Moderator: Garrison Officers

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9989

The Midwest Garrison celebrates FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 5/6/06

Post by TKvanB »

Approximately 3 dozen members of the 501st Legion / Midwest Garrison ( & friends) particpated in Free Comic Book Day events in 7 different locations around the area this past Saturday, May 6th, 2006.
Free Comic Book Day is a single day when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world are giving away comic books absolutely free to anyone who comes into their stores. This event celebrates the independent comic book specialty stores, thousands of which exist in North America alone. Each one is unique in its community, with a style and personality all its own, and each one carries a full line of comics, graphic novels, and related products. This was the fifth Free Comic Book Day.

(Appleton, WI) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY(Chimera Hobby Shop)
(Buffalo Grove, IL) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY(HERO HEADQUARTERS)
(Champaign, IL) Free Comic Book Day-G-Mart
(Milwaukee, WI) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY(Lost World of Wonders)
(New Baltimore, MI) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, MacDonald Public Library
(Portage, IN) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, Lightspeed Hobbies
(Taylor, MI) Free Comic Book Day @ Wonderworld Comics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 6, 2006 (Appleton, WI) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY(Chimera Hobby Shop)

Chimera Hobby Shop
700 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Appleton, WI 54914

Attending:
Sara 3881 Mara Jade
Rebels:
Shawn Jedi
Bob and Beret: Han and Leia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IL-Buffalo Grove-FREE COMIC BOOK DAY-May 6th

HERO HEADQUARTERS
174 MCHENRY RD
BUFFALO GROVE, IL
(847) 947-4376

Members participating at this location:

- TB0101 Aimee Jorgensen (Tusken)
- TA2215 Orlando (AT-AT Driver)
- ID Destiny Froste - Gina (Endor Rebel Leia)
- TK6254 Dan Giese (Stormtrooper)
- TI1296 Joseph Flores (TIE Pilot)
- TB9442 Chris Schwarz (bikerscout)
- TK9989 Kathy van Beuningen (stormtrooper)

Pictures by Jerry TK0084:

Chris Schwarz TB9442

Dan Geise TK6245

Orlando Ledezma TA2215 of Buffalo Grove, IL & Kathy van Beuningen TK9989 of Chicago, IL

Members of the Midwest Garrison: Chris Schwarz TB9442 of Illinois, Dan Geise TK6245 of Arlington Heights, IL, Gina Froste of Illinois,
Orlando Ledezma TA2215 of Buffalo Grove, IL & Joseph Flores TI1296 of Berwyn, IL

Dan Geise TK6245 of Arlington Heights, IL,
Orlando Ledezma TA2215 of Buffalo Grove, IL & Kathy van Beuningen TK9989 of Chicago, IL

IL-Champaign - Free Comic Book Day - May 6th - G-Mart

G-Mart
44 East Main Street
Champaign, IL 61820

ATTENDING:
Chip Childress - TK9965
Kevin Kemarly - TK3290
Kent Heath - TK1692
Jeremy Wilcox - TK7503
Ryan Summers - TK2429
Dave Hodo - TD5052

May 6, 2006 (Milwaukee, WI) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY(Lost World of Wonders) SATURDAY

Lost World of Wonders
6913 W. Oklahoma Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53219

Anthony Day-SL7956 Pre-burn Vader
Jen Loomis- SL5365 Mara Jade
Ryan Day-TB7926 Biker Scout
Trent Thornton-SL0585 Vader
Beth Johnson-TB5852 Biker Scout
Mario Soto - TC5670 Commander Bly
Gregg Bywater - TC1900 501st Clone
Mike Washko - DZ896 Tusken
Jason Piekarz - TD257 the guy w/ camera
BankyScout wrote:Today was a lot of fun. The reaction on all the people's faces was great, especially to "Washko, The Tusken Statue." The owners were kind enough to donate $160 to a charity of their choosing (a charity that helps out small comic shops with censoring and violence problems) We got pizza also :D
bassclarinets wrote:I have my pics from the day here -
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bassclari ... EBehLLMMU3
Today was a BLAST! :)
Jen
Outlander66 wrote:Some photos from yesterday.
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Outlander257/
psykojedi7956 wrote:The turn out at LWOW was phenominal! As a former patron of theirs, I have never seen so many people in the shop in all of my visits COMBINED! There had to be at least 300 people stopping in to see what was up in the first hour. Many of those who did show up stopped by because they wanted to know why there were Star Wars guys waving at traffic (or directing traffic as it may be). Fortunately for the owners that the shop is the size of three normal-sized comic shops or they would not have been able to accommodate the shear number.
I am definately going to do this again next year if the owners want us back. I am glad as so many WI MWG members at an event. Hope to troop with many of you again soon.

