The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Costumes outside of the Star Wars universe.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: The Daft Trooper - 9336 takes on Daft Punk!

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Sorry guys, I am not updating as much. Trying to just get this Moguai V2/Volpin hand plates out to chrome. Almost finished.

But alas: here is a low res photo from the Harley shoot just that Riverwalk just sent me;

Another Teaser from the Harley-Davidson Shoot by TK9336, on Flickr
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

New RAM suit update:

I am doing the jackets myself...that's right! The old adage "if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself," is true. Thanks to help of fellow 501st'er Trent Thorton (who does a kickass, flawless Bane, Darth Vader and handmade Emperor Ming from Flash Gordon to name a few,) with help of his costuming wife fellow 501st'er Beth (Zam Wesell/Biker Scout/Princess Aura again, to name a few,) have sourced me the perfect sequins and method of constructing the Random Access Memories jackets. Without their wealth of shops, sequins and years making amazing costumes, I would never have found the perfect sequins. A full battle plan didn't fully materialize until I met the 'Real Costuming Company' on Facebook who constructed their jackets in the same vein I was thinking of doing (layered, instead of a fabric on a flat plane). After talking shop I am now just waiting on everything to arrive to start making those awesome, one of a kind jackets. Putting the sequins on there will be akin to putting hair on a Wookiee mesh suit but, oh so worth it!

Silver Schlung Sequins by TK9336, on Flickr

Gold Schlung Sequins by TK9336, on Flickr

Black Schlung Sequins by TK9336, on Flickr

Still plugging away on filling the tricky circuit panel on the Moguai V2 for my buddy. When I make my Discovery GM, I am pressure casting so those stupid pinholes don't appear. They drive me nuts!

I also have a few upcoming photoshoots with my current gear, and my buddy Cam's Volpin lid...I am not at liberty to say much, but they will be cool!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Turns out it will take 80 yards of the strung sequins to make ONE jacket, along with 6 tubes of E6000. My sanity is becoming increasingly disproportional the more accurate I make these suits.

:O

Woah! by TK9336, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

So, I was tempted to do this after the Grammys, lol!

2014-01-26 21.48.28 by TK9336, on Flickr

Also, to get hyped for the Grammys, we did a for fun 'fashion' tribute shoot to the robots. Lots of fun!

Shooting with David Stephens and RiverWalk by TK9336, on Flickr

Untitled by TK9336, on Flickr

Starting my sequin RAM jackets very soon!

The Daft boys killed it! 5/5, so proud of these righteous gentlerobots!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I am apparently a glutton for punishment. Such is the pains we go through to make a perfect replica, no? Either way, I will hate myself once this really gets going.

It begins. The great battle of our time. by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Punk RAM by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Punk RAM by TK9336, on Flickr

NO, I will NOT be making these for people. This will be like putting hair on wookiee meshsuit. Hope to have this done by C2E2 in Chicago (April).

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Life casting my hands to make my RAM gloves in the coming days! I also scanned my vellum divider from the box set (the circuit pattern from the gloves) and had it re-colored (by Justice Fisher.) I am going to screen print it with metallic silver ink on black fabric. Pretty excited that things are beginning to take shape!

I have yet to get the tuxedo and start plastering it with sequins, and redo my shoes...but slowly but surely the wheels are beginning to turn. I also finally found a exacting black shirt for the RAM suits!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Proud to announce I am entering the C2E2 (biggest convention in the Midwest US, located in Chicago) with my Daft Punk Random Access Memories Redux!

Before I delve into that, here's a piece from the 2nd Annual SPS shoot here in IL: HAA Volpin V1 Thomas
SPS Photoshoot 2014 by TK9336, on Flickr

The real reason I am posting is because I have more updates for my Random Access Memories Redux I will be debuting at C2E2 here in my native Chicago in April. This time around, I've redone EVERYTHING. The only thing that isn't changing is the RAM pendants by Sorenzo. Everything else has been reduced to square one. I hope Pedro can get a cast of his lid in time, that will really send this redux sky high in terms of accuracy.

