Moderator: Garrison Officers

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 1951

IL-Channahon-Autism Fundraiser-7-28-07

Post by Schph Gochi »

The Midwest Garrison was contacted via the main 501st website to participate in a fundraiser for "Autism Speaks" by the Vehe family.
The Vehe's have a child who suffers from Autism and are very active in raising funds for the "Autism Speaks" organization.

Last year, they hosted a backyard drive-in movie and raised over $5,000.00 for Autism Speaks. This year the movie they chose was "Star Wars-A New Hope". Our costumed 501st members were asked to come and add a little something extra to the evenings festivities. That, and the fact that their son with Autism is simply wild about Stormtroopers.

The call went out, and we were blessed to provide this event with the following members:

DadVader- SL1781 Darth Vader
Javier - TK265 Stormtrooper
Fitz - TK6442 Stormtrooper
Joseph - TI1296 Tie Pilot
Whinter - TI3127 Tie Pilot
I (TK1951)
was thrilled to be event coordinator in Stormtrooper.

We also got assistance from a couple of our local regulars:
Ed Pekin - Stormtrooper
Kevin (CplBear) as Ben Kenobi - Kevin is a Midwest Base Rebel Legion member and a Midwest Order Jedi Assembly member.

We all arrived on time and made our way to the garage to change.
Our hosts wanted a couple of Stormtroopers out to greet guests with the balance of the costumed participants hiding in the garage for the grand entrance. Our homeowners were definite Star Wars fans and have gone to most of the Celebrations (including CIV) and local Cons where Star Wars has a presence.

TK6442 and I went out front to greet guests for a couple hours. The other participants waited and chatted in the garage. Just before the big production number, TK265 and Ed Pekin joined TK6442 and I near the entrance to the garage and at the prescribed time the homeowner began his "production number". He had spliced together some dialogue from the movie along with music....so at the correct time Darth Vader and his Tie Pilots emerged from the garage followed by Kevin as Ben Kenobi.
Rich (as Vader) and Kevin as Ben Kenobi then reenacted the classic battle.

Following the grand entrance we then mingled with the crowd and posed for some photos.

Where the Vehe's didn't get the crowd that they hoped for, those who attended were over the top enthusiastic, and above all, their son with Autism had a GREAT time and for quite awhile before the event he rarely left TK6442 and my side. He was a joy to hang out with.

After our costume portion was done, we were also asked to stay for the movie. Lee had done some very creative editing of previews and a sly introduction into "A New Hope".

Most of us stayed and enjoyed nit-picking all of the continuity issues in "A New Hope" and each of us who have done the various costumes whispered some insight to the others. Every time I watch this movie, I pick up something new!

Thanks again to our troops....we had a great time!

Photos:

Schph Gochi's photos (TK1951):
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... 7/?start=0

Dad Vader's (SL1781) photos:
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/ ... nd-raiser/

Whinter Fenlynn's (TI3127) photos:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x273 ... Channahan/

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

AWESOME! Image

I LOVE that poster! :lol:
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.

Targ
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 3853

Nice Work

Post by Targ »

Nice work but who left Rich in the dryer on high heat?
Served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
Now serves as Mentor,
and Shadow Commander.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

:rotflmao:

cplBear
MWG Member
MWG Member

Re: Nice Work

Post by cplBear »

Nice work but who left Rich in the dryer on high heat?

It wasn't the dryer at all .....It was my NEW Force powers[or is that Harry Potter powers] that turned Him into that Mini Vader . Guy just needed to be Cut down to size . All that Blabbering about.. " I am now the Master " .....and " Callin me an Old Man " and all ! Pffffft ! :P
Mud hole! My home this is - Yoda

IN6951 Imperial Navy Trooper .

MusicTrooper
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 14121

Post by MusicTrooper »

Much thanks for the opportunity:-)

One photo I like, is this one showing
a Tie-Pilot with what looks to be
deep sea-lighting on their helmet :lol:

cplBear
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by cplBear »

You like that one do you ? If you only knew "WHY " it looks like that tho . That one is pure Eeeeeeeeeevil ! Eeeeeeevil i tell you ! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

The "headlamp" Tie Fighter Pilot is going to be Cheryl's curse....as the "too short" is mine...
:wink:

Fitz6442
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6442

Re: Nice Work

Post by Fitz6442 »

marstoq wrote:Nice work but who left Rich in the dryer on high heat?
Phyllis, I don't know if you could hear him or not, but when you were having problems with your camera before this picture, the boy was reciting lines from the movie. That's why he kept holding his hand in a fist, "If you only knew the power of the Dark Side!"

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

No....I didn't hear that....I guess I was too busy stressing over my stupid camera...

Jason spoke in really soft tones....most times I could not make out what he was saying....
I don't hear really well even with my bucket off...I guess it is from 28 years of working in an environment that half of the time you can't hear yourself think with all the air tools and pounding compressors...

cplBear
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by cplBear »

Did we know that Lee Vehee [the host ] , won the BEST comedy film award at celebration 4 ? It was for that Darth Tater video he showed . He was listed as a "chicago film-maker " in the press release . COOL BEANS huh Phyliss ? :lol:

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

You know....I THOUGHT I saw that "Eyes of Darth Tater" before....I had seen a couple of the fan films on the net....and ....when I saw his name in the credits...I thought ...WOW...

Since Fitz and I were outside a lot...I didn't get much of a chance to chat with our hosts...that and they were a little busy...lol..

and I was by my Jeep when he must have gone in and got his award....I saw him holding that gold C-3PO and R2 statue...and was wondering what that was about...

WAYYYYYYY cool....

and...well...
time to be scared...

Lee's dad was videotaping the entire event....
we could see ourselves in a comedy in the future...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

From Lee Vehe:

Although the attendance was down from last year, those who attended were amazed by your costumes and also your commitment to charitable causes. In fact one person even expressed interest in joining your group. Your biggest fan was in fact my son who immediately HAD to put on his Darth Vader costume and had to march along side you. I had the brief opportunity to talk to some of your group and found everyone was very friendly and polite. By the end of the night we had raised over $1000 for autism speaks and that doesn't include the donations that continue to come in online.

As you could probably tell Star Wars is very popular in our household. However we've now learned it isn't as exciting to many of our friends and neighbors as it is to us. Because of this next year we will probably change the theme of the backyard movie fundraiser but we might do another Star Wars related event with the park district instead. We would love to have you involved if we can make it happen.

Additionally I've made a few Star Wars related films. This year I used Mr Potato head but sometimes I need real people. In the past I've often done it all myself, but I really could have saved myself a lot of time if I didn't waste a day making a cardboard stormtrooper costume. If anyone in your group is interested in doing that sometime let me know.

Thank you again for making this event memorable.
LEE VEHE

PS-Rich mentioned that he was going to post some pictures online. Since we didn't get a chance to take any of our own, we would love have that link.
PSS-You mentioned a member was making child sized armor. I'm not sure If that's something I can afford, but send along that info too. THANKS

Proof I know the discomfort of a Vader costume...
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/ C4_Video_ForceCast_TV_Hasbro_Special_Announcements_106437.asp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akdkDj9iEtE

DARTH TATER links...
http://starwarsblog.wordpress.com/2007/ ... r-profile- lee-vehe/
http://www.atomfilms.com/2007/starwars/ ... /index.jsp

Me pretending to be you...
http://www.ifilm.com/myifilm/vehder/video/2801822? sublisting=videos&page=1

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

I guess we are unforgetable...lol.
Lee kept my last e-mail to him for over two years and sent me this note today:

"Hello Phyllis and everybody with the MWG and MWB, hope all is well. Thought you might want to check out a film I made since it features quite a few stormtroopers, and other costumed characters. It's called WTF STAR WARS and you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find it. If you like it vote for it, if not I promise to do better next time. thanks,
LEE"

Here is the link to his movie-his is the last one..."WTF Star Wars"

http://www.atom.com/spotlights/starwars ... /vote.html

I didn't get a chance to watch the entire thing...
but that is Lee playing Han and Luke as the X-Wing pilot for sure...
and probably it is him in many of the other roles..

Make sure to vote for him..

We ran into Lee and his family at the Premier of "Clone Wars" too ...the one I costumed in Woodridge!