TREE DODGERS .. ?

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

501st Member
501st Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 7696

TREE DODGERS .. ?

Post by 138 »

OK. 8)

SINCE THE ARF IS OFF THE TABLE FOR NOW. :cry:
:lol: :lol:
ID LIKE TO MOVE ALONG SO TO SAY WITH LIZ'S SCOUT ..
WITH A LITTLE MORE HASTE THAN BEFORE.
I HAVE NEARLY 400 LEFT AFTER THE WIFES NICKLE AND DIME DEPLETION OF MY FUNDS ..(WHICH MOSTLY WAS ACCEPTABLE LOSSES
AND THINGS THAT NEEDED TAKING CARE OF ) SO NOT UPSET JUST MORE OF AN OH WELL MAYBE NEXT TIME?

IVE BEEN WANTING TO GET LIZ GOING ANYWAY ..

SINCE I KNOW VERRY LITTLE OF THE SCOUTS . AND WE HAVE MANY FINE TREE DODGERS/LANCERS IN THE MIGHTY MIDWEST GARRISON ..

IM KINDA REACHING OUT FOR INFO.HELP/ETC...

I HAVE SOME BASICS.. I HAVE A LOW GRADE SET OF ATTIN MILLER ARMOR
FOR HER TO START OUT WITH .......IF ONCE DONE AND SHE DECIDES THAT THIS "IS" FOR HER AFTER A DOZEN OR SO OUTINGS ( I KNEW AFTER MY FIRST ) :wink: ... WE MAY MOVE ON TO A SET OF SC ARMORS...???AND MAYBE A MLC LID ..

I HAVE A CORRECT COLLARED FLIGHT SUIT . TO GO OUT TO LADY GHOST IN THE FLG FOR THE CORRECT MODS AND MUDFLAP . FOR 80$ IN THE GARAGE I HAVENT SENT IT YET .

(IF SOMEONE IN THE KNOW CAN ALSO DO IT FOR THE SAME $ OR LESS I KNOW WE HAVE OUR OWN FINE SEAMSTRESS'S IN THE MWG AND THE RL ,,ID LIKE TO KEEP IT IN HOUSE SO TO SAY ?)

AIMEE HAS AGREED TO POSSIBLY DO THE BOOTS FOR HER WHEN WE GET A LITTLE CLOSER TO THAT TIME .. (WICH LIZ IS EXTATIC ABOUT -AND THANKS YOU -) :wink:

LADY SEWS FOR US CAN DO THE CUMBER BUND AND BAGS FOR 100$
I KNOW a lot OF TROOPERS USE HER FOR CONSIGNMENT OF OTHER PROPS AND SHE IS BIG ON BSN ....AND THE COST IS HALF OF WHAT LADYGHOST CHARGES ... BUT IVE SEEN THAT SAME PART ON A FEW OF OUR SCOUTS AND OURS IN MY OPINION OURS ARE BETTER !!

IM NOT SHURE WHO ALL DOES OURS,? AND I DONT WANT TO VOULENTER ANYONE . AND I KNOW EVERYONES TIME COSTS DIFFERENTLY
BUT IF YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND ARE OF INTEREST ?? ID STILL LIKE TO KEEP AS MUCH AS I CAN IN HOUSE POST HERE OR PM ME ANY INFO ?

SHE IS VERRY EXCITED TO GET THIS GOING . TO SAY THE LEAST..

AND I HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE FLACK JACKET ??
DOES SHE NEED ONE ? OR NO? WHO MAKES THEM IF SO ?

I KNOW BETH MADE ONE BUT SHE IS WIS NOW? AND I KNOW LISA HAS A JACKET CUMBERBUND COMBO .. WHICH IS COOL ALSO

I JUST DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE SCOUTS OTHER THAN THEY ARE PRETTY SWEET .... :twisted: AND I KNOW WE HAVE ANOTHER COUPLE OF SCOUT BUILDS COMING UP THIS ORAT THE BEGINING OF NEXT YEAR ?

IVE STILL TO LOCATE TANK TOPER TBITS RTC ... ALL THE LITTLE PIECES

AND I KNOW I WILL HAVE TO GET AN SC BOOT HOLSTER AS THE AM IS TOO SMALL AND LOOKS BAD. AND I MAY NEED THE SC BELT PARTS ALSO???

BUT I CAN MAYBE MAKE DO WITH WHAT WE HAVE FOR THE BELT??? THEY ARE ALL SEPERATE PICES OF ABS ?? IS THE FRONT SUPPOSED TO BE ALL 1 PIECE OR 3 WE HAVE (WITHOUT LOOKING ABOUT 5 PICES MAYBE MORE ??)
OK BACK TO WORK I WILL ADD MORE LATER .. :D
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

Vadersblade
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8310

Post by Vadersblade »

I did a lot of poking around on BSN when I went through painting and upgrading parts to my armor:
http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?act=idx

I don't believe you need the jacket for 501st approval, just Lancer status. Ladysewforus does good work, I don't own anything of hers but over on TDH they are all about her Fett flightsuits.

$80 for the full flightsuit with the correct mudflap and straps sounds like a pretty good deal to me. But then again I don't know if anyone local makes them.

Acrylikhan(?spelling?) is local and I believe offers some parts, he might be able to get you the bits and pieces you need. My upgraded T-Bits (the parts on the bicep that are black) are MonCal, he offers some parts (like toppers) as well.

The boots are pretty easy, if you follow the boot tutorial over on BSN. They're just work boots with a few pieces of white vinyl-ish cloth over them, velcroed up in back.

501st Member
501st Member

Post by 138 »

THANKS ROB.

:wink:

IVE DONE A BIT OF BUISNESS WITH MC ILL SHOOT KATHY A MAIL ABOUT THE SMALL PARTS ..

LIZ SCOUT WILL SOON HAVE A RUBIES FOR A STARTER HELMET ..
I WILL NEED TO SEARCH OUT THE MODIFICATION THREAD ..
THANKS TO JEREMY . :wink:
THANKS FOR HOOKING HER UP . J :D

SO I HAVENT HAD A RESPONSE FROM DENISE ON WHERE TO SEND THE FLIGHT SUIT OFF TOO . AND IM THINKING MAYBE THE LADY SEWS FOR US IS THE WAY TO GO ON THE CUMBER BUND .
AND FOR NOW WE WILL SKIP THE FLACK JACKET .. AS

WERE NOT LOOKING FOR LANCER STATUS AT THIS TIME .. MAYBE AFTER SOME UPGRADES AND REPLACED PARTS AROUND 18-ISH :lol:
BUT FOR NOW AT 14 - NO RUSH . SHE JUST WANTS TO BE INCLUDED ON A COSTUMED LEVEL ... SHE IS ALREADY TREATED AS AN EQUAL BY ALL ....

AND FOR THIS I SINCEARLY THANK EVERYONE .. :P
i'm so far from normal.
#transparency

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

The scout was just posted to the Legion site's CRL. The vest and suede bits are not necessary for membership in regards to the flight suit. They are, however, required for the Lancer status...I never bothered w/ the suede crotch...why open myself up for more jokes when it'd only be there to make a few BSN guys happy? :lol:

Boots are a snap ;) I'm going to rework mine-probably this weekend, and I'll send you some pics. All she really needs is a pair of tan soled work boots-I'll be slicing the back of them, and removing part of the top in the back, so old or worn out boots may be your best choice. Otherwise, Walmart (and others) usually carry them from $20-35). I wouldn't bother with steel toed boots...but they DO hold the vinyl better as far as shaping. (the more movement in the shoe, the more likely they are to wrinkle and warp and stress the vinyl covering).
I'm just stoked I finally found the right material to use :D

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Ladysewforus is the way to go now. Ladyghost (Denise) is officially retired from making the Biker Scout soft armor.

Armor kits usually include the tank and bicep detail parts, depending who you go with. The detonator can be detailed with a black plastic cylinder/knob/model car parts, and rubber feet that are available at Radio Shack. (Do they still exist?) I'll have to find the catalog number if you are interested.
Retired from Star Wars Costuming - then again retirement is overrated

501st Member
501st Member

Post by 138 »

You guys are awesome
I'm gratefull for all this help.
The flightsuit went out to the flg today to ladyghost
for mods, suade and mudflap .

Lady sews for us will do the cumberbund and bags
I have to get back to her with measurements ... Yes she is buisy
I need to know white bags or off white bags for the cumberbund ??