Without further ado:

Shirt and tie:

MUSIC DAFT PUNK ADV19 6 by TK9336, on Flickr

Testing the new RAM shirt and tie. by TK9336, on Flickr

Gloves:

Daft RAM Gloves by TK9336, on Flickr

RAM gloves WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

Scrap of my Daft fabric in natural sunlight. by TK9336, on Flickr

Made some extra... by TK9336, on Flickr

Gloves should be totally done by the end of the month. Found the tux jackets to be converted, now just to save up for them. Progress. Hope to have both jackets done by the end of March. I still need to cast my hands to make my own RAM styled hand plates. I should have some pairs vac formed by the end of March, first week of April. Wearing a pair of hand plates sculpted by someone else has passed muster in the costume world, but making my own with fit much better, and be much more authentic to RAM, and aesthetically pleasing.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I was the first one to make the RAM boots back last August, and I finally nailed it tonight. This was the third, and successful try. Glitter does matter. I will do a walk about tomorrow and still how these hold up. Used different glitter and glue this time, made a world of a difference.

Random Access Memories Boots by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories by TK9336, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

The shoes held up just fine, I will probably tailor the pants so they are a little tighter fitting at the ankle.

I tried doing lifecasts of my hand and didn't so hot. I am ordering new alginate and instead of plaster, I will use Smooth Cast 300Q. So once that arrives I will share photos. Too ashamed of my mistake to share it in my build thread...

Tuxedos arrive Monday, or Tuesday. Excitement is definitely building!

I passed the preliminary cuts for C2E2's "Champions of Cosplay" Costume contest, so if I win anything, I'll make sure my acceptance speech is silent just like the lads!

Also, found this gem while searching Instagram.

Before and After by TK9336, on Flickr

Nothing like finding art of yourself (as Guy-Man!) Pretty cool work by Faruqi Akbar. Kudos to him.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

More progress.

Anthony and Jen decided to redo my RAM gloves, from the screen the physical gloves. Needless to say I am just blown away are awesome these are!

The tuxedo also arrive today:

Glue arrives Friday, and I should finish the first jacket (Guy-Man) by April 5th. I plan to have Thomas finished the week afterwards.

I also ordered more alginate and smooth cast 300Q to cast my hands so I can begin sculpting my hand plates and get them vac-formed ASAP so I can get them chromed BEFORE the 26th.

CRUNCH TIME!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Some more progress as C2E2 looms closer and closer.

I'm totally indebted to Anthony and Jen for their talent and expertise helping me get the RAM gloves finished. Really excited about how these turned out!

I also mocked up my jacket to begin the sequin process.

So now that I have the correct gloves, I needed the correct glove plates! I endeavored to create mine like the originals, by casting my hands and sculpting the plates directly upon them (big thanks for the original build photos, and details on how they were made from a fellow artist who created a pair for the real Daft Punk...it was really helpful!) .Volpin Props also used a similar process to great success which you can see on his blog (which were also helpful!)

None the less, my adventure in my first molding, and casting didn't go so smoothly, using smooth-on products.

I read the instructions using warm water, so like the rookie I am, I used warmer water thinking I could mix it and pour it having plenty of time to transfer the pot to the casting vessel, then form my hand. I was so wrong. The alginate cured and turned into ground beef before I could panic and pour it.

The plaster didn't go so well either. I should've doubled the cure time, but again I am a rookie. All the fingers broke off, and I felt pretty defeated.

Determined to not wash out and resolve to using some other builder's glove plates, I got back on the horse and got a a different casting medium.

Both hands were made, still being a rookie I didn't make them straight up and down. It didn't really bother me though, nor deter from what they were ultimately going to be used for.

Success! Now with both hands cast, I began my quest to begin mapping out the plates.

Unlike any other build I've across I decided to trace the plate silhouettes on my hands. I have never "blueprinted" a build before, kinda just going at it. This helped TREMENDOUSLY. I used about a dozen reference images to get the desired sizes, and shapes. I then traced it over with sharpie. I second guessed myself throughout the whole process, and it took much longer than I thought drawing rectangles would've taken!

This was also my first free form sculpt, and the going was slow getting the feel for the apoxie sculpt and smoothing the shapes of the plates.

While this will still require a good dosage of sanding, I am pretty happy with my first attempt at sculpting.

