Question about fiber optics...

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

laplanderfinn
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet
4poziom.waw.pl

Question about fiber optics...

Post by laplanderfinn »

Ok. I need to know how fiber optics work... how do they hook up to a power source and the like. Anyone know anything about them?

JREDMAN29
501st Member
501st Member

LIGHTS

Post by JREDMAN29 »

THEY GENERALY WORK BY A LIGHT SOURCE, THE FIBEROPTIC STRAND AND WHAT EVER IT HOOKS TO BE THE STAND ITSELF OR A CLEAR RECEPTICAL. I HAVE HOOKED UP a lot OF STUFF WITH THIS. VERY EASY. EMAIL OR CALL ME FOR MORE INFO.I USE FIBERSTAR PRODUCTS BUT THEY DO NOT SELL TO THE PUBLIC. THIS CAN ALL BE DONE USING 12 OR 9 VOLT SYSTEM TOO. THATS IF YOU CAN DO THE WIRING. MUST HAVE A VERY BRIGHT LIGHT TO GET THE LIGHT TO SHINE. YOU CAN GET THE BASIC IDEA OFF THE CHEAPO TREES OR WREATHS WHATEVER IS OUT RIGHT NOW.
JON 5867767713
JREDMAN29@WOWWAY.COM
Trust No One........

BDA TK7503
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7503

Post by BDA TK7503 »

What are you wanting to do with fiber? Send information, signals, computers, cameras. Or are you looking for cool lighting effects?

I install and terminate fiber optic cables. Power is applied to the transmitters and recievers they send light/laser signals to each other.

Now we are installing "fiber" lights that you hook a large hologen lamp to one end and it lights up the bare fiber. You can run it to look like neon lighting.
Also had a customer that wanted the stars on their ceiling so we drilled thousands of tiny holes in their ceiling and put small fibers in them and hooked them into a light cannon. It was really cool.
All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi!
Rule of life #7. Whatever the question, Costumes are always a good answer.

laplanderfinn
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Post by laplanderfinn »

It is for lighting effects, but I am looking to use a fiber optic sheet.

BDA TK7503
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7503

Post by BDA TK7503 »

Im not sure of a manufacture off hand but i can ask around.

How large of a sheet are you looking to light and what thickness?

We have some Acrylic Exit lights that have led's hidden on one end and they light up the glass. Those are about 1/4" panels and the led's can run on battery power for awhile.
All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi!
Rule of life #7. Whatever the question, Costumes are always a good answer.

laplanderfinn
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Post by laplanderfinn »

they are Red 7" x 12" Fiber Optic Fluorescent Sheets