May 6, 2006 (New Baltimore, MI) FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, MacDonald Public Library

Jaster Chris Brown (TK)
Steve Brejnak (TD465)
Pintal (Ep 3 Clone - 501st blue)
Phil Font (Vader)

The McDonald Public Library in conjunction with Mike's comics in New Baltimore are hosting FCBD and would like to have costumers appear at the library.
JasterMereel wrote:From the Young Adult Librarian:
Chris,
It will be a wonderful surprise for the children of New Baltimore, I will promote Darth and the Stormtroopers early in the week to get as much exposure for them as possible. Thank you to you and your friends for volunteering your time for this event. I look forward to hearing from you later this week.

Mary Jo Beranek
Reference & Young Adult Librarian
MacDonald Public Library

IN-Portage-FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, Lightspeed Hobbies-May 6th

Lightspeed Hobbies and the address is as follows
5884 US Hwy 6
Portage IN 46368

The people there were:

Ed: Musictrooper,Trooper
BH1180- Kevin: Lionspride,Boba
ID9151 Phyllis: Schph Gochi,Jedi Scum
SL1741 Rich: dadvader,Vader
Conor: Luke Skywalker
dad vader wrote:Thanks to everyone who came out to Portage...
The owner was very glad we could make it out.
He said we got very good reviews...
Thanks again for those who could make it out.You made the event a success!!!!!!!
Phyllis,even though you were the only one could you please copy this to all the rebel scum boards that you posted the invite!!!
Schph Gochi wrote:Some photos from yesterday..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/schphgoch ... ir=82a7scd

And....Kathy...

The Stormtrooper in the photo is a gentleman named Ed...he obviously has a complete a complete set of armor...but has not joined the 501st. Ed is from the north side of Chicago...

I believe he posts in the public forums from time to time as "Musictrooper". Rich will probably ask you the same, but can we get him "upgraded" to be able to see these forums? I know Ed from Chicago Force as well...he attends some of our events as his schedule permits. I would like to see him join the 501st.
LionsPride wrote:Big thanks to Phyllis and Ed for making it down. Had a blast. Man Ed was a character was'nt he? Great guy, was deffinatly nice meeting him.
The owners were blown away with our costumes and the way we handled it all, he stated that was one of the busiest days they've had in awhile and was sure apprieciative of our apperance. I don't think that little shop could handle anymore flow then was going in and out of there.. LOL
Was great to get a chance to have dinner with Ed and have a chance to talk with him after the event. I'll be looking forward to seeing him at future events in IN. and IL.
here's a few pic's that a guy I know took and emailed to me, i'll see if he's got anymore of the whole group.

May 6, 2006 (Taylor, MI) Free Comic Book Day @ Wonderworld Comics

Wonderworld Comics
22391 Ecorse Road
Taylor, MI 48180

Members participating:

Rob SL2280
Barry Hodge - TK1421 stormtrooper
Godfrey - TK5454
TK1421 wrote:What a great event!!!
There is a lot of potential at Wonderworld Comics for future events.
I've been to this store before and it is really close by.
There were many smiling, happy, fun-having faces of all ages. Lots to do, see, and collect.
Rob (Vader) - this was a great first event for you! Vader was awesome, everyone loved seeing such a well-known character.
We even got to hang out with Superman!!!!
Comics, Games, and Star Wars...Oh My - Indeed!!!!
SL2280 wrote:Thanks :oops: It was nice metting you. you have a great TK costume. For a first event thsi was great. I kinda got the feeling of what it was like to be in costume(the heat) The store owner and other workers were very helpfull and were nothing but kind. It was a great place. here are a few pics.

Last edited by TKvanB on Sun May 07, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Very cool, Kath :)

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

Here's a couple nice ones from the Milwaukee, WI Lost World of Wonders event by Jason Piekarz - TD257

Mario Soto - TC5670 Commander Bly

Gregg Bywater - TC1900 501st Clone & Mario Soto - TC5670 Commander Bly

Trent Thornton-SL0585 Darth Vader & Anthony Day-SL7956 Pre-burn Vader

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

Here is a nice story on the Champaign, IL event by Chris Spice: http://www.sandtroopers.com/events/free_comicday_2006/
Doug Wangler, the model for Darkhorse Character Quinlan Vos was also on hand to assist with the festivities.
See more pictures here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/events/free ... 2006/pics/

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

Starwars.com really dug the Free Comic Book Day events! Check it out here on Hyperspace:

Free Comic Book Day with the 501st
June 06, 2006 Issue

Sorry I didn't get your real names Jerry TK0084, Schph Gochi, and Rob SL2280.....................but it's kinda cool to have your ID's in starwars.com :wink: