The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Costumes outside of the Star Wars universe.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

The suit has sold! Someone's son is going to have a awesome gift. Funny thing...both things I am selling (HAA DP suit and Clone trooper armor) ended up going to Wisconsin (in a few weeks). That takes a load off my shoulders.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

A nice picture taken at the 501st Midwest Garrison's annual Formal by Thomas Spanos (see also; The Clone Emperor, Darth Bane, Gunner Kreig, respectfully.) In case I run into you at a Con you can recognize me without the lids! If you didn't already know me by now!

I have the week to work on this full time, and finish this. So very excited!

MWG 2013 Formal 4 by TK9336, on Flickr
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Firebat
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 373

Post by Firebat »

Lot of work my friend keep it up!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Just looking for a second opinion. Guy (the one wearing the patch jacket is 5'7" and about 140lbs for scale). I am also that height, though about 25 lbs heavier.

What size would you say these patches are? I am making this akin to the leather suit. I want to say 6x6" but maybe it's more like 5x5". I am not sure, thus why I am asking!

Daft Punk patch jacket by TK9336, on Flickr

Thanks!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thanks Jon Weger for helping get the right size patches (as noted on your post via the main 501st boards.)

Some updates:
- Apoxie Sculpt acquired for fixing Thomas' lid.
- Glove Panels ready to be mounted on sprue tree.
- Fitted for the mock up for HAA suit #2 (and final mock up fitting this coming Tuesday.)

Glove Panels (a piece went rogue, in particular G I1)
Gloves (missing G I1) by TK9336, on Flickr

This is the most basic of mock ups. The final pattern pieces (23 of'em) will be drafted onto the shell created here. (Adjusting for the fit noted, of course). I also need to paint the suede darker since it looks more charcoal than jet black in the pics.
Mock Up Part 1 by TK9336, on Flickr

Mock Up Part 1 by TK9336, on Flickr

Armor Party tomorrow with my fellow 501st'ers. Though my work will be on finishing the gloves and lids for the chromer come Monday or high water. It's okay since Daft Punk likes Star Wars anyways!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Armor Party 02/10/13 by TK9336, on Flickr

I tried Apoxie Sculpt and my table mate Thomas Spanos (whose made Durge, The Clone Emperor, Darth Bane, Xizor, Gunner Krieg, and many more from SCRATCH) taught me how to use it, and different glues to fix the cracks in my helmet along with finishing it.

I learned early on when your just 20 years old with little experience (just TK armor/plastic armors) tackling a project as unforgiving and immense as this; good manners and good deal of respect get you great rewards. I am flattered so many have helped me get over the fear of ruining the helmet with materials I have never used before. Gotta love the creative process!

Fixing the vents by TK9336, on Flickr

Repair the back lip (needs sanding!) by TK9336, on Flickr

Now to sand that, smear a lil bondo and these suckers are ready to go to the chromers!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

It would appear I have a lot of sanding to do. The top of the GM helmet is too fat, since the screen one is much thinner in appearance. That, and the bottom lip where the jaw is flattened there is a lot resin present. Since I am mounting the visor from the inside (the accurate method) there is a lot of resin that needs to be sanded down.

On the Thomas lid, there were dimples from the cast, like big ones in the visor. I put some Apoxie sculpt on there and going to need to sand that as well. I keep delaying the trip to the chromers in this elusive quest for perfection.

I put on the apoxie last night and it is hard enough to be sanded today. Instead of losing a night of work, I instead started on another project that needed to be completed before I shipped the lids off to the chromer; to save myself time. While the lid's are being chromed I can finish the electronics.

While the majority of the electronics are soldered and ready to rock (minus my custom equalizers for both helmets) they needed their housings, or chassis to sit on. That way while the lids are being chromed, I can build the electronics rigs and sleep easy they are already fitted. That way when the lids get back from C'n'C in California in early April all I need are a few days to install the rigs and let the glue cure, put in the visors, and put in black fabric over the nose vents in the Thomas helmet and I am ready to "robot rock."

Pics

Light Fan Mock ups by TK9336, on Flickr

Light Fan Mock ups by TK9336, on Flickr

A keen observer would note this method isn't new, instead it is a tried and tested method started with Volpin, done by Tekparasite, and now yours truly. If the wheel isn't broken, why re-invent it?

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Last Friday I got fitted again for the mock up. Two more fittings and then it's leather time. I am pretty excited.

