The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Costumes outside of the Star Wars universe.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 82659

Re: The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Post by Atrek »

He could be the Thomas you are looking because he said he was 6' ;)
IC-82659
Reserve Pilot (TI)/Imperial Bridge Crewman (IC)

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

LOL, I have found my Thomas. Now he just needs to convince the wife to why money disappears every month buying shiny sequins and leather. He already has a shiny black TK. He's practically there! :lol:
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Just so you know that it is the right person since I never got a last name mention Christopher/Chris the Game Dev student to him if he knows who that is, then it is the right Caleb you emailed. :wink:
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

He said you were a programmer and brought up the legion and this daft thread
Affirmative confirmation of identification.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Lol, sounds like what I did though he brought up your name first, then it was daft build thread since he never saw/heard about it. :wink:

Now i think it is time to sing: It's a small world after all... :D

EDIT: Ran into him today, he said you messaged him small world after all song, and that it made his day. lol
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Most excellent!

I had an mention on Fashionably Geek! TOO COOL! THANK YOU STEFEN!

http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/daf ... MJ1tcYP.01

Some more great pictures by JWC, shown on his blog!

http://jwctp.tumblr.com/post/6011598415 ... n-con-2013

In the endless quest to color match Daft's RAM boots, I did some comparisons between glitters.

These were the culprits. On top are Martha Stewart brand glitter and on bottom is Hobby Lobby's brand.
Not all Glitter is created the same! by TK9336, on Flickr

Martha's black ultrafine vs. HL's ultrafine. Martha's is more refined and much smaller in size. From a foot away it looks like a powder.

Martha's Hematite ultrafine vs. HL's ultrafine gunmetal. Same idea here with size, but it really isn't a color, it's a mix of silver and black, on a really small scale.

I ended up mixing both for curiosity sake.

I really, really like this picture of Daft from the VMA's because it shows their RAM boots in natural light. I think Martha's hematite is the ticket. Maybe a little black mixed in...what do you think?
Daft Punk at the VMA's! by TK9336, on Flickr

I am using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive this time around. Now that the boots are really broken in from Dragon*Con the glitter, being smaller this time too, will rest in the recesses. Modpodge creates a big seal...my boots literally molted out of the glitter skin once it got broken in!

Also, some pictures of my lame half arsed Daft Trooper at Dragon*Con! Thanks to the photographers Lou and DrukGyalpo on deviantart!

Daft Trooper! by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Trooper by TK9336, on Flickr

Going to attempt dying a new visor tomorrow using iDye Poly!

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 321

Post by TK321 »

I love how the pedestrians in Atlanta find it perfectly acceptable to see costumed characters walking around in the middle of the day.

Now I need to bang my head against the desk to get rid of that &*%^$#!!! Small World song bouncing around in it...thanks :evil:
Rob, Robb, Robert, Robby.
So many personalities, so little time.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

It's a lot worse during Saturday when literally all the people on the streets are in costume. It's breathtaking.

TK321
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 321

Post by TK321 »

My first year there I was gawking at people and walked into a fire hydrant.
The armor did provide some needed protection. :shock:
Rob, Robb, Robert, Robby.
So many personalities, so little time.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Last weekend I had the opportunity to partake in a photoshoot with Wild Fire Harley-Davidson. I had dyed my new visor but since my dremel died I didn't have the means to trim it to shape. So I used my old one. The images weren't going to be sold, and it was fun to get my Guy-Man surrounded by attractive, smexy ladies. I asked RiverWalk Studios for a teaser to see how the pictures turned out and here are the two I was sent:

Teasers from the Harley-Davidson/Daft Punk Photoshoot by TK9336, on Flickr

Teasers from the Harley-Davidson/Daft Punk Photoshoot by TK9336, on Flickr

I also, finally, finally, FINALLY GOT AN ORIGINAL PAIR OF ADIDAS KAREEM V2 HI TOPS! The SAME shoes Daft Punk wears. They are some of the rarest sneakers out there. I found a pair via Chris.jones on the RPF. This is the only pair I have ever come across in the two years I have been searching. They arrive a week from now. SO PUMPED!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Awesome! I really want to see this in real life now. :shock:
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I acquired the holy grail of my Human After All costume. Actual Adidas Kareem V2 Hi Tops in all black. Thanks to Chris' friend Michael over on the RPF I was able to finally get a hold of one of the rarest sneakers made by Adidas. To say I am over the moon is an understatement!

Once I get a new jacket that fixes some of the errors that is present on my current HAA jacket, my HAA will be totally complete. (Still not sure how I want to do the foam panels on the back of Guy's lid yet.)

Adidas Kareem V2 Hi Tops by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Shoes @Flynn's Arcade by TK9336, on Flickr

Electroma 110 by TK9336, on Flickr

daft-punk_whitewall-magazine_5 by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Relaxing by TK9336, on Flickr

daftpunkadidasproof by TK9336, on Flickr

Still waiting on getting my electronics back from Georgia. Not sure if I want to get a felt toe bumper sewn on or not, I kinda wanna leave it as original as possible. My converted Jabbars you can see in my Dragon*Con pictures will be available to be bought. They are US Size 9. Looking for $100 for the pair. Only worn one night, at Dragon*Con and at the photoshoot I did for two hours. Before that, they were deadstock (not produced anymore by Adidas, but still unopened in the box.) Send a PM if interested.

I have no updates for my Discovery build yet. New job is sucking the life outta me lately.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I am going to move towards sewing a glitter fabric on the shoes instead of glue and tossing it on. Still waiting on my contact in the 501st to get back to me, but I am pretty hopeful.

