The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Costumes outside of the Star Wars universe.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

THE GLITTER GODS THAT BE ANSWERED MY CALL!

I've been busy day and night finishing everything for Dragon*Con, and won't be posting that often...most of it will come after Dragon*Con. I will share my YSL boot conversion though!

NOTE: On glitter. I used glass glitter, which from my research is higher end in the glitter world, and lasts longer than plastic. Additionally, black glitter often called "onyx" has a very slight purple tint that I didn't want to deal with. I have a found a suitable black called "midnight" which contains a little silver to be shiny. The thing is, you really can't mix glitter colors...they aren't like watercolors. The finish of mixing hematite (what I used) and this midnight would result in a weird salt and pepper finish. I wanted a consistent finish throughout. I will be the first one to tell you I am not 100% satisfied with the color, but seeing it is pretty darn to graphite in color, I am happy with it. In the glitter world of colors, there is black: Midnight and onyx, Hematite, and then many different silvers. All of the silvers are too light in luster to compare to the dark graphite finish of Daft's. Hematite is the only go between, albeit it is lighter in color. Now if you want to take a chunk of graphite and make it glitter, go for it. This works for me until I, or someone else finds something better. The search continues...

There were a few techniques I learned, this being my baptism with mod podge (super elmer's glue) and glitter.

My first take was using a sponge applicator and putting on generous amounts of glue as a base coat. Then, dump generous amounts of glitter on, tap, and let it sit (to dry...wait 15-20 minutes). I wasn't patient, so I just kept adding. It gave a pretty smooth finish throughout. However, globbing on too much glitter and glue at once...well gravity did it's work. on the heel it would sad. Now it wasn't blatantly obvious, but for a perfectionist like me...well it still bugs me.

The second shoe I went more conservatively. I mixed the glitter and mod podge together and painted it on using a paint brush. This was much slower, and left a bump'ier finish. When doing this, keep in mind the ratio you add glue to glitter. I liked having a thicker glitter glue mix, opposed to a lighter one. I say that because I eventually just added glue dumped glitter on because it worked before. I used the brush on approach to fill gaps, to which to that end, it worked.

Remember however, this stuff does dry clear, but put a big ol' glob on, it will take a much longer time to dry clearly. Sometimes, it would dry to be a opaque finish...not what we're looking for in our case. To fix that, I just brushed more on. Respect the cure time! It does get tacky, SO DON'T TOUCH IT! You will pull glitter off, and glue leaving a weird hole. We don't want that.

To do this, you need these:
- Giorgio Brutini Men's boots
-4oz of Hematite Glitter
-Paint Brush
-Mod Podge (Glossy)
-Newspaper, or work mat
-Sponge applicator (dollar tree/Walmart)
-Masking tape (for taping off heel, and sole)
-X-Acto knife (for cutting along the soles and masking tape to break the glue seal that covers the medium.)
-Disposable cups, plates, spoon (if you want a little bit of control putting the glitter on.)

Also, have patience.

Step 1: Mask off shoes
DP YSL Boot Conversion by TK9336, on Flickr

Step 2: Add glue and glitter (in this picture I went really lightly. Now these can work with a bunch of light coats...however medium coats work just as well. I was trying to get a feel for it.) REMEMBER: you can use the glitter that falls over, just use a cup to reuse.

Step 3: Rinse and repeat Step 2 until the shoes are covered completely. ALLOW CURE TIME: 15-20 between coats (med-light).

Step 4: Fill in the gaps you may have missed, or couldn't resist the temptation to touch them.

Step 5: ALLOW FOR CURING. See anything you missed? Fill it, and let it dry.

Step 6: Optional; cover the entire shoe in mod podge. Mod Podge is unique in that it is a glue, and sealer. Of the tutorials I've seen, people do this to keep all the glitter on. Which it does well, but it will knock down the shine. If I had the choice, I would skip doing it again.

Step 7: Spray with a clear acrylic sealer (GLOSS). It will take down the shine much less than the covering the shoes with a thin coat of mod podge. I used one thin coat of Mod Podge, and two light coats of sealer.