Mock Up: Part Deux by TK9336, on Flickr

Mock Up: Part Deux by TK9336, on Flickr

Installing the visor from the inside is going to be tricky for Guy, and I still have yet to figure out a way to do it. Lots of sanding needs to be done still, sadly.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Sorry for being MIA for the last two weeks guys. I've been a lazy bones, but progress continues. I am pushing my deadline to C2E2 and the chromer having enough time to do the helmets but come Hell or high water these will be out to C'n'C tomorrow.

I had the privilege of being invited to join fellow 501st artists, and professional prop makers last weekend at the monthly get together at Acme Design, Inc. After getting professional advice at Acme, by a crew of very talented lads (of various backgrounds) on everything from casting, vacuum forming, to machines I can't even remember the names of I feel pretty pumped to hammer this project out. It was like being a kid in a candy store. Or being 10 years old in the Star Wars shop attached to Star Tours at Disney.

Though this project needs to close and be finished. It's been dragging on since September, 2012 for goodness sakes. The new album might as well come out before I am finished! (Then I will look like a bandwagon fan :( )I was lucky enough to get some pointers on my lids at their current stage and were examined by the owner, and fellow attendees. It was like watching a crime scene investigation, the owner noting how they were casted, all the imperfections, and tips to finish the project. He was no stranger to Daft helmets, but was impressed by the scale of the build. It was positive criticism (I mean I can't be any more of a amateur than I already am and have PLENTY to learn), but seeing all the little stuff to be filled on the lids after they were hit with some very high end primer was kind of disappointing. (I am talking the cast itself, not small pinholes to be filled.) I feel with the amount of work I have put into the casts I could've made my own helmets by now. :/ Also note, professional paint sprayers, and paint booths are AWESOME.

In short, after ohhh'ing and ahhh'ing it was a humbling experiencing getting reminded with how much I don't know. Here's some proof while I was caught working on my helmets (for no more than 30 seconds before I saw something even cooler being done and procrastinated even more on sanding the lids.)

Working at Acme by TK9336, on Flickr

Acme by TK9336, on Flickr

I didn't get MUCH done, but learned a lot about processes, and materials to get to make life easier in the future. And on that note, for all your 3M Bondo'centric people this stuff is FANTASTIC. It's called Micro Lite by NAPA Auto Parts. Very accessible in the US, and a gallon of the stuff is about $30. I thank again Thomas Spanos for getting me hooked on the stuff, letting me borrow some at the Acme weekend build.

Micro Lite, the good stuff! by TK9336, on Flickr

I like it's sanding qualities much over bondo...any day of the week. Regarding it's actual quality as a car light weight body filler...I have no clue. I don't think any tool I have used in amateur prop building I have actually used for it's intended purpose. That's right, I am a REBEL!

Shipping this Wednesday to the chromer to be overnighted to make my little deadline of being completely done by April 26th. (And on that note, if you ever chrome something, SAVE the box you originally received your prop in [if you didn't make it yourself, like me,] because that way, you might as well save a few bucks.) If it they aren't chromed in time, there is Motor City Comic Con in Michigan in mid May which I hear is a blast and why not...it'll be con season!

I'll take pics of the lids before I ship them. Also of all the junk I used to prep them for chroming, including the bit sizes of the drills used on Guy-man. Just need to sand them first.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hey peeps...this was fitting #3. Sorry about the fogginess of the image. Not my phone camera but I wanted pics for the continuity of the build. After having my seamstress basically construct this out of thin air according to GSTQF's patterns I will say this- those patterns do not let you 100% replicate her work (as how it should be). So for those of you also making your own, her patterns are a great base, but won't get it fully done. (If she did, people be cranking out this suit like rabbits reproduce.) So while mine is based upon her patterns, the execution has much altered from hers leaving me a design that is original to me.

Also know, her patterns aren't really scaled in her PDF, so make sure your ENTIRE body is measured. You cannot scale her PDF to match you, as I said before, it is a base to start from, not really to replicate in it's entirety. Which is partially responsible to my first suit being botched up in regards to scaling, and size. Besides the fact the difficulty of the suit was beyond the skill of my previous seamstress.

That said, the mockup is best put together in a puzzle-esque manner, pieces at time versus making it one full piece as demonstrated by the placement of the knee. That is why I am missing a pant leg.

Fitting #3 by TK9336, on Flickr

Fitting #3 by TK9336, on Flickr

If it was easy, everyone would do it. C2E2 nears, and I have 43 days left until I need to be done. It's going to be a ride!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

...And I'm all set. I try the leather on at the end of the month.

The last fitting! by TK9336, on Flickr

The jacket will be heavier and flatter once in leather, and zippers, etc. Looks poofy in the picture but I cannot wait. Very, very satisfied to be working with such a skilled seamstress!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Not much is new. Just sanding. I am so close to perfection on my Guy helmet. I did a lot of guessing on where to place the 3mm LED's next to the center jack. Most versions have them close, while early versions, and notably the back up helmets have the holes spaced out to each end. I am on the final pass through. Sand the last tiny spots, prime again and send with the gloves.

I haven't mounted the gloves yet though. Probably going to sacrifice a plastic clothes hanger for that.Thomas is still in the works. I am close to just selling this current cast to nab Firewire's V2, but I already have the array so...meh.

I get to try the leather on next week, which I am pretty pumped for.

I was really pushing this to be ready for the Chicago Entertainment and Expo Convention (C2E2) coming up at the end of April. I heartily doubt the good crew at C'n'C could chrome my Guy man in time for it. After all the blood, sweat, and MANY tears over this project...I will just get it ready for Motor City Comic Con in Detroit, which is Michigan's largest convention. Chicago love will come in May it seems. (New album coincidence?) Either way, I forsee the entire ensemble being very popular soon. And a new wave of fans come check out builds like this...so I welcome you new guys now :)

Both are also 501st events, and I will never miss an opportunity to bump the Legion. So come out!

I also took a trip to Reynolds Advanced Materials here in Northern IL, with my good friend Jon W...fellow Garrison mate (and new Chewbacca in Illinois! He is quickly becoming a go-to guy with making Star Wars props. He's jweger77 on the RPF.) They sell Smooth On's ENTIRE range of products. For you guys new to casting, this is what this stuff is made from. A keen eye would recognize 65D and Onyx. I highly recommend getting samples BEFORE you cast anything. This is stuff is really about getting hands on and feeling the product.

Reynolds Adv Materials Trip! by TK9336, on Flickr

That's all for now gang. Sanding isn't exciting. Another bump for Microlite...beats the living bodyfillin' daylights outta bondo. 10/10. Although drilling through it is like butter...which took a while to perfect...and not screw up.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I will don my Daft leathers at C2E2. but will be wearing a cardstock A2 helmet since mine will be getting chromed meanwhile. I aim for it to be comical. There will be pictures I'm sure. If someone wants to Daft box head #2 (the silver one) let me know in a PM.

And after a month on and off seriously sanding and working...I FINALLY have my Sorenzo Guy lid ready for chrome. I also made a "glove tree" the frugal way. It took about a hour and 15 minutes, 4 white ABS white hangers, hot glue, and some paper for the mess. I don't have a work bench...so in the true spirit of amateurism I built this on the floor. I tried quick set epoxy but hot glue works 10 times better...and bonded nearly instantly. The last nice thing about it, is that you can peel hot glue off, carefully.

The "glove tree" by TK9336, on Flickr

Granted a five year old could build a more symmetrical glove tree, or sprue tree (for you Warhammer 40k builders out there). But alas it serves my purpose and fits in the box. Plus I have plenty left over hanger bits to make my additional "glove tree's."

The "glove tree" by TK9336, on Flickr

Shipping to C'n'C in the morning, then I am off to water some more "glove tree's."

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Well the first transport is away!

Funny story... while there are two large labels that say fragile, the first thing this kind, older woman working in the post office turns the box on it's side and asks if it's fragile. I just smiled and said yes...very fragile! Also guys new to this, always get insurance on a package like this, better safe than sorry and if it gets broken, well you can get another one.

That said, I packed it to the BRIM with air packets and packing peanuts. It isn't rocket science, but those following along I wanted to document this build from start to finish. I am always available for questions. I haven't casted anything before, but have extensively researched this project, along with all the different makers (one day I will make a comparison picture showing each helmet and it's scale.) I hope all the errors I made, are seen, fixed and when another makes one does it right the first time. For me sadly, everything has had to be re-done...it's like the freaking theme of this build!

But without further ado:

The first transport is away! by TK9336, on Flickr

These are the drill bits I used for my 3mm LED, and the RCA jack on my Guy helmet. While a nice tight fit is achieved, I like to use a garbage LED and jack and then put a little microlite around it. I then remove the piece and sand flush for a perfect fit. I will get out my micrometer to measure the other bit, but the package for the 3mm bit is on this picture.
Da bits. by TK9336, on Flickr

I have to do some fixes on my Stormie suit for a high profile event coming up (which eats into DP time), but I aim to get the Thomas helmet and set of gloves out ASAP! Like next week!

I also try on the leathers this Friday. Pretty pumped. Stay tuned, stay classy!

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

Seriously, why don't we have "like" buttons for posts, 'cause I sure like the progress you're making on this RDB!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Gary recieved the helmet today!

Very excited to start seeing some results. Thank you Jim! That means A LOT coming from you!!!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Some Daft news, though not about my project, the actual dynamic duo is making waves lately! Here's the quick and dirty for the uninitiated;

The first interview from Daft Punk regarding their 4th Studio Album, Random Access Memories. They as a band are a enigma, and that's part of why I love this group. So glad I am making their helmets, if even their older ones! Good read if you don't know what a Daft Punk is:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20130413

And the latest trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJwcOiBoZE

My helmets will be released before the new album release, May 21st. Only I will be at Motor City Comic Con, May 17, 18, and 19th. Pretty excited!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

HAA Suit #2 will be done this coming Sunday afternoon. To say the least I am pumped. We did the first fit of the leather, and doing some more tweaks. We don't necessarily have to tweak it anymore, and a sane person would say it's great, but at this point, going the extra, extra mile will show.

Here are some teasers: (sorry for the bad photo quality, professional photos will be done upon completion.)

RDB's HAA Suit #2 by TK9336, on Flickr
The waist band wasn't added yet, it will after getting the fit corrected today. Adding stuff isn't the hard part, getting the fit perfect, is elusive...but we're staying on target.

RDB's HAA Suit #2 by TK9336, on Flickr
This is the knee joint, which will be lowered, and baffles added in. They weren't added in because had the placement be slightly off (as it was,) then she'd have to completely remake them, so this whole suit is the epitome of the measure twice, cut once mentality.

Each rib is sewn, one at a time. She even scraped the first butt panel because it looked slightly off, and even though with lost time...she wants this done right. I am lucky to have her making this! Also note, there aren't a random amount of ribs on this suit, these are the same amount as made originally by Heidi Slimane for Dior Homme...which took a lot staring at pictures to do! Remember, research is everything with getting it right!

Once Creations'n'Chrome sends me a picture of the results of the chroming, I will post some pics! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this build, and it's only behind both LED chassis' that still need assembly...ugh...but progress is progress!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I've been MIA for a while...C2E2 just passed here in Chicago. It was a blast. Plus I have significant updates:

C'n'C Daft Punk Guy Human After All Helmet! by TK9336, on Flickr

Creation'n'Chrome Daft Punk Hand plates by TK9336, on Flickr

That will arrive sometime this, or next week. I also got to test drive the leathers and this was V1. There is no belt on there, so my pants are sagging and doesn't 100% look right. That's ok though, it was rushed for the con, and V2 is being made to be finished May 22nd (my day to do a photoshoot in downtown Chicago. Need a buddy to wear my Thomas lid though...)

Storm Punk! by TK9336, on Flickr

Storm Punk! by TK9336, on Flickr

HAA Daft Punk Suit V1 by BT by TK9336, on Flickr

Again, the pants look baggy because they are without a belt, and are riding much lower in these pictures than it will be when completely finished.

All the fixes are small and nit picky, but it has to be perfect. A new jacket is being made, and the waistband on the pants is going to be redone as well. The relentless quest for perfection. That said, it's the coolest jacket I've ever owned. I heartily commend my seamtress BT for her outstanding work, and dedication to getting it perfect! If anything, this was a prototype, and that was my test drive.

Can't wait to install the visor, and electronics on Guy man when it gets back. I still have to send my Thomas lid and gloves in to be done. I should get on that...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hey gang,

THE GOLDEN IDOL ARRIVED! I grabbed my V1 HAA jacket, and Aussie hat and opened up the brown box, and the great helmet looked back at me!

Sorenzo Chromed w/raw fitted visor by TK9336, on Flickr

However, upon further excited inspection there were errors. Ones that shouldn't of been there. I received my lid from Creations'n'Chrome. Sad to say I am disappointed. I used a Sorenzo HAA cast (if your following along) if not no worries. Essentially I put a great deal of time cleaning up and preparing Sorenzo's HAA cast to be chromed. I went overkill, but it was seamless, and smoother than a baby's bottom. Chrome finish is unforgiving in the way of errors so I excitedly awaited. The teaser pictures I got were even better than I hoped.

Until I opened it and saw it up close. From a few feet away it's breath taking. (I threw in the untrimmed visor for vanity).

He definitely nailed the color. But once you get close, and inspect it there is overspray, paint drips and a bit of material coming off in one of the ear puck.

I am bummed out. Not the update I wanted to write. So now we'll see what a email back will yield. Hoping for a refund, or a re-do (though I am afraid with a re-do that something bad will happen.)

Now we play the waiting game. My Thomas bucket is still here. Though I might send it elsewhere :(