501st Legion ID: 82371

04/28/18 - SAT Austin's visit RMH Near Lurie's - Chicago

Post by Boushh823 »

Event: Austin's visit at RMH

Date: 4/28/18

Venue: Ronald McDonald House

Address: 211 E. Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60611

Donation / Money Raised: No donation was made or monies raised

Total hours trooped: 16 troopers for 2 hours each for a total of 32 hours trooped

Troopers Involved:
MWG:
Shannon Buetsch-82371-Boushh
Chris Buetsch-21273-ROTJ Boba Fett
Kelly Baldridge-21200-Mara Jade
Dan Venske-45456-Admrial Krennic
Todd Roesner-60151-Imperial Officer
Elizabeth Kachlic-15251-Stormtrooper
Adriane Bean-4541-Stormtrooper
Jack Simonds-26991-Stormtrooper
Mike Dickinson-66598-Imperial Knight
Heather Dickinson-66599-TIE Pilot
TJ Wonogas-33431-TIE Pilot
Ana Golez-12371-Jawa
Michelle Venske-Juno Eclipse

RL:
Thomas Turner-Chewbacca
Blair Douglas--Rey
Scott Eckelberry-Lobot

Comments: In March a story & video went viral about a doctor that dressed up as Chewbacca to give a 15-year-old boy named Austin the news that he was going to get a new heart. Moments after seeing this I started making phone calls to find out if we could make a visit to him, because he was in nearby Chicago. Finally making contact with the family, I began making plans for a group to pay Austin a visit. A must for this visit was having a Chewbacca. Reaching out to fellow members of the 501st & Rebel legion asking for cards & anything else that could be contributed. A care package was put together for Austin consisting of a binder of trading cards & a back pack full of gifts that were sent for Austin. Chris' mom made Austin a personalized Star Wars quilt.

Our visit also wasn’t just for Austin, but all the other patients at Ronald McDonald House. I had put together bags with stickers, an activity book, toys, & cards to hand out to all the other child patients at RMH.

We arrived at 5:00 p.m. to be ready by 6:30 p.m. to invade the RMH dinner time as a surprise to all the patients. We mingled taking photos & handing out the goody bags to the kids. At around 7:30 p.m. we adjourned to a private room to spend some time with Austin & present him with all that had been sent for him. Austin & his dad were completely taken aback at the generosity of our groups by doing what we did for them. After presenting Austin with his gifts we spent some time talking with him & answering questions he had. Truly a memorial event & touched that I could be a part of it.

Photos from the event:

Shannon Buetsch
BH-82371
Boushh823

Runnin'6712
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 6712

Re: 04/28/18 - SAT Austin's visit RMH Near Lurie's - Chicago

Post by Runnin'6712 »

ToD updated. Awesome job! :thumbs: