WEARING GLASSES!

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 3446

WEARING GLASSES!

Post by TK3446 »

I wear glasses all day. I know it's impossible to wear glass under your bucket unless your head is tiny. :D I thought of getting contacts but i'm not too thrilled with that idea. I have a hard time putting anything in my eyes. :( I just got new glasses so i thinking of taking my old lenses and attaching them somehow in my bucket. Has anyone out there fixed lenses to your bucket or have ideas to do this? I'm ok with being a little blind too if attaching lenses inside can't be done. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue. :)
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446

IN6951
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by IN6951 »

I do know at least 1 member that does wear his glasses under his bucket while trooping . So it IS possible . The Fx Bucket is roomy enough to accomodate that for most folks i believe . Other than that , the only option would be contacts . I also wear glasses 100% of the time . But i do NOT wear them when wearing non masked [ Non-full helmeted ] costumes . Like my Trooper or Batman Costumes . Personal preference on those. :wink:

tk1819
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1819

Post by tk1819 »

i am in the same boat as you, i do wear glasses and dont want to stick anything in my eyes.
but, i do wear my glasses even under my AP bucket, i do have a smaller melon but you might be able to adjust padding to accomodate for your head to be a bit farther back.
"First to Fall..Last to Leave"

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK3446 »

My problem is i have a big fat head. LOL. In my bucket i have a helmet liner and it's permanent. I'm going to try a couple things over the weekend. If something works i'll post it. :)
TK3446

Fitz6442
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6442

Post by Fitz6442 »

I think I have seen people glue their eyeglass lenses directly to their helmet lenses.

If that doesn't work, you could always get a pair of these and have lenses put in them. Then you can either glue them into your helmet or wear them with an elastic strap.
http://www.saferamerica.com/productDeta ... ductID=315

Jodo
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Jodo »

Speakin' of which.....Guess what? I went to the eye doctor last week. Turned out it was 5 years to the very day I had been there last. Needed frakkin' glasses! I got me free pair yesterday, and should have my "good/nice" pair here in a few days. They're great for seeing. :lol: I'll have to take some pics. :P
Jodo ~ Decipher Jodo Kast - Battlestar Marine - BSG Razor Marine - TDK Joker(s) - My Next Awsome Project ~

IN6951
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by IN6951 »

Wouldn't the problem with putting the lenses way out on the bucket lenses cause a problem tho . The Glasses have to sit pretty close to yer eyeballs to work properly . It's a pretty precise alignment measurement isn't it ?
If that was to be done, maybe the optomotrist would need to know first what you are doing maybe ? :wink:

terrell78
501st Member
501st Member

Post by terrell78 »

They also make corrected lenses for dive masks. They are a little pricey but should work great for a helmet. Plus they are big enough to cover the whole lens in the helmet.
FISD XO

Fitz6442
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6442

Post by Fitz6442 »

IN6951 wrote:Wouldn't the problem with putting the lenses way out on the bucket lenses cause a problem tho . The Glasses have to sit pretty close to yer eyeballs to work properly . It's a pretty precise alignment measurement isn't it ?
If that was to be done, maybe the optomotrist would need to know first what you are doing maybe ? :wink:
I have special glasses mounted inside my full-face respirator at work. They're not right up against my face like my regular glasses, but I can still see clearly through them. I did a little test just now, and I can pull my glasses about two inches away from my face and still see clearly.

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK3446 »

Fitz6442 wrote:
IN6951 wrote:Wouldn't the problem with putting the lenses way out on the bucket lenses cause a problem tho . The Glasses have to sit pretty close to yer eyeballs to work properly . It's a pretty precise alignment measurement isn't it ?
I have special glasses mounted inside my full-face respirator at work. They're not right up against my face like my regular glasses, but I can still see clearly through them. I did a little test just now, and I can pull my glasses about two inches away from my face and still see clearly.
I think this is what i'm going to attempt to do. Somehow mount my old lenses inside even if they aren't close it might be better than seeing thing blurry. It can't hurt to try, right?
TK3446

TC-2720
501st Member
501st Member

Post by TC-2720 »

I've resorted to an extremely low-tech option inside my MR clone helmet: spare glasses and duct tape. :)

I will be going to contacts at some point, so I wanted a solution that wouldn't permanently bond my lenses to my bucket. I tried wearing my old glasses minus the side arms that would normally go over my ears, and I found that I could precariously balance them on my nose and they sometimes stayed upright... but when I took my bucket off, they scraped my nose and forehead, and I didn't want to deal with that. So, in came the duct tape. It's not fancy, but it works. :)

The hardest thing is lining them up properly; it's a trial-and-error process to make sure that I don't get double vision by having one lens over too far to the right or left. So I'd suggest duct-tape until you've got it lined up as best you can, then glue them with... something, if you so desire. :)

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK3446 »

Thanks for the tip. What you have done with your lenses is what i sort of had in mind. Lining them up just right is what i worry about. I'm going to give it a try. :)
TK3446

Tango
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

sports eyewear

Post by Tango »

You could also research "sport" glasses. Close fitting, with elastic stretch band. http://www.adseyewear.com/results_m/RecSpecs/10.php
Rush not into fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail.

Jodo
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Jodo »

As promised, here's a pic. of me in my glasses. :P :lol:

Jodo ~ Decipher Jodo Kast - Battlestar Marine - BSG Razor Marine - TDK Joker(s) - My Next Awsome Project ~

Ralimn
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 4724

Post by Ralimn »

The glasses fit the hairdo haha
Andrew Carver
CC Bacara/IC-4724
Black Ice Squad Leader

Jodo
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Jodo »

They didn't have Joker ones. :lol:

TK 4813
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 4813

Post by TK 4813 »

thats some scary stuff right there :lol: :thumbsup:
TS/TK/TB/TX-4813 - Geoff Pfeiffer
Commanding Officer
Wisconsin Garrison

CloudStrife7
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7024

Post by CloudStrife7 »

I used to wear my glasses inside my Rubies and MLC V3 TB helmets. Then I got contacts.
Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024
Madison - Wisconsin Garrison