I paid $30.00 for .80 ABS and got 8 or 10 21"x 17" sheets from it. They have .90 and higher ABS thickness in white and black. I now need to buy the foam so that I could start making models of parts. Once that is done I could make the masters from resin and we could do anything!!! Let me know how you guys want to go about doing this.........I'm all ears.....

TK0585
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TK0585 »

Im Willing to travel if needed

Need a Hand?

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

I could definitely make this trip with Jeremy. It just depends on the date.

Javier, it sounds like you know how to sculpt. Is that true? I'd be willing to help with this, but I've never sculpted anything. Can we use CAD for any of this or will it be "eyeballed"?

It may be early for this, but should we be chipping in for the cost of the foam?
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

Javier, just let me know and I'll be there.

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Will you guys please come kidnap 826 for this? He has had that clone armor sitting in a box for months now.

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

I have a box full of clone crap we could use as starter material if need be.

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

Cool.............we could use some type of model to improve off of or for reference. I am working on getting the parts together for the larger table and the heating unit. I already found a source for the sculpting foam. How soon does anyone want to get going with this? This way I know when to get started on building the new items. Dan 280 built the heating unit already so I need to get a hold of him so that I could look at his table and copy it. He did a great job with it.
I start the day shift, for good, on April 2. Thank God!!!

BDA TK7503
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by BDA TK7503 »

I avail most weekends

Can start as soon as you want

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

"Clone crap...."
:snap: :rollin:
Rome

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

LOL...............Rome I never cared top be anything but a CLEAN WHITE STORMTROOPER but would like to be a 501ST Clonetrooper!
I am going to Home Depot or Menards tomorrow to buy the parts to make the larger vacuum table. Then I will start on the heating table. Once I have this all done then we could start the process of making the models. I have a drafting table so I will start on the drawings of the Clone Trooper and the Republic Commando. I wish I had a 3-D program for drawing on the computer. That would make it so much easier.
So should we start a list of who is going in on this project? I know the guys from Michigan started this so maybe we could put our collective heads together and figure out if we are going to somehow do this with the guys from Michgan or are we going to go at this with the guys in Wisconsin and Illinois? I don't want to step on anyones toes.
I am very serious about doing this. We could all have Clone and Commando Armor. It will cost a lot of money to just get going with modeling and making molds but once this is done the plastic is not expensive at all. One 8' x 4' sheet of white ABS would be able to produce an entire suit for about $40.00 dollars!! And we could make sure that the legs are form fitting. We could make different size thighs and calves that would still be form fitting for the bigger guys. I really don't like the legs on the Glover armor. Those guys from Clone 6 (I think thats their names) have great looking armor!!

Crimson
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Crimson »

It's definitely going to be tough for most of us out here in MI to physically collaborate, so if we share concept models, measurements, material lists, and what-not, that might be as far as we can get.

Jaster and I chatted about this over the weekend and I'd wondered what I could do to help besides just financing the project and he pointed out that I can help with the electronics. Rawk.
Rome