The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Costumes outside of the Star Wars universe.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Alright, here they are. I have two extra to sell to continue to fund the Discovery project.

ImageTK-9336's Daft Punk Discovery Backpacks by TK9336, on Flickr

The last photo illustrates the different heights on the pucks and ring. This decision was based off one screen shot I took of the Tony Garnder interview with Olmega. They are vac formed like the originals, and done in .090 thick, heavy duty ABS plastic!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Dragon*Con is next week. Here's a few photos. This is my last post until the con, unless by some miracle Tuesday I have 30 minutes to get on my laptop and post. If you want up to the minute updates, follow my instagram TK9336.

Grammy stuff in the works and arrived today.

ImageDaft Punk Grammys Gloves WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageDaft Punk Grammys Suit by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageDaft Punk Grammys Suit by TK9336, on Flickr (Yes, that is PEDROALOHA's PERFECT GUYMAN LID!!!!!!!!!!! More on that after D*C)

ImageDaft Punk Grammys Suit by TK9336, on Flickr
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

ImageDragon*Con 2014 was like a warhead candy, really sour, then very sweet! by TK9336, on Flickr

The dust has pretty much settled from Dragon*Con.

If you follow the various feeds, you've noticed I didn't finish Discovery Daft in time, even though I tried. That said, It came to a point where rushing all that hard work wasn't worth it, as there is always Dragon*Con 2015 and I have much more established plans for it.

I did finish the 56th Annual Grammy's Daft Punk costumes however! I need to seriously pad my helmet (I made it wearable in the hotel room :/ ). Other than that, it is gorgeous and everything really came together for it in time.

Here's a photos I did with Jang Choe:

ImageDaft Grammy's Shoot with Jang Choe by TK9336, on Flickr

Here's a few from the floor:

ImageGrammys Daft Punk by TK9336, on Flickr

I spent my Dragon Con in my room up until Saturday night at 2AM. That said I was only in costume Sunday (and for a few hours in the Grammys Friday). I would never ever recommend that to any one. Dragon*Con is a 5 day event for a reason. So this year I missed out big time, and certainly regret it. I decided to throw on HAA lids and just go have fun on the floor and bumped into Interstalla 5555 costumers which turned my entire weekend around. People were absolutely ecstatic the team up finally happened. That said, big plans are in motion for next year.

ImageDaft Punk's Discovery: Interstella 5555 by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageDaft Punk Discovery by TK9336, on Flickr

My buddy's Corvette engine blew up a week prior to the event, so we decided last minute to go boldly where no robot has gone before.

ImageDaft Punk: The Next Generation by TK9336, on Flickr

A full write up of the Discovery costumes will come when they are finished. I just mentally need a little break from the chromed robots. I am aiming for Halloween to break out Discovery Daft in full. I am going to assemble my photographer pals and we're going to walk around downtown Chicago just like they did Tokyo. Too bad I didn't get on the daft wagon earlier and pair this with the 10 year anniversary of the release!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Wow, I never uploaded the chromed backpack or Discovery lid pictures!

D'oh!

I am on the tail end of a commission for a gentleman at 20th Century Fox and have been busy but I am hellbound to finish this project!

ImageDiscovery WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

Stay tuned!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Finally back guys!

After wrapping this up-

ImageFirst Daft Helmet Commission! by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageFirst Daft Helmet Commission! by TK9336, on Flickr

I was just acting as the glorified middle man, but a pretty cool dude over at 20th Century Fox reached out to me after having difficulty with a Volpin V3 TB cast and Fire_Wire gloves.

So I polished up the TB and prepped it for chroming. I also removed the spray paint on the hand plates and then prep'd that for chrome as well.

Once back, I assembled all the pieces and made them ready to wear out of the box. The finished pieces are displayed on props from Will Smith's iRobot!

That said, I can finally get back on board with my own projects, and admittedly, I have gone wayyyyy overboard on Star-Lord. The same amount of accuracy OCD I have put on my Daft gear here. Also it has become a massive money pit.

But tomorrow I am going to get the vests together to hold my Discovery back packs on. I plan on using backpacks and magentic strips. The actual chrome packs that Alterian used was just to hide the massive PCB's controlling the helmet electronics. Since then, we can easily store all the tiny boards in the helmets themselves. I am going to use this extra space for my Vocoder pedal, and blutooth speakers.

So essentially, all the soft parts of the Discovery costumes are done. I am not sure if I want to make special Discovery gloves since there will be so little interest in them. Backpacks however I am making more of. The helmet electronics are finally moving forward since I am having new PCB's made for stupid accurate equalizers. For both Thomas and Guy buckets. I am aiming for a March 20th completion date for Discovery Daft Punk, since I started last summer and rushed for a Dragon*Con showing. I cannot to show the full costumes in all their glory.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Not Discovery related, but I finished a HAA Guy-Man set for my buddy Thomas (ironic I knowa couple weeks ago. He has what I would consider the best Guy-Man replicas for 5'7" aiming for a screen accurate Human After All Guy-Man.

ImageThomas' HAA Guy-Man by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

-Mogaui V2 HAA GM (shabby visor however, WAY too thin and flimsy.)
-Volpin HAA Era Handplates
-GSTQF based HAA leathers made from cowhide (able to ride in a motorcylce with assurance. The originals were lambskin however.)
-Look a like Adidas Jabbars

Other than he has what I would consider one helluva HAA GM. Those are all the same parts I would use in mine whenever I get around to doing it again (doin' it right.) The only thing I would change, AGAIN would be the size of the wire. We're talking using 20 or smaller gauge to really authentically recreate Guy's wire hair.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

ImagePress Release of Daft Punk at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

You remember our robotic heroes made a splash at TIDAL?

I originally wanted to finish my the two year long Discovery project for Dragon*Con this year, but since prototyping PCB's was proving costly, and in addition to the BGReplicas showing up on the scene (effectively nearly finishing what I had barely started,) I figured whats a little more time to wait.

So I still wanted to do something new and fresh for this year. The logical choice was Daft's YSL TIDAL costumes. I contacted my buddy overseas who made my Grammy costumes if he was up to doing another project a week or two ago. Now I'm making the build thread.

Let's take a look at what we're dealing with-

ImageDaft Punk at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

So, RAM helmets, YSL velour studded jackets, leather pants, and the same boots they wore with the sequins in the Coachella Teaser/ Get Lucky Music video. They just appear without the glitter. The same RAM digital patterned printed gloves too, and that's about it.

Let's start at the head: Pedro Aloha's RAM GM is just perfect. I fell in love with the hefty build thread and insane dedication to perfection. I used his cast as my Grammy lid, only right I get around to chroming one this time.

ImagePedro Aloha's Raw RAM GM cast by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

ImagePedro Aloha's Grammy RAM GM with raw cast by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

ImagePedro Aloha's RAM GM Lid by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

10/10 this is the cleanest cast I've ever worked with. On par with the fiberglass Volpin TB cast he did for me last year. Just absolute perfection and attention to detail. I ship that off to chrome Tuesday.

Next would be the neck, so here's what I use for a balaclava now.

ImageBalaclava/shirt by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

What I really like about this balaclava/shirt is that by it's very nature it stays taut. What I have found is that just a balaclava bunches up at the base of the neck and pulls off the top the head every time you remove your helmet. These on the other hand have been the exact opposite.

Now the jackets:

From this shot, we can see the stud pattern continues onto the back of the jacket. Also, that Guy and Thomas have gold, and silver studs respectively.

ImageYSL Studded Teddy Jacket in Black Velour by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Since we don't get a clear picture of the Daft ones, here is the officially released one via YSL. I am using this a base to the back of mine.

The jackets are made with velour fabric, similar to the stuff fancy European pillows are made from. If your grandma was anything like mine, you had one or two. Since I'm no fashion designer, the most use I've ever seen with this stuff has been on fancy furniture. So as far as how hot it gets, I have no idea. It will be lined with silk though. Here is the fabric I'll be using:

ImageVelour Farbic by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Here's a link to the variation YSL sells; http://www.ysl.com/au/shop-product/men/ ... pt=rtw_men_

Next up are the iconic gloves:

The same digital printed gloves are back! So this one is a no brainer for me. I'll use my own.

ImageRAM Gloves by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

When I originally made mine for C2E2 in Chicago in 2014, I made a GM and Thomas pair. I never made a mold for my sculpt to vac form more sets. So for D*C it got my butt in gear to make a mold and vac form a set to finally finish my TB pair. Easy.

Next are the pants:
ImageDaft Punk next to Beyonce at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr
ImageYSL Leather Pants by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Daft undoubtedly used leather pants at the conference. I originally wanted to as well, but a few factors came into play, 1) the Atlanta heat, 2) practicality, 3) cost. I usually spare no expense on my Daft gear (so much so I got hate mail on Instagram about it!) But a pragmatic approach was taken this time. I couldn't find a affordable (under $200) pair of decent pants that had all the same hallmarks the originals had. Eventually I did, but they were PVC/vegan leather and weren't going to be form fitting the way I needed them. The ones I found were entry level/novelty leather pants. No clue how the fit would be (why buying leather garments online is a poop show.)

Here's a link to the YSL leather pants if you're so inclined: http://www.ysl.com/au/shop-product/men/ ... 503fr.html#

Instead my Atlanta local Fashion Photographer buddy JWCP (who did my Grammy shoot at last year's Con) suggested designer waxed denim jeans. He sent me links to YSL's own waxed denim which is similar to their leather pants as far as placement and fit goes:

ImageYSL Waxed Black Denim Jeans by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Here's a link to the YSL waxed denim in leather look: http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/Sa ... 23135112:s

So with that in mind, I went on a mission to find a comparable pair to the YSL denim. After a couple days of searching I found a couple, but ASOS was completely out of my size and there was no way I was buying $800 worth of YSL denim so I settled on a similar pair from SYSTVM (another designer brand).

ImageSYSTVM Pants by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

The best part about the SYSTVM waxed denim was not only it hit the accuracy points I needed, but cost was spot on in regards to my budget. For just under $100 bucks I secured two pairs in the sizes I needed.

Here's the link to where I got mine: http://www.c21stores.com/product/systvm ... ny%20Jeans

Lastly will be the shoes:
I am going to reuse my Giorgio Brutini's since the style is the same. I will be using my glitter versions again becuase I can't justify owning a pair just for this appearence, that would be wasteful. So yes, I didn't go completely balls to the wall with this variation, lol, you got me!

The pants should be here sometime during week, and if I don't upload pictures, you'll just see the finished incarnations at the con.

Stay Daft my friends.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Some progress WIPS:

ImageDaft Punk TIDAL Jacket WIP by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

ImageDaft Punk TIDAL Jacket WIP by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I actually finished the costumes (sans the boots.) The jackets are just gorgeous, as is Pedro Aloha's just amazingly perfect GM lid. Also shout out to Artyom for getting me a RAM glove kit after I ran out of time to vac form my own.

Per usual I had the excellent opportunity to shoot with Atlanta local Jang Choe. He shot my Grammy costumes last year, and next year, finally, Discovery.

ImageDaft Punk | Beyond TIDAL | Jang Choe by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

And inner embroidery just for fun:

ImageInner details of the TIDAL Daft Punk Jackets by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hey guys,

Long time since I've posted.

Here's a little write up on a Grammy Award I made. I wish I had just made a cast and sent that to chrome first since there are small imperfections, and I am pretty sure I don't want to go through that much smoothing again!

Basically its your simple tried and true formula of sanding and filling. The grammy started off as a 3D print done last minute for C2E2 and the grammaphone was filled in.

Image2016-04-10_08-54-35 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

That certainly won't do! Little did I know the nightmare I was walking into with working with a 3D print on PLA.

Image20160304_203755 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Using a dremel proved really, really frustrating because before it could take any material off, it would melt. It made was should've been a days work, turn into a week's nightmare.

Image20160304_213955 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Now, lets hit the fast forward button! Lots of microlite, lost patience, and primer later.

Image20160307_161447 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

I reached out to Don who has done good work for me in the past. I chalk up the 3 day chrome window to the orange peel. (Why do I always do this at the last minute!?)

ImageLittle build log for my Grammy. 3D print | sculpting/filling | clean up | prime | chrome plating. by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

I need to repaint the base, but it was doable to walk around with:

ImageLittle build log for my Grammy. 3D print | sculpting/filling | clean up | prime | chrome plating. by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Of course it was for my ongoing library of Daft Punk costumes.

ImageGrammy Award Winning Daft Punk at C2E2 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

And here at C2E2 in Chicago:

ImageGrammy Award Winning Daft Punk at C2E2 by [url=https://www.flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Hello all!

Thought I'd check back in to get the pulse of the community. Rearing up to begin Starboy work. Sadly my original RAM Guy gloves I sculpted need to be re-chromed as well as new RAM gloves. Thankfully I have a ton of fabric I silkscreened last year to make some new ones! After seeing the originals in person at Maxfield (bought my plane tickets overnight to make it Sunday, amazing experience) the real ones aren't faring too much better with age. These costumes just aren't made for the type of abuse of cons. Probably why DP doesn't appear all that often! Expensive hobby I tell ya!

I picked up some new RAM jackets that had the wrong sequins but whatever, I really have wanted to do the blacked out look since 2013. From redoing my RAM boots like 4 times over, to other small fixes in the suits I've gotten the closest sans the jackets to replicating the look that I'm happy with. I have the right, square 5MM sequins on the trousers, and still have enough to make the jackets one day... but 1k on jackets before doing something different like Starboy is out of the question. I really dig the Starboy costumes especially after seeing them in person!

Credits:
Chrome | Creations N' Chrome
GM lid | Pedro Aloha
TB lid | Volpin
______

RAM Fabric | TK-9336
GB glove plates | TK-9336
TB gloves plates | Arytom
______

Sequin Jackets | Zara Pour Homme
Black Shirt and Silk Tie | Express Men
Pants | Custom using 5MM sequin chain
Boots | TK-9336
______

Without ado here are some of the images of my RAM suits in 2017~

ImageDaft Punk | RAM | Riverwalk & Nyke Studios by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Some more from C2E2 last year as well. Shot by my friend Anna:

ImageFB_IMG_1493089944587 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1493089910427 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1493089936904 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Candids on the con floor by our resident Darth Maul, aka Ted Ruler:

ImageDaft Punk | Get Lucky | Ted Ruler by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

ImageDaft Punk | Get Lucky | Ted Ruler by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Here are a few more from Dragon Con 2017, shot by another great friend Trent Thornton. I got to borrow RabidIrish himself to wear my TB:

ImageDaft Punk | Get Lucky | Trent Thornton by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

I need to really add more mesh in my visor and do a completely new TB lid. I really want to do the actual jackets, but at 500-700 a pop, (and being back in school) its a project for down the road, like my LYTD jackets. I'm expecting to get a 3D printed RAM TB, they just so, so, darn good.

For the longest time I couldn't post images to this forum for some weird reason on flickr but it feels great to be back!