I have some more teasers to share!

Harley-Davidson Shoot by TK9336, on Flickr

Untitled by TK9336, on Flickr

I am also working on getting a motorcycle shop to make new leathers for me (since my jacket has errors big and small.) I'm pretty excited because all the tools used by leather professionals and have the hallmarks of a tough motorcycle jacket! Estimates right now is at about $800. If it comes through I will be selling my current jacket to break even for that (which is pretty darn good in it's own regard, I'm just a perfectionist, and purist.)

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I have no real news to share. Still waiting on a motorcycle shop to get back to me about making a tough version of the HAA suit. No RAM shoes to update with. I plan on finishing this Moguai Guy-man first, and get going on making these Discovery backpacks. But I do have some photos to share because I am a dork and this thing always looks cool behind a lens.

Le Knight Club? Nope, just me spreading the Robot Gospel! by TK9336, on Flickr

Have fun this Halloween!

Harley Photoshoot by TK9336, on Flickr

The things I come across randomly on facebook...

Face Swap! by TK9336, on Flickr

Face swap!

C'mon...don't taze me bro! by TK9336, on Flickr

Don't taze me bro!

Stay daft my friends.

uoresu
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 92711

Post by uoresu »

Super badass and loved seeing it in person at the Tuscan photo shoot over the weekend was even more badass :thumbs: :cheers: :thumbs:

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Finally getting a chance to post my "ELECTROMA" style pics. Not completely alike to SoCal, but they turned out pretty well. All taken during a massive Tusken Raider photoshoot, Daft Punk ain't got time for dat! Just kidding. Thanks to my photographer, Hawk Worley. Next time, I'll light myself on fire! I still want to make that circuit board face. I wonder if it's just a large regular component they cut apart...but alas:

DAFT PUNK : "ELECTROMA" Photoshoot 2013 by TK9336, on Flickr

A sharp eye will note I am wearing the real Jabbars. I am not happy about the size of helmet, but other than that...this HAA impression is complete. V1 jacket still...but one day I shall have V2...and it will be EPIC! (It's in the works. Of course, it takes forever -__-)

Stay Daft my friends.

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 542

Post by Mr Fett »

It's almost as if Kevin likes Daft Punk or somethin'.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I think he has a problem. So much that he is typing the third person!

Still haven't gotten my stuff from GA back yet :/

I am split either making my current Thomas HAA, RAM, or Discovery era. One day I will have them all...but right now I am leaning towards HAA to have a complete set for costuming with.

I also had an opportunity to take some studio photos with a amazing local photographer, Matthew Crowley. Check'em out:

Daft Punk : Matthew Crowley by TK9336, on Flickr

shoe_zps590df151 by TK9336, on Flickr

HAA Era - Studs by TK9336, on Flickr

I definitely, definitely need to re pad my helmet. The most telling way Guy wears his helmet is that you can clearly see his neck from the front, and sides. My helmet is also too big for my size, sadly. I will eventually end up selling it to sculpt my own.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Back with some news:

I almost got a cease and desist from YSL-Paris because of the RAM Daft Punk glitter boots I made. Basically, I lost Facebook for a week (where the complaint originated from YSL thinking I was going to sell them.) So if you want a pair...make your own! That said, I am 99% sure this new glitter and glue will be much more true to the originals.

I have also reached out to a 501st seamstress in Texas who works on costumes professionally. I plan on getting new RAM tuxedos, black, gold and silver. The idea this second time around is to layer the sequins as opposed to laying a flat plane. When I made the first RAM costumes, there was less than a month and half lead time into leaving to debut at Dragon*Con 2013 (8/29/13-9/2/13). There is no rush this time, and I want to nail the looking perfectly. Plus she has worked at a tux shop and has a lot of experience working with tuxedos specifically...which is a huge plus! I don't know how much they will be, but you pay for quality. I am thinking off offering my current RAM tuxedo which is the most accurate replica that exists (correct sequins and pattern). It was custom tailored to me (I am Guy's size, 5'7" about 160lbs). So think a 40S in US suit sizes. Not perfect, but the best out there until I make my new ultimate ones. Interested? Drop me a PM.

I have also been plugging away at a Mogaui V2 Guy-Man for a friend of mine. I am also doing a pair of Volpin's gloves for him too (he is the same size as me, so I will make it to fit me and then show all of you what it looks like versus my Sorenzo lid/FIRE_WIRE gloves).

Acme 12/13 by TK9336, on Flickr

The glove pull isn't very sharp which left me to a "guesstimate" on a few cuts. Having done two pairs of gloves already it was a no-brainer, but if your just getting started...take your time, or get FIRE_WIRE's. They are far more defined and forgiving. I say that only because in my builds I like to strive for 99% accuracy and like to know it's as close as possible. If I mess up, it bugs me wayyyyyyy too much that it's not perfect (which explains why I have done things twice, and thrice over on my Daft gear.)

I do have a question and would like a second opinion from the veteran Daft Punk purists and researchers on what they think that neck guard is on Guy-Man's HAA helmet. The V2 Moguai and my own Sorenzo GM are both HAA, and I still need to add this on. Take a look. I wanna to say it's foam-

Foam Back by TK9336, on Flickr

Nothing to speak of regarding my Discovery build, still all drawings and a pile of construction materials. I am tossing up ideas for my Daft Trooper helmet, and armor...right now I have three versions...but I am most excited for a twist on the Encore suits since TK armor has many highlights and geometrical shapes that would respond well to that style.

Anyways...it's cold.

Stay daft my friends.