Moderator: Garrison Officers

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 118

IL-Glen Ellyn-Weird Al Concert-College of DuPage-Sept 25th

Post by TK118 »

On Sept 25th 07 members of the MWG were able to not only attend a live show with Weird Al, But BE PART OF IT.

Tara Patterson was our video / camera person, Mary Walton was our handler, Jason Patterson as Vader, Darrel Soren with R2-S5, Tom Schaefer as C-3PO, and John Fitsimmons, Jerry Budde, Rick Wilson, Chris Mazzoni and last min fill in Jeff Baronas Stormtroopers.

I arrived at 4:45 to find Darrel already there waiting. we unloaded R2 and headed to the back entrance. We were met by Hammer who showed us to our dressing room and took on onstage to place R2. It was cool seeing the stage from the back and seeing all Al's costumes on the side as we set up.

Rest arrived by 6:30 or so, did a very quick run through with Hammer before going to the catering room and enjoying some good food. We sat chatted for a while while Al started the show, then got dressed. and awaited Hammer to take us to stage.
We stood on the side of the stage behind the curtains for a min or two while al finished a rage song the stage went black and we walked on as they played the theme from Phantom of the Opera.
Lights came on and crowd went crazy.
Al started singing "The Saga Begins" and we all followed the instructions we were given, Slowly bobbing our heads then really getting into it.
Al Walked up to me in 3PO and sang a it, then approached Jason as Vader. It was really fun. I think Al enjoyed it as much as we did. The stage went dark and they played the Imperial march as we walked of stage.

After the show we stood around for a while while we waited to meet up with AL. One of the crew came into the room to tell us how well we did, (out of respect for other 501st members who have done show I wont repeat what was said about his comments on previous shows. rude)

We got to meet Al and everyone got an autograph and a chance to speak with him. We did a group show and presented al with his Honorary MWG membership. His response was "WOW!, Really? This is so cool Thank you guys!"

When I talked with him, he mentioned I was the first 3po he had used on stage and really liked it, But said he almost cracked up when he was singing by me and looked at him. He said something to the effect that the surprised look on 3POs face struck him as funny.

After meeting AL we were heading back to the dressing rooms and got stopped for photos by who we thought was AL's crew and roadies... Come to find out, One of the guys was Charlie Benante the drummer for heavy metal band Anthrax ! LOL He was there to see a member of AL's crew who does work for him. Charlie was RELLY impressed with all of our costumes and took pics for himself as well.

Us with Charlie Benante - Drummer for Anthrax

After that we suited down and headed home. It was a fun night and something none of us will forget.

Pics can be seen here...... More coming!

http://www.tk118.com/weird_al_sept_25.htm
Last edited by TK118 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

InvaderSith
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1719

Post by InvaderSith »

Last minute fill-in is my friend Jeff Baron, who wore my TI costume for the opening of White Wizard toys last year. He's waiting until his kids get older before acquiring his own costume.
The Dark Lord of the Snark
SL/TI-1719

InvaderSith
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by InvaderSith »

SL/TI-1719

Fitz6442
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6442

Post by Fitz6442 »

For you heavy metal fans:

What Tom failed to mention in his mission report is that as we were leaving the stage and heading back to our dressing room, someone called out, "Wait! Don't go anywhere yet. The drummer from Anthrax (Charlie Benante) wants to get a picture with you guys."

So we took some pictures with him and proceeded back to the dressing room. Our dressing room was really small, so we sort of took over the catering room. Next thing you know, there's Charlie again, hanging out and asking questions about the costumes. :D

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK118 »

I realy dont think that was him (Charlie Benante) Why would he be backstage at a Weird Al show?

LOL

But he did look like him

Fitz6442
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6442

Post by Fitz6442 »

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK118 »

WOW, that WAS HIM! Why didnt you say something at the time! LOL

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

Awesome!

:D
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

And for the record, they did not play "The Phantom of the Opera", but rather Johann Sebastian Bach's "Toccata & Fugue" in D minor. Uncultured swine. :wink:

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TK118 »

"don't get technical with me" LOL

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

TK118 wrote:"don't get technical with me" LOL
:gigglesnort

InvaderSith
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by InvaderSith »

I have mini-DVDs of the video in my bin. I will hand them out to participants as I see them.
SL/TI-1719