4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 3853

IL-Melrose Park-Kiddieland-Oct 13 & 14, 2007

Post by Targ »

Mission Report
Kiddieland – Saturday Oct 13th

Participants:

Tom Schaefer TK TD TR TI DZ IC 118 - C3PO / Stormtrooper Event Coordinator
Austin Schaefer – Imperial Crew (padawan)
Jason Patterson TI SL 1719- Darth Vader / TIE Pilot
Alyssa Patterson – Tie Pilot (padawan)
Kevin Lehning TK-669. - Chewbacca
Amanda Lehning - Support
Aimee Jorgenson TB-0101 and kids – Support
Joe Flores TI 1296 – TIE Pilot -
Alex Flores – Imperial Crew
John E Fitzsimmons DZ TK 6442 – Tusken Raider / Stormtrooper
Terrell Reber TK1787- Stormtrooper
Gino Dipka - Costume Support
Jim DeJan TI ID IC–3853 Imperial Crew / TIE Pilot - tattooist
Emily DeJan - Costume Support / tattooist
Andy Marsh TI 2079- TIE Pilot

Kevin and Amanda arrived so early at Kiddieland, in Melrose Park, Illinois to find that not only were they the first to arrive but also that the gates to parking lot were still closed. Quickly contacting Tom on his cell that all was well and that he was just a few blocks away. By the time he arrived the gates opened and they were allowed to park.

Having organized the Kiddieland event twice before, Tom Schaefer was familiar with the routine He, his son Austin, Kevin and Amanda entered the employee entrance to the room where we would all be changing. Kevin and Tom then got their Chewbacca and C3PO costumes prepared and laid out. Amanda sadly was not feeling well and was a bit low key, but smiled and maid the best of it. Tom then went out to the parking lot to see if anyone else had arrived yet and to grab some video of the Kiddieland scrolling marquee where the 501st legion and Midwest Garrison were proudly announced.

Aimee with her daughters had arrived slightly before he made it to parking lot, As did Jason Patterson and Alyssa, Jim and Emily DeJan and Joe Flores with his daughter Alex and John Fitzsimmons. Andy Marsh arrived after followed by Terrell Reber and his friend Gino Dipka from Michigan.

We all started suiting up. Sadly, Aimee realized after getting there that her chest and back armor were not in her armor tub, and could not suit up. but being the member she is, she stayed and helped not only Tom get bolted into the golden iron maiden that is 3PO, but helped others as well.

Jim and Emily set up the table Kiddieland had provided for us. The DeJans brought the 501st banner, as well as the big Midwest Garrison logo sign, as well as PLENTY of temporary tattoos and supplies to apply them for the kids. Jason also brought along a laptop to play our propaganda as well as Maestro Williams’ orchestral scores to set the tone of the day as well as the DVD of the Weird Al show done on September 25th with members of the Midwest Garrison, and the Midwest Garrison DVD that Tom brought. Several boxes of book marks provided by the Museum of Science and Industry to promote the Star Wars “Where Science Meets Imagination” exhibit and were laid out for the public to take.
While the DeJans were making many kids smile with the tattoos, allowing some more adventurous younglings try on Jim’s TIE helmet and informing adults about who we were and what we do, the rest of us suited up and started interacting with guests of the park. Shaking hands, taking photos and wowing the crowds, Kevin in his Chewbacca and Tom in his C3PO, Jason, Alyssa, Joe and Andy in TIE gear, Alex, Austin, John in Tusken (which he later changed to Trooper after kids seemed a bit too scarred of Tusken) Terrell in Trooper, Emily, Aimee and Amanda as support and Gino all seemed to make the day of those attending park the first 3 hours.
Amanda wasn’t feeling well and Kevin’s feet were hurting and Tom was understandably uncomfortable in the droid, So Aimee and Emily gathered everyone together for a group shot before Kevin and Amanda headed home for the day. Tom was paroled from C3PO and relaxed a bit before suiting into his Trooper armor. YES, TK118 would actually suit up in TK armor for the first time in MANY, MANY months. The owner of Kiddieland provided coupons for our food . A huge thank you to Kiddieland for that, so we got to have free lunch and drinks. After eating. Jason got into Sith mode and suited up as Vader. WOW, Did the kids LOVE that! Vader was joined by 3 Stormtroopers and a TIE pilot as they walked around the park, rode the train,(which by the way they not only had the normal Diesel one running, but also the STEAM POWERED one. Yes, they have a steam powered train that actually burns coal like the real ones! That was a must see, as they don’t run that one very often.) and took the customary walk out to the main intersection and slowed traffic by the amusement park.

As the sun stated to set and the crowds slowly started to die down, we all suited down at about 6:30pm and headed down the street to Ruby Tuesdays to have dinner. Sadly Aimee, Jim and Emily and Jason couldn’t join us. Midwest Garrison CO Kathy van Beuningen, drove out from the city, after working all day, and picked up Quincy from a school event just to have dinner with us. Tom was happy Kathy came out, as is shows not only an interest in the Kiddieland event, but support for it and for ALL those attending it, especially for our guest Terrell Reber and his friend Gino Dipka who made time during his visit to Chicago from Michigan to do this event, and Jim and Emily who drove over 2hrs each way to make it.

After a lot of chatting, joke telling and having food, drinks and fun, it was time to call it a night. We all shook hands, hugged and said good bye and headed home. It was a great day and another very successful Kiddieland appearance. They once again were VERY pleased with us and we hope to return again next season.

Since this is a two day Event, and Tom could not attend on Sunday due to work ( He had to kiss major Butt just to get the day off on Sat to attend) Jason is taking the reigns as Coordinator for the Sunday portion of the event at Tom’s request.

A HUGE, HUGE thank you to EVERYONE who came out! You ALL made it the fun and memorable event is was.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/M ... 66ded5.pbw
Last edited by Targ on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
Now serves as Mentor,
and Shadow Commander.

cplBear
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by cplBear »

Looked like a very fun troop . And the kids seemed to LOVE those Tats. :D
Good Job ! :D
Mud hole! My home this is - Yoda

IN6951 Imperial Navy Trooper .

SHortTrooper
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by SHortTrooper »

Looks like every one had a good time at KiddieLand!

Short Trooper
Well, I'm going THIS way, not THAT way!

Acrylikhan
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Acrylikhan »

Kiddieland is only a few miles from my house... wish I'd known about this!

Looks like everyone had fun! :lol:
Retired from Star Wars Costuming - then again retirement is overrated

InvaderSith
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1719

Post by InvaderSith »

Acrylikhan wrote:Kiddieland is only a few miles from my house... wish I'd known about this!

Looks like everyone had fun! :lol:
It's been posted in two sections! I wish you'd seen it as well, we could have used more troops on Sunday!

I'll write up Sunday's report later on.
The Dark Lord of the Snark
SL/TI-1719

InvaderSith
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1719

Post by InvaderSith »

Here are the few pics I got on Sunday:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=kiddiel ... 1568%40N00
The Dark Lord of the Snark
SL/TI-1719

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

TKvanB wrote:I wasn't able to attend the event at the amusement park yeaterday (I had to work) but I drove over afterwards to meet some of the Members for dinner afterwards.

As I was driving back home, we passed the big colorful Kiddieland marquee that was scrolling a message to "Star Wars Fans -- Come and meet Members of the 501st Legion Midwest Garrison Saturday & Sunday Oct 13 & 14"

Today was one of the few and far between days off from work that I have had in the past 2 months. I thought about staying home and maybe resting or working on something here, but then I decided that I had to go participate in the events at the park today, since only 2 other Members had stated their availability for today.........

Posted: 14 Oct 2007 19:54
TKvanB wrote:I had a BLAST!!!!!!!

I just got home.

It was cold and raining this morning and as I got out of the car, it was raining harder. I thought that no one would come to Kiddieland today. That maybe we could wrap up after an hour or so. Then a couple kids came there in their Star Wars costumes. And then a couple more. and then about an hour after the park opened about 12 school buses full of children pulled up.

Then the rain stopped.

We had a super time!

The kids were so cute! especially the ones in their Star Wars costumes. They were so excited to see us.

I am so glad that I was able to participate in this event today! :D

I rode the train in armor ....... and a couple other rides too.

I rode the rollercoaster in armor. (THanks for the quick-fix Jason)

(*note to self* don't ride the rides that jostle around too much - in armor)

A little while later the sun came out for a while.

Then Darth Vader made his appearance!

About 4pm we suited down and then we ran around and went on all of the rides. I didn't go on any of the rides that go up & down, but I went on the bumper cars about 20 times....and the rollercoaster and the log ride and the scrambler and even on the tilt-a-wirl!

sometimes you forget a little how much fun that is.
501st Legion Members participating today were:

SL/TI1719 Jason Patterson - TIE Pilot AND Darth Vader
TB0101 Aimee Jorgensen - bikerscout
TK9989 Kathy van Beuningen - stormtrooper
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.