VOX for my TK bucket

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Imperial1971
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 7155

VOX for my TK bucket

Post by Imperial1971 »

The VOX in my helmet is broken. That's ok because it was very weak to start with. Who can I take it to for a quality replacement??

Thanks!

Mike

"Do you know how many times I've almost fallen off this thing??"

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

So in other terms a speaker? I use Jim Sauter's Aker voice amp and its REALLY loud, and clear. Great to hide in the armor, I use the wireless set up, and soldermaster has gotten one as well...his TK Id is 6294 of the Texas garrison. He provided great service and advice, and it arrived promptly. Here is the link on the FISD,

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?s ... ntry104898

If thats not what you were looking for...sorry!
Last edited by Rebel Doughboy on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Imperial1971
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 7155

Post by Imperial1971 »

That's it! Thanks my brother!!

"Do you know how many times I've almost fallen off this thing??"

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

No problem! Glad I could help :D
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 321

Post by TK321 »

(thank you, I'm ordering one, too!)
Rob, Robb, Robert, Robby.
So many personalities, so little time.

the dark knight
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

i run one 12 watt aker amp on my vader, the one aker is twice as loud as 2 JBL speakers. if your a vader and want to be heard, id suggest the 12 watt! the 10 watt seems a good choice for tk's!

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK321 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:So in other terms a speaker? I use Jim Sauter's Aker voice amp and its REALLY loud, and clear. Great to hide in the armor, I use the wireless set up, and soldermaster has gotten one as well...his TK Id is 6294 of the Texas garrison. He provided great service and advice, and it arrived promptly. Here is the link on the FISD,

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?s ... ntry104898

If thats not what you were looking for...sorry!
I finally ordered this last week and it arrived yesterday. It is amazing! Can't wait to troop with it. No more pantomime when my Radio Shack set-up shorts out... [smilie=annoyedui7.gif]

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Glad you like it Robb! Where do you put it in your armor? Do you have the wireless?

It such a great system and the great thing is that it can be used for any costume :D

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK321 »

I went with the wireless. I figure that way I can take my helmet off (when there are no small children to scare).
I am going to take Jim's suggestion and wear the amp unit around my neck on the lanyard with the receiver mounted on to the inside of my chest armor. All I have to do is connect the cable between the two.
I am impressed with the sound quality and loudness.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Cool, because I am getting a loud squelch when I wear mine. Can you take pics of your rig? It would help enormously!

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Hey guys,
The Jim Sauter Aker rig with his wireless transmitter microphone is what I went with. I've mounted both the speaker and the receiver behind the OII on my back plate. It hasn't given me any problems so far... well, maybe except when I forget to turn everything on before strapping into my TK -- then I have to ask someone to adjust the power switches for me. Of course, no one has complained. The mic and transmitter fit just fine in my bucket. Actually, for the headset, I turned it sideways and mounted it with electrical tape on the inside of my helmet. Seems to work fine, and it didn't take me having to chop up/solder/rewire anything to make it do the job.

And yes, wireless is definitely the way to go!

I've also taken advantage of the extra input port on the Aker amp and plugged a little iPod shuffle into it with only one track loaded on it -- the TK Loop audio file that was posted to the Legion boards. I unveiled that effect at C2E2 last weekend, and I have to say that it was pretty darn cool. And the Aker handled the voice and loop volumes just fine.

I'd certainly be happy to show any of you guys how I've rigged everything the next time we're trooping. Of course, it's not rocket science, and the building blocks are all right there. :)
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Cool, because I am getting a loud squelch when I wear mine. Can you take pics of your rig? It would help enormously!
The speaker is pretty powerful. Even with mine mounted in my back plate, I can still get feedback from time to time if the volume is all the way up and I turn my head just the wrong way.
But mounting the speaker in your back (industrial velcro to the rescue!) can help a little, since presumably your mic is in front, near your mouth...

Of course, there's the easiest solution: Don't turn the volume all the way up! ;)

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

True, I am interested to see both your rigs soon either as pics or a troop. Hopefully I can make the life source blood donation in my TK :D

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK321 »

I've mounted both the speaker and the receiver behind the OII on my back plate. It hasn't given me any problems so far.
Good idea!
But...does it still sound like you're talking directly to the person in front of you (as if it was from your helmet) or does the sound seem to be coming from someplace else?

BLUERAM
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4265

Post by BLUERAM »

does the wireless have different transmit frequencies? Just wondering about interference with other troopers.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

Robb,
I don't know how it sounds from the outside. I'm sure that wiring speakers directly into the aerators would give the best effect, but I haven't heard anyone commenting or complaining that my voice isn't coming from my face.
I haven't really looked into the whole speakers-in-the-aerators thing. Anyone else around here done that?

Blueram,
I haven't run into any problems with other troopers. I've been using mine since my first troop last year, but I'm not sure how many more people have picked up the rigs from the Aker guy since then. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 118

Post by TK118 »

I have 3 speakers in my bucket. 2 in aerators and one behind chin piece.

I have the RS amp and a simple static box.

I also have a Spy ear built in as well :)

I like my set up, not as loud as the other amps out there, But when speakers are in the face of the people your talking to you dont need it to be as loud.

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3446

Post by TK3446 »

Tom- Yours at the St.Charles B-Day party sounded really good. Perfect volume.

I had speakers in my bucket (aerators) that just decided not to work before C2E2. I bought online at www.geeks.com a Takstar DA-130 Portable Voice Amp/Speaker with mic for $15.99. It's very loud and can also plug in an Mp3 player. The only thing is the mic has the cord to the box. I'm most likely going to by the cordless mic conversion from the guy in Texas. The Taksar speaker is thicker than the Aker. I tried to wear it at C2E2 but I mounted it on my back plate where it hits my shoulder blade which then made my back plate stick out. I have fixed it since and it seems to be OK. It's a cheaper alternative to the Aker.
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK321 »

BLUERAM wrote:does the wireless have different transmit frequencies? Just wondering about interference with other troopers.
I doubt there would be much if any interference. You would have to be pretty close, practically sitting in another Troopers lap (and wouldn't that be uncomfortable not to mention slightly obscene) for the frequencies to interfer.
With my old set-up I've been in groups of Troopers where we have been packed pretty tightly and I know most of us had our mic's turned on. There was no interference.
But again, maybe the signal strength wasn't the best in those instances.

We'll just have to see when there are several of us with the Aker systems at the same troop!

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3446

Post by TK3446 »

On the 501st forum about the wireless mic a person did ask about interference. The guy said there can be some if two troopers are within 5 to 10 feet from each other. Sometimes one of the two troopers can talk thru the other troopers speaker.
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446