Doughboy's TK Build

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Oh and the Thermal Det, and raised brow...
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Oh and the Thermal Det, and raised brow...
Yeah no detonator but the raised brow shouldn't be mandatory.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

the dark knight
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

i was jabbing him. :D you cant go wrong with rustoleum, i use it on everything. its very tough and doesnt tend to run as bad as that krylon junk! 8)

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hahaha, well I plan on making one heck of a dirty TD one day. I FINALLY test fitted the suit today, and obivous things are lacking, Thermal Det, knee plate and boxs around the right thigh. I plan on applying those after thier painted seperatly. I also want to use the belt sander on the ab/kidney plates to get a more flush looking seam for less of a side gap. I plan on putting snaps for the belt on the front of the ab, and adding snaps on the chest and back pieces to limit thier range of motion, rather keep it controlled in other words. Or I might just add a strap common on FX suits, I don't know yet.

I plan on cutting a curve on the bottom of thighs because it is a major discomfort attempting to bend to walk, despite that shortcoming I walked around and climbed stairs for two hours just marveling thier was finally a TK in the mirror. The back my own thighs are hurtin but it was well worth it to run around in the thing. Besides that its just sanding everything lightly for the primer, then its that oh so beauitiful Rustoleum Pro Gloss white and get this looking like a real nice'n'shiny TK!

New pics of today's first ever fitting/all at once wearing-but first the little thing that made this possible...

Image The trusty thigh belt I made this morning!

Without further ado!

Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

beans
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 4541

Post by beans »

My jealousy can't be described in words. Amazing work!!! Can't wait to see it all painted up and shiny. How's the finger healing up?

o331marine
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4982

Post by o331marine »

impressive. most impressive really. very nice eye for detail. and the dedication to get it done. very inspiring for the younger builders. keep it up brother man.
MWG comic relief

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

You guys are too kind, really. I can't wait to paint it to hide all my little mistakes...I figure I'd rather do it right, than leave it just 'as is'. If I've already poured a large sum of money into, why cut corners towards the end.

I am a 17 year old kid trying to assemble a TK suit that has no instuctions and is one of the harder builds. At many times I wanted to just scrap it and do FX, or think I never get close enough to finish. It's been a long 5 months since I got that magical brown box and now to finally be done. Phew! Now I wish I had money to start another, because I know to actually to do this! lol, like Noel Green of the MEPD, make a decent TK, then take our BETTER suit and make it all dirty :lol:

Don't worry Sands, there will be another TD in the Midwest Garrision, though it might take a year or so...

the dark knight
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

looks sharp! :D the fun part is painting her up! atleast white is more forgiving than the TX (black). keep the pics comming!!!!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thanks! I'm going fix the aforementioned problems tomorrow, then begin the sanding of everything. I am happy to have a sanding sponge, I can't stand any more white dust on my clothes, and everywhere. Then primer, YAY! I might lightly sand with 320 after that then another light coat of primer. Then it's the holy grail of gloss paint :D

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by iam8114 »

One suggestion, you might want to consider trimming some from the top of your thighs so your thighs can ride a little higher, they're like maybe about an inch or so too long.

Its not something you have to do but it would look more accurate and it would cut down on your knee parts rubbing on your shins especially if you're going to paint the suit.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

How could I take off the unnecessary length? Would I have to cut all the way around the thigh? I only have the feeling I'd screw it up...thanks for the advice! I just might try it if cutting curves into backs of the thighs doesn't fully work. Interestingly enough the curves are canon.

And Beans, the stitches come off tomorrow, so I am escatic :D

beans
501st Legion ID: 4541

Post by beans »

Good to hear your hand is healing up! You're brave to keep working on it with stitches in. :shock:

After seeing how great this is coming out, I've been pacing back and forth about getting this kit myself. Sounds like a lot more work, but it looks like it fits our height challenge really well :)

Can't wait to see it painted! Congrats again on being on the tail end of a huge labor of love. Great job!

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by iam8114 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:How could I take off the unnecessary length? Would I have to cut all the way around the thigh? I only have the feeling I'd screw it up...thanks for the advice! I just might try it if cutting curves into backs of the thighs doesn't fully work. Interestingly enough the curves are canon.

And Beans, the stitches come off tomorrow, so I am escatic :D
yeah you'd want to take it off all the way around from the top following the existing curve pattern.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thanks Beans :D Now its more dangerous since the stitches are off now...what a scar to remind me of my devotion to this project. 8114, I'll see what I can do, might as well do it while the rest of assembly is wrapping up to a close. Sorry about my earlier post, if you read it like I just did...it sounded really sarcastic and wasn't meant that way at all!

I just finished sanding the side gaps completely straight with the belt sander. I will hopefiully get some more work done tonight. Thank you all for the support 8)

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by iam8114 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Thanks Beans :D Now its more dangerous since the stitches are off now...what a scar to remind me of my devotion to this project. 8114, I'll see what I can do, might as well do it while the rest of assembly is wrapping up to a close. Sorry about my earlier post, if you read it like I just did...it sounded really sarcastic and wasn't meant that way at all!

I just finished sanding the side gaps completely straight with the belt sander. I will hopefiully get some more work done tonight. Thank you all for the support 8)
no worries, i didn't pick up any sarcasm
James Norman
TK/TI-8114

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 321

Post by TK321 »

the dark knight wrote:looks sharp! :D the fun part is painting her up! atleast white is more forgiving than the TX (black). keep the pics comming!!!!
hahahahahaminecameinblackABSsoIdidn'tneedtopainthahahahaha

So, how tall are you Rebel? From what Beans has written it sounds like it is for a more medium height person.
(yeah, still thinking about upgrading to a better TK someday)

Anyway, your suit is looking good! Actually better than good...looking GRRRRRREAT!!!
Wow, and you're only 17. At that age I was still fingerpainting and looking forward to graduating up to crayons. I knew magic markers would be too much to ever hope for. And here you are creating costumes and having minor surgery at the same time!
Rob, Robb, Robert, Robby.
So many personalities, so little time.

River
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3166

Post by River »

Rebel Doughboy wrote: Image
I love how the dog is gettin' into the picture taking.. at least i think that's a dog behind you! LOL

Man i'm so happy for you bro. that's some serious work you're putting into this TK build. I know how ecstatic I was when I finished Rex. my WIP is on the boards, but regardless, you've done such a great job. keep it up man, the light is gettin' bright!

-River
TROOP! For a cause. What do YOU troop for?

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hey guys sorry I haven't responded in awhile! I was college visiting and spending some of spring break in Syracuse, NY. It was basically a military weekend and break and I just CAN'T wait to get there and earn my place. The college is Norwich University, Senior Military College. For those of you I haven't told at nausuem, I want to be in the Army, do ROTC and become career officer. Infact I am still taking ALL the information.

Robb, 5'8.5", and man you crack me up. I exist to make Lord Vader look really tall :D So hopefully Bean and I do some troops...cause there's too many of you tall troopers dwarfing us. Infact having gotten the infamous short phrase I have devised a comeback, "Aren't you a little young to die?" It works on mi amigos, once it registers. Its taken in good humor :P Some intutition told me it be a bad idea to continue working but it was overuled. Now that it is mostly healed and now its cosmetics I will gleefuly get back to work and finish this thing!

Markers, I go prisma! But they do tend to bleed onto where I'm working or my model paints, curse it! I miss the forgiveness of the washable markers ;)

Riv, that pic took four takes, and we gave up not having the dog in the pic, hahaha. I was reading it before my trip and man I try to appreciate the HUGE amount of work it took to get there! The compliments are much appreciated man :)

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:I have devised a comeback, "Aren't you a little young to die?" It works on mi amigos, once it registers. Its taken in good humor :P
I like "Aren't you a little tall for a princess?" because 99% of the time is a 'clever' guy who quips with the "Little short" line.
Threatening to kill someone who isn't a friend of yours could be hit or miss... and if it's a miss, then it's definitely not a good way to leave the civilian hanging. After all, folks who bring out the "short" line are just trying to play with us. The fact that they aren't nearly as clever as they think doesn't really matter.

Of course, at 6', I don't get the "short" comments very often, so it's ultimately up to you... :shrug:

Oh, and the progress pics look really good! Are you gonna have it done by the time the Big One-Eight comes up? When is that, anyway?
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

No worries Fleetfang, using that line while with the Legion would be a terrible mistake of mine I wouldn't dare make :wink: I know they are playing...they wouldn't be fans if they didn't know the line :)

Big One-Eight? Its almost as if your speaking in another language...concerning progress I need to get a THIRD butt piece because the second I ordered was super thin, even moreso than the first pull. I am a little peeved because the snap still leaves a indent!!! So the one you see in the pics in the original placeholder. Thermal det needs to get built, trim the thighs shorter per Iam's advice. I need to fix the strapping to hold the back plate down. I need to put on the holster and snaps to snap onto the torso piece. Then with this nice tax refund a TK409 neckseal is gonna get ordered real soon!