Moderator: Garrison Officers

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9989

WI-Racine-Holiday Parade-November 12, 2005

Post by TKvanB »

Holiday Parade & store event benefitting Make-A-Wish http://www.sandtroopers.com/events/racine_holiday/

Racine, WI
November 12, 2005
Story and Photos by Chris Spice (Darth Spice)

ROOKIE ASSIGNMENT FOR TD1043 -- GET TO STEPPIN'

After being dispatched to the city of Racine, Wisconsin, dustrho and I were given the mission of marching with our fellow Midwest Garrison members through the streets of Racine. After maneuvering thru the very botched Illinois Highway Transportation System, dustrho arrived at the War-Room so we could make last minute plans for the journey. After completing yet another Sandtroopers.com cost plus shipping trade we set course for the North. We were both a little curious if the now windy and stormy weather was going to be a factor, as well as hoping it wasn’t a two-man patrol! We parked dustrho’s S.C.A.L.P. four-wheel drive reconnaissance vehicle conveniently right around the corner from Serendipity Gifts, the store where we were supposed to meet the rest of the group.

Our first obstacle consisted of fellow Sith Lord SL585, the good man who would be our Lord Vader, had locked his keys inside of what appeared to be an impenetrable Hyundai! What were we to do without our Dark Lord to lead us through the streets? Trent was working diligently to free his armor from the backseat of his mid-sized sedan, and like a call from the great Emperor himself TK895 (Michael Washko) pulled up in the alley and immediately assured us all “I can get it!” After what seemed like hours to us, he was able to spring open one of the rear doors with the assistance of a coat hanger. Right about this time I looked at dustrho in his first mission and stated, “It’s time to get ready!”

We settled our armor tubs into a somewhat cramped quarters in the back of Serendipity Gifts to get ready to march. The pain in the rear about being a Sandtrooper is you can’t totally get ready all alone, after a little help from fellow members TK7306 was once again ready to roll but this wasn’t my first trip. As I turned around I was proud to see dustrho near suited up solo and ready to go! He and fellow operative Dr. Chaos did a wonderful job of assembling his kit, and while not as dirty, looked pretty amazing. We were in a holding pattern in the back alley for roughly a half hour, which was pretty good so we could meet some of the Garrison and Rebel Legion members that had made the trip. I still can’t get over seeing people in armor, without helmets smoking cigarettes! I don’t know, it just looks humorous for some reason. As last requests for the restroom and glasses of wine were filled by our host, we made was down the alley to head for the parade commencement area, a holding pen if you will.

It was good to see we had such a great turnout. We were near twenty strong walking down that alley, and we also had a huge Ford Excursion custom painted in Stormtrooper. With much regret our photos of this magnificent craft didn’t turn out well, I’m still waiting for a reply from the other members to see if I can get a better visual. It had gotten very cold, and the rain had subsided but there was a hint of a drizzle here and there. I had realized my first mistake of not wearing anything under my dive suit, and truth be told I was a tad uncomfortable. When I looked at the rest of the group, posing for photos, scaring off the girl scouts who were staged near us, there was no way I was going to let something as trivial as the cold stop me from completing my mission, this is what Troopers are: tough. This is what we do: Win.

PHOTO GALLERY
To see the photo gallery containing 21 photos click here.
http://www.sandtroopers.com/events/racine_holiday/pics/

Name of Event: Racine Holiday Parade & store event

Date: November 12, 2005

Place:
Downtown
Serendipity Gifts
334 Main St
Racine, WI 53403-1029

Coordinator/Point of Contact: Gregg Bywater

Midwest Garrison, Rebel Legion members and friends who participated:

Trent Thornton SL0585 - Darth Vader
Sara - SL3881 - Mara Jade
Joseph Flores -TI1296 - TIE Pilot
Alexandria Flores - Little Mara Jade
Chris Spice - TD7306 - sandtrooper
Chris Roads - TD1043 - sandtrooper
Dan Patterson - TK0787 - Stormtrooper
Mike Washko - SP0895 - Tusken
Beth Johnson - Rebel Legion - Princess Leia A New Hope
Bob - Darth Sohn - Dark Anakin
Kathy van Beuningen TK9989 - stormtrooper

Link to event Information:

WI-Racine, Holiday Parade event November 12 Make-A -Wish

----- Original Message -----
To: "Kathy van Beuningen"
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: Racine parade

Hi Kathy,

Thanks again for all your help with the parade. From what I heard the last couple of days, everyone was WOW'd by your group. ..............................................everyone talked about how you guys, us all, were the highlight of the parade and look forward to inviting your group in other Racine events.

Thanks again, it was a pleasure meeting you and talking with you, and I hope we can get together and do it again, soon! I haven't had that much fun in a long time.

Take care,

Theresa
Serendipity Gifts
Racine, WI
Hi-

Not sure of who I can Thank, but I'm going to hope you could help me out. My name is Barb Ehrhart Chair of the Downtown Racine Holiday Parade. I wanted to thank the 501st Legion group who came to Racine, WI this past Saturday 11-12-05. What a great group of people, they were my main attraction. Theresa Schiffer from Racine and owner of Serendipity Store was the one who orchestrated the whole thing so the group could be in the parade. I just think they all were great and again please contact them and tell them how much we appreciated them. It rained and they still stayed. Hope they would do this again sometime.

Fondly,

Barb Ehrhart