Full TK- AFX, RT-Mod, AP and TE2, OH MY! Where to get/start?

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Xyphis
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Full TK- AFX, RT-Mod, AP and TE2, OH MY! Where to get/start?

Post by Xyphis »

In my welcoming post here and at another fan site I received the above-mentioned Stormtrooper armor types as possibilities for my 6'1" 215# body type.

Dumb question: Where do I actually get this armor and the accessories needed?

Although I have searched the forums looking for a "recommended list of sellers" or a "list of parts needed for full suit and where to get them" I have not found much. I did find a post about buying the little black plastic mikey-breathing do-dads on the helmet, but starting with just those is quite depressing :(

My first thought was to get the $1599.99 ebay setup that all of you said was too expensive, but finding an all-together or nearly so kit that needs to be put together (saving $800 or so I am told) has eluded me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :D

dad vader
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1781

Post by dad vader »

Posting this question should get you a couple of Private Messages,(PM's)
We do not discuss where to get armor in public forums and you cant get into the private forums until you are a 501st member...Kinda catch 22 but rest assured that in the next couple of days you will get some PM's.

Please be aware,that $1599.99 is way to much to spend...

Xyphis
Imperial Recruit

Post by Xyphis »

dad vader wrote:We do not discuss where to get armor in public forums and you cant get into the private forums until you are a 501st member...Kinda catch 22 ..
So I'm not paranoid. I thought I was missing in on the secret handshake or something.

Thank you so much. I will wait......patiently...........sort of.......

General Anesthesia
Imperial Recruit

Post by General Anesthesia »

Another thing to be aware of is bucket size. I'm pretty much the exact same size as you and helmets will run small. I have a full set of TM sandy armor and I can't barely get my head into the thing. So I bought a TE helmet, a little better but still a little tight. I hate to say it but FX is about the only thing I could find that was big enough to comfortably fit with the ability to put in a fan to keep it tolerable.

Just my .02 if it helps.

Or maybe I just have an exceptionally large pumpkinhead??? :P

cplBear
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by cplBear »

Just be patient young recruit . I assure you someone WILL get a PM to you here with info "soon " .

Myself.................I have little clue on TK armor as my advanced Frame kinda ruled that costume out for me personally . Thus i went Imperial Navy ! :lol:
Mud hole! My home this is - Yoda

IN6951 Imperial Navy Trooper .

TK895
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 895

Post by TK895 »

email sent :)

Xyphis
Imperial Recruit

Post by Xyphis »

Thank you for the email :)

OK, I "think" I have it down to one of two armors. The FX vs. the RT-Mod. After reading a bit about both it seems that they both should fit my size, with the RT-Mod being actually a bit larger in many areas. I am waiting to hear from RT-Mod about some details about how big the helmet is (there was a reference that he was planning on making it a little bigger as his suit is a little bigger). The RT is more expensive but I'd hate finding out I want to trade "up" after a few months as many have complained.

If anyone owns either that is my size (6'1", 215#) or can offer any other advice, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help guys/gals

terrell78
501st Member
501st Member

Post by terrell78 »

FISD XO

TheKid
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Post by TheKid »

Im in the same boat as you are dude...i finaly decided to do the Imp Officer Uniform just to start out with...cause honestly im not gonna drop what 2k for a costume/'armour' that can be made in your home...but then again thats my perspective...BTW those 'do-dads' are a 'Filter' Stystem with open COMMs for the stormies out in Harsh enviroments and what no.
Tho in real life they dont do athing.
"Remove your helmet"
"This is never going to work"
"Roger Roger"
"Uh-oh"
"Roger Roger"
*Blaster Fire*
Commander Cody, Capt. Rex, Commando Droid(Epi. 3 Animated Series)

mcheng
Imperial Recruit

Post by mcheng »

I am in the same situation as the OP, looking for armor kits to get started. I am 6 foot tall 175lb, which kit is best suited for me? Which armor kit is the best bang for the buck in you guy's opinion? Do most people just get the FX kit and opt for some other type Lid? I would want to be in the near future to join the 501st.

oblagon
-BANNED-

Post by oblagon »

mcheng wrote:I am in the same situation as the OP, looking for armor kits to get started. I am 6 foot tall 175lb, which kit is best suited for me? Which armor kit is the best bang for the buck in you guy's opinion? Do most people just get the FX kit and opt for some other type Lid? I would want to be in the near future to join the 501st.
PM sent
"THE GOOD 3PO"

Xyphis
Imperial Recruit

Post by Xyphis »

The RT-Mod armor was built for a person 6'0" and 220#. The FX should also fit you as well. In fact, with your weight, it seems (by what searching I have done) that most would fit you. The problem, as I understand it, is in the circumpherence of your arms/forearms/thighs/legs rather than height or absolute weight.

Good luck in whatever you choose

PQ Higgins
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier
501st Legion ID: 3697

Post by PQ Higgins »

I have the FX armor, and I am 6'2 and 220. I had to make shims for the calves and biceps area because unfortunately, this is one facet of my life where weightlifting does NOT help lol. The rest of the armor fits fine the way it is and there was no trimming I had to do at all.

Granted I have no experience with any of the other types of armor, but in doing my research before I bought it, this seemed to be the best option for me, besides clone armor, which is next on my list.
-Midwest Garrison Imperial Mirror

mcheng
Imperial Recruit

Post by mcheng »

I pretty much found the places to get the AP kit, FX (lite) kit, but where do I find RT-mod kit? Do any of the kits come pre-trimmed and polished? Which kit is the best bang for the buck, I mean, I want to spend money but not over spend.

Thanks for all the help.

oblagon
-BANNED-

Post by oblagon »

mcheng wrote:I pretty much found the places to get the AP kit, FX (lite) kit, but where do I find RT-mod kit? Do any of the kits come pre-trimmed and polished? Which kit is the best bang for the buck, I mean, I want to spend money but not over spend.

Thanks for all the help.
FX kits come pre-trimmed, all the other kits you'll have to trim yourself which really isn't that difficult (it's just time consuming).

Best bang for your buck? I would go with the AP. It's an accurate kit that fits great and you don't have to paint it like the TE2 kit. Also you don't have to mod the armor and helmet to get accepted to the 501st, unlike the FX which needs additional work.

From what I've read, you'd be too small for the RT-mod. I understand that it's sculpted for a larger set person.
"THE GOOD 3PO"

terrell78
501st Member
501st Member

Post by terrell78 »

RT also comes pre-trimmed. Although trimming is pretty easy so don't let that deter you from getting an AP kit.

For all your stormtrooper needs check out:
www.whitearmor.net
FISD XO

mcheng
Imperial Recruit

Post by mcheng »

I think I am going with the AP kit, it seems it would fit me the best. Thanks for all of your replies and PMs.

dad vader
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1781

Post by dad vader »

unlike the FX which needs additional work.
Ok You'll have to tell me who got declined with an FX kit.....
Better than 80% of the legion use FX armor.
most un modded other than normal assembly.

oblagon
-BANNED-

Post by oblagon »

dad vader wrote:
If you go to whiteforum.net and do a search you'll see the upgrades I'm talking about. Also most people are ditching their "bobblehead" helmets for the MR CE.

Don't know if people are getting declined with an FX, that's not what I meant to say in my post.
What I was saying is that if you want film accurate armor go with AP or TE2. If you want to buy less expensive armor go with FX but you'll have to work on it to get it to film accurate standards.
"THE GOOD 3PO"

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

oblagon wrote:
dad vader wrote:
If you go to whiteforum.net and do a search you'll see the upgrades I'm talking about. Also most people are ditching their "bobblehead" helmets for the MR CE.

Don't know if people are getting declined with an FX, that's not what I meant to say in my post.
What I was saying is that if you want film accurate armor go with AP or TE2. If you want to buy less expensive armor go with FX but you'll have to work on it to get it to film accurate standards.
Remember, film accurate and 501st acceptable are two different standards.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2