White right ??

Aimee
Boots ... We will have to get her some she has a hundred pairs
of converse . But no boots I'll have Jill look for a set of steel toe with the tan bottoms Online and I'll look at walmart ? I wonder what size she wears in mens boots ? I may get them a tad big incase she isn't done growing yet ?

And lady sew for us will make the cumberbund a tad big for the same reason the Velcro should be fine and allow for it to be let out over time if
need be??

Acriykahn - sorry I know I spelled that way off !! I think we met at the zoo ' at the food place. I was the tattoo'd guy in the grey armored cav shirt !
The armor is new/ used so no parts '
I need to email Kathy and cal and get a price quote on bits ?
Any part #' s from the shack would be of great help ;)

I'm off to read over your build thread ;)
i'm so far from normal.
#transparency

Vadersblade
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8310

Post by Vadersblade »

I'd go with off-white if you plan to dirty the armor up, and white if you don't. The off white looks kinda odd if everything else is polished and sparkly.

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Def go w/ the same color as the cummerbund. That way they weather together. Just don't make them square! I keep seeing people advise others to make them square and they're not. I'm super picky about the pouches, and they should be taller than they are wide, and they should be sized appropriately for the person wearing them. It doesn't look right to have a set of huge pouches on a small frame, just like it doesn't look right to have small ones on a large. I think the standard is something like 7" x 5". I opted for a 6" x 4" on my last set, and I think Kathy stuck to that with my new ones. Jeff has a tutorial up on his SC site: http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bi ... rbund.html

You don't "need" the steel toed shoes, though sometimes the cost is the same, and in that case, go for it. Depends on the boot, and what she'll be comfortable wearing for a few hours at a time. Not everyone can handle the extra 5 or so lbs a shoe ;) As for sizing, I wear a mens 6.5, which translates to an 8.5 in womens...I think normally the size is off by 2, but don't hold me to that ;)

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

138 wrote: Acriykahn - sorry I know I spelled that way off !! I think we met at the zoo ' at the food place. I was the tattoo'd guy in the grey armored cav shirt !
A pleasure to meet you in person! Sorry I had to leave you so soon into the conversation, the wives and kids wanted to see some of the animals before the parade started.

I got the Radio Shack Catalog number: Catalog #: 64-2342

Here's the direct link to Radio Shack's Website:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2104070

I went with white for the pouches and cummerbund. I agree with Vaderblade: It looks nice and uniform- How the military would have it.

I still gotta get the chest armor bucks made.... and mods to my flightsuit... already!

iceburgh
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9442

Post by iceburgh »

I'm just stoked I finally found the right material to use
Where'd you find some? I need to redo my boots someday, heck even my belt.
Chris
aka Iceburgh / Lunchbox

RileyBear
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 1574

Post by RileyBear »

*ducks head*
I still need to assemble my gear. I kept putting it off and putting it off. I am just plain out of excuses now...

I got the Isreali canvas boots for my base. I will probably have a double layer of the vinyl over the top of the foot for stability as well as to build it up to level it.

I'm just plain scared to cut into all that plastic! Serves me right for trying to save a few bucks and getting the rough cut from KS.
"Some people are like Slinkies.
They're really good for nothing.
But they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs."

501st Member
501st Member

Post by 138 »

ok . ive been peering over the helmet mods from Acrylikhan's build thread
MOST IMPRESSIVE

awsome job night and day difference on the bucket an ecellent job..
you have an abundance of talent .. :wink:

i in no way will be able to do that ... besides i wanted togo with the rubies for now because its wide and i didnt know how well it will fit her .. she has her mom and granpa's noggin :lol:

white and white ..matching and ill have to look again at how her bags are done ?? i dont even know ? hopefully i can get jill to help measure her today after i get home. i do remember her inquireing on a tread i saw about size relation to the wearer and how to judge this upon asembly etc...

and i think im going to run a couple places and see if we can find usable boots ?
since the armor is second hand its allready trimmed not assembled .. sorta good sorta bad . from the look of some pieces i have doubts?
but well see how it goes .... i need to do a bit more research before i start .. and get some white abs for support pieces and etc ...
i'm so far from normal.
#transparency

iceburgh
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9442

Post by iceburgh »

i in no way will be able to do that ... besides i wanted togo with the rubies for now because its wide and i didn't know how well it will fit her .. she has her mom and granpa's noggin
Just keep in mind the warping issues with those helmets and technically some of the mods that you need to do to them to make them more accurate.
Chris
aka Iceburgh / Lunchbox

501st Member
501st Member

Post by 138 »

Understood :)
Im trying to find some of the other rubies mod threads . Also .. I intend to get her a mlc or a mc. If she decides to stay scout .. I will upgrade her. Around 17-18.
That way she is fresh for entry to the legion :) and if she decides on something else well we will cross that bridge later ( she is a huge tusken fan !! ).
i'm so far from normal.
#transparency

BrianJGibbs
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by BrianJGibbs »

Try the lancers crl on pathfinders it lists all the mods that are needed for a rubies.

LONG LIVE TREE HUGGERS lol
Costume to-do List:

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

heh-heh... yeah I went all out getting that bucket too look right!

If you can slim the hood down with the faceplate, it'll look better. The problem with Vinyl is that it is so heat sensitive. If you'll looking for the barest minimum to make it look good, here's what I would recommend:

1) Use an 1/8" metal rod or wire coat hanger to reinforce the brim and the neck of the bucket part. That will keep it's shape for the faceplate

2) Then reinforce the "hood" around its outer edge and sort of mimic the shape of the bucket where the hood and the bucket meet. The rubies is a close tight fit to begin with! So as you're working on this, have your wife try it on during the process.

3) The last would be to reinforce the inside of the chin of the faceplate.

Use hot glue so that you can tweak the mods better.

I think there is a sticky for a very simple rubies mod on BSN... I think its in the Helmet section, or in the Archived section.

--
To my understanding of BSN's "Lancer" standards - Rubies are not acceptable unless a miracle has been performed on them.

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Hunting and FOUND THEM!

Two PDFs, and here's the links to my website to download them:

Tutorial by EBTrooper:

http://www.frankkrug.net/bikerscout/Sco ... torial.pdf

Tutorial by Jeezy-Creezy:

http://www.frankkrug.net/bikerscout/Sco ... ial_JC.pdf

These were the templates for my rubies mod.

BrianJGibbs
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by BrianJGibbs »

Acrylikhan wrote:To my understanding of BSN's "Lancer" standards - Rubies are not acceptable unless a miracle has been performed on them.
I never said they were easy mods :lol:
Costume to-do List:

501st Member
501st Member

Post by 138 »

Acrylikhan wrote:Hunting and FOUND THEM!

Two PDFs, and here's the links to my website to download them:

Tutorial by EBTrooper:

http://www.frankkrug.net/bikerscout/Sco ... torial.pdf

Tutorial by Jeezy-Creezy:

http://www.frankkrug.net/bikerscout/Sco ... ial_JC.pdf

These were the templates for my rubies mod.
thanks those will help..

also i got the helmet ..(thanks jeremy )
i thought liz would bust when i handed it to her.. :D

having it out of the box i can understand the situation.

its wonky ... mis shapened . loosy-goosey, sorta warped? material is funky ? and no part of it lines up with any other part of it....

im gonna have my hand full with that .. im going to give it a go..
in no way am i going to try to make a legion acceptable tb of it. i will buy her one later . mlc-ka mc ???

but i am going to give this a shot. at least to make it look better .. her head bealy fits it. but her chin is in no danger of sticking out the bottom :lol:
guess i ned some bondo .spot filler, poxy and etc....

im having no luck finding boots :cry:

nothing has the right sole on it ? or its not the right material or the material of the sole is not the right color . etc... any links i can look over ?
ive been to.....
tjmaxx,target,wallmart,shoe carnival ,meijers ,sears,journeys,penny's, gordmans,farm and fleet. i cant find our red wing boot place?
im thinking online is my only shot? oh i went to all of our resale stores and like goodwill's etc...

im running out of idea's and stores .. just to be clear :) im only looking at the soles .. the upper boot doesnt matter ? does it?
i'm so far from normal.
#transparency

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Try Payless, online. That's were I got mine. They have a shoe print out to measure your foot, and they shipped pretty quick. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit, so it surprised me.

I wish I could help you out with your helmet, but I'm in Northern Illinois...