So from here, I will sand them entirely, and cut the hand apart so it can be vac formed this Saturday. Finally happening! For someone whose "prop" experience has been 100% of taking someone's sculpt, or kit and finishing it to my liking. This was a awesome feeling to create it and do it myself!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I'll let the cat out of the bag, I am currently numbing my mind this with this piece of work. While I can see the final jacket being nothing short of stunning...I will need a electric shock to keep me alive from the amazing amount of boredom required to complete this. What you're looking at is the result of 8 or so hours of work.

I am also getting this puppies ready for my first vac forming this Saturday.

Look for another update Sunday!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Sorry for a lack of updates, as C2E2 is now days away I am just hitting the panic button in a scramble to get the jacket finished. I finished the gloves a few days ago. Finally, something I created from start to finish. I cannot thank Shawn Mika enough for his expertise on vacuum forming and how to redo it to make a kit super easy, and perfect. Perfect pulls everytime. Alas, I didn't need it to be easy for myself since I designed it, but I think they look pretty good.

ImageRAM Glove WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

Also scored some awesome grill for the slit in Thomas' helmet.
ImageThomas got a grill, yo! by TK9336, on Flickr

My shoes are ready!
ImageDaft Shoes by TK9336, on Flickr

I won't update until after C2E2. Be good.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

The dust has finally settled on C2E2 for me. As I am going to another convention called Acen this week I thought I would post some pictures and write ups.

First up, RAM gloves. From concept to finish was all me. I also have the honor of the being the first to replicate these and for once...they came out brilliantly THE FIRST TIME!

ImageRAM Gloves by TK9336, on Flickr

I didn't place at the competition even in my own category (I blame my unfinished jacket.) I will never glue sequins on a jacket EVER AGAIN. I will however make it a pet project for Dragon*Con to sew it and do it right.

From the competition Champions of Cosplay:

ImageIMG_11359890730254 by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageIMG_11380911451690 by TK9336, on Flickr

I also debuted some new RAM versions: Red Carpet Daft, and Vogue Daft. I researched a close match to YSL's tuxedos Daft wears. The only thing I have to do now is get it tailored to me and it will be perfect.

ImageC2E2 2014 by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageDaft Grammys by TK9336, on Flickr

VOGUE:

ImageIMG_68478490808227 by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageIMG_29508282059469 by TK9336, on Flickr

Thanks to my good friends at ANOVOS for making this happen on Sunday evening:

I will be pulling RAM handplates by next month hopefully. I just need to make the mold and buck to make vac forming a cinch! Once that happens I should get another silk screening session in to make glove fabric so you can do what I did. I made them for myself (5'7" like Guy) so if you're between 5'7" and 6'1" these will look right on you if you're doing either Guy or Thomas. They made one set, notice how they are big on Guy and smaller on Thomas? Same deal here.

I will listing some of my current Daft gear on Etsy soon so I can afford finishing my Discovery gear for Dragon*Con. Depending on how that goes and if there is interest I may make copies to sell in a small run.

Stay Daft my friends.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

I also got a chance to wear the costumes again for a local anime con called ACEN. Pictures to follow. But first, I made a How To Guide on Tumblr for making the gloves. I know I covered it really well here, but here is a stand alone guide for those interested:

http://tk9336.tumblr.com/post/868179846 ... p-guide-by

Check it out!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

My Discovery build took it's first big step today:

ImageTK9336's Guy-Man Discovery Jacket by TK9336, on Flickr

I am so extremely excited to be finally doing this. I have avoided doing Discovery until I felt competent I could do it right. I actually have the entire soft costume for Discovery Guy-Man, done, in hand...and it's exactly the head start I need to get this done before Dragon*Con in 78 days. The ever awesome Agent Raybans got me even more hyped up with a sneak of what it will look with some lights.

So here's what I am looking at doing:

The most important part: the lights. I am going to attempt a full canon display. I already have the side bars done (need to build a new chassis to fit inside a Mogaui V2). I have the materials needed to do the chin equalizers and cannot thank Slinkytips enough for holding my hand through it. I'm not done yet, but his awesome diagrams make this much more approachable for a electronic illiterate like me! I am getting Alex's Guy EKG's PCB's and putting diffused 3mm green LED's in it. I built my prototype EKG plastic overlays and