Step 8: LET IT DRY! Overnight would be best.

Step 9: Using your xacto knife, go around the base of the sole, and zipper. There will be a film of the glue (which now is dry, and clear.) If you peel off your masking tape without cutting it, it will peel and stretch off the leather. You cut to prevent that and then push in the recess where the leather meets the shoe. It will leave a clean appearance.

Mine aren't perfect. But they are wearable and get the point across they are part of the RAM costume. Mine globbed in a few areas, which resulted in this project taking all day, instead of 4 hours. I was learning on the fly. Remember, it's all fixable...but doing right the first time will save you time. That said: HAVE PATIENCE. I got over excited. Take your time...it's worth it. Now when I do my buddy's shoes, they will be very neat, and smooth as opposed to mine. I hope this was helpful! I just wish I could find that perfect color of glitter...if you find it, lemme know!

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories by TK9336, on Flickr

Now while the prior pictures show a dark, grey, almost black glitter finish, this picture throws me through a hoop. We have to remember, on the professional magazine shoots, there will be post editing. Pick your battles my Daft friends...

In the search of alternative glitter: here is what I have found...and would love to get samples to show the differences, and even re-do my shoes. Anyways, I would love to see your attempts!

1: #610 Onyx (sticking with the glass glitter)
Fine Glass http://www.artglitter.com/retail/glitte ... ggfine.htm
2: #188 Black Vinyl Pearlescent Ultrafine http://www.artglitter.com/retail/glitte ... fpearl.htm
3. #700 Exotica Microfine Transparent http://www.artglitter.com/retail/glitterpages/rmft.htm

<Drumroll please>
#511 Graphite Microfine Opaque http://www.artglitter.com/retail/glitterpages/rmfo.htm (If I had the choice to do this AGAIN, I'd use this is in a heartbeat. Hint, hint, wink, wink, somebody please try this! I might get this just for sharts and giggles.) Color wise, it is very close to hematite, but for comparison purposes, I would love to see it done.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Sands
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 1590

Post by Sands »

I can't wait to see you in it! My kids are big fans of Daft Punk.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Ok, I am finally back from Dragon*Con. I know you missed me! Right?!

Anyways, before I make a long winded beginning to end post to that nicely wraps on this ENTIRE thread...here are some glamor shots. I helmet mashed eras with my sequin tuxedoes, but don't fret...a RAM helmet will be here eventually. I couldn't resist NOT wearing the sequin tuxs I had made with the utmost accuracy in mind. Let's start with my my buddy and myself:

-I am wearing the first finished Sorenzo HAA helmet.
-My friend on my suggestion is wearing a Volpin HAA cast. (With his with a little work, can get any era Thomas helmet done. We we're going to do the basterdized Discovery lights, and HAA mouth slit, as opposed to the Discovery smile.)
-I was wearing Guy-Man. I am 5'7.4" tall.
-Cam was wearing Thomas. He is 6'3" tall.
-The shoes are glittered Giorgio Brutini's. I actually redid the shoes THE NIGHT BEFORE the con. Cam found AMAZING screen capture matched glitter. Much better than my glass glitter.
-Both gloves are HAA style. The pulled pieces came from FIREWIRE.
-GM was chromed at Creations'n'Chrome. The hand plates are now tarnishing and I want to know why. I've worn them for 3 days!
-TB was chromed at Coat'of'Chrome. Absolutely no problems to report.
-I wore my GSTQF BASED leathers Sunday night with Harrison of Volpin props. My V1 jacket needs to be changed in a bunch of places but the way to tell that is to stand next to the original. My pants waistband needs to be re-done as well.
-I wore the RAM Tuxedos with Cam on Friday afternoon, Saturday in the parade into afternoon, and just in the morning Sunday. We wore the suit and ties Friday night, Saturday night, and wore the Discovery styled suits (Stormtrooper neckseals, and GM ruffled shirt) late Sunday night. We need to get normal tuxedos for more canon official appearances, but the final look was very sharp. The thing about doing a Daft Punk costume with both helmets, is that you HAVE TO MATCH the other. We're talking EXACTLY down to the shoes. Both Cam and I have been with the military one form or another and wore our shiny dress shoes and matching gov't issue ties.
-Balaclavas are important. After this I will need to remove the UnderArmor logo. It takes away from the impression.

THINGS TO FIX:
-Glitter shoes did not last all weekend without cracking. I need to find a super glue spray adhesive since mod podge peels off in sections. My shoes had this problem more because I used glass glitter which is hard, and brittle. The plastic glitter we used bends much more, even though my friend still had some small tears. I am always trying to find better ways to do these things, so if you know how to solve this, post!
-My Adidas Jabbars we're ok. I lost black paint as predicted. The VHT vinyl dye needs to cure a week ahead, instead of a couple days is my guess. I have found a contact that has the incredibly rare shoes as originals. He wants an arm and a leg for them, of course. Maybe.
-The helmet padding in my GM needs another layer of foam on the top of the helmet so my HAA cast sits where you can see my neck. I was close, but not perfectly canon. Thankfully, it's an easy fix with industrial velcro. The padding I found was motorcycle helmet padding for just the top and it works PERFECTLY. GM is actually comfortable to wear, and breathes well.
-I need a longer gold chain. Off to da Wal-mart and big box stores!

Huge thanks to Thom Wall of Sorenzo props.

Without further ado:

Dragon*Con 2013 by TK9336, on Flickr

Strutting downtown Atlanta by TK9336, on Flickr

In these pictures you can see through the visors. Both visors are going to be redone completely. They work in all the other pictures though.

Driving the Corvette, Electroma 2013 style. by TK9336, on Flickr

People thought the Daft+Corvette was pretty neat! by TK9336, on Flickr

With Harrison of Volpin Props:

I was awestruck, not gonna lie! I need to make fixes in my suit, and pictures like this can show why. I can't wait t see the pictures his wife took, especially back to back!

Dragon*Con 2013 by TK9336, on Flickr Can any one identify this fellow? I loved his idea to use the Discovery backpack as a boom box.

I still have some stuff to fix, primarily the visor (which I have a new one to dye with a 1:1 ratio of black to dark green to do what Pedro did with his to great success.) Thank you to everyone who has chimed in one way or another to help me on this great journey. Best 21st birthday, EVER!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

My mentor and good friend Thomas Spanos caught up with me Sunday night of Dragon*Con and took some great photos of Volpin and myself. You can totally tell where I need to fix my leather jacket, but this was the first time (I'm not totally sure) both Thomas and Guy lids were both in leathers.

Dragon*Con 2013 by Thomas Spanos by TK9336, on Flickr

Electroma 20 by TK9336, on Flickr

HAA Era by TK9336, on Flickr

HUGE thank you to Thomas, and Volpin for letting me roll with him Sunday night. Your a scholar and gentleman!

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

Now that's just all kinds of awesome! Thanks for sharing the journey with us RDB!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thank you Jim! Your support throughout the whole ordeal was most encouraging!

Volpin sent this to me today. I have to say it's totally in character and to quote "very Daft Punk style."

Daft Punk - Dragon*Con 2013 by TK9336, on Flickr

Dragon*Con 2013 - Tumblr by TK9336, on Flickr

And now, to get back to work because right now my gloves are tarnishing for some reason, and I need to replace the bad visor in my helmet. Going to have electronics done for Halloween for some cool photos. Again I can't thank you enough Volpin...too much awesome!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 82659

Post by Atrek »

This is pure awesomeness! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
IC-82659
Reserve Pilot (TI)/Imperial Bridge Crewman (IC)

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Thanks!

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

Now you just have to learn how to mix on 2 turntables and really be able to sell it! You have to enter some costume contests with this and have a Daft Punk DJ table set up for the "show".

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

That's definitely been on my afterburner Jim! I just need to find a MWG member to be my other Thomas.

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:That's definitely been on my afterburner Jim! I just need to find a MWG member to be my other Thomas.
:shock: I'd do it! (I am looking at getting "officially" in, almost there :D )
I know some friends of mine that'd go nuts if I did this... They are huge Daft Punk fans.
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

The ideal person to wear my other $2k helmet will have to be 6'ft, or 6'1" and lanky. I am already incredibly close to the height and size, of Guy (gold helmet), and for the impression to hit home like it did at D*C, height is essential.

I plan on re-doing the glitter shoes with a different spray adhesive, does anyone have a recommendation? It has to dry clear, and be able to flex. I am back to researching, yet again!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

:( I am 5'8.5"ish or so
At some point I will have to get a picture with your daft punk costumes, just for fun :P
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Your a good height for Guy-Man, so not a total loss dude!

B&W by TK9336, on Flickr
by Bryan Humphrey of Mad Scientist with a Camera! (yes, you can see right through Thomas' visor...long story, but that is a motorcycle visor held in there by gorilla tape. Gotta love last minute desperation!)

I got some excellent, mind numbingly awesome news last week while I was feeling like pure death from some illness that hit me from out of left field...

So, my friend Alex (who also, surprisingly enough loves Daft Punk) has a buddy who works at Columbia Records. Once I started sharing pictures from Dragon*Con, namely the black and white one that was us in the suit and ties walking down Peacetree Marketplace in Atlanta, Alex started re-posting and sending them out to his friends. Well, the B&W among others were sent to his friend who is a photographer at Columbia Records in LA. After getting a request from the photographer to get photos from the Columbia photographer I saw Alex tried calling me 5 times in a row, I figured I muster up the strength to talk. Before I called I got this message over facebook from Alex: "OK well long story short. My Columbia friend has been showing coworkers your pics, and actually circulated around. Eventually it came across one of the members Guy I believe. Exact words were " wow, very impressive! if I ever need a double, I know who to find." This was said sometime this week."

Yeah I basically danced around like Charlie's grandfather did in Gene Wilder's Wonka and Chocolate Factory once he heard he got a golden ticket. I can't wait to get out to LA now. Seriously, I am still glowing. I just wish I got that directly from Guy-Man, but we can all dream! (Maybe they will want me for something, the FIRST PLUS TO BEING MY SIZE! YAY!) Well no more doubts on being Guy-Man sized. Now to just get a slightly smaller helmet and I am so on the money it's not even funny. Some would say the lid I have is perfect already, but I think deep down it is a inch too big.

In the meantime I am thinking about using 3m spray adhesive for the glitter on the boots. Mod Podge creates a film and the whole thing can be peeled off if cracked. Which it most certainly did. It also makes my glitter appear silver, instead of gunmetal black. I might make a concoction of black and gunmetal grey glitter. Some before and after:

Modpodge'd glitte boots after Dragon*Con 2013 by TK9336, on Flickr

Modpodge'd glitte boots after Dragon*Con 2013 by TK9336, on Flickr

So, my battle with daft shoes seems to continue, forever.

Star Wars/Daft Punk - Daft Trooper by bigsby.b, on Flickr

Also-

My for fun mashup...and the title of this thread! A full custom mash-up will be going to CVII, with leds in the armor, and helmet. Soon. Like, when I get another job to fund it soon. LOL!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Awesome news. :thumbs:

On a side note: I ran into a friend of yours at DePaul University, we were talking about Star Wars and the 501st when he mentioned your name and asked if I was doing TK armor myself (very small world around DePaul I am seeing... :shock: ).
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

It wasn't Cam Ciesil was it? I went to highschool with him!

Let's sing together...it's a small world after all! It's a small world after all!

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

No, Caleb was his name (never got a last name from him). He did know you from High School if that helps.
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Caleb Hill?

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by Atrek »

Might be, never got a last name from him, depaul freshman i think, likes anime and League of Legends and knew you from plays.
IC-82659

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Most certainly him. I will have to send him an email. Thanks for the laugh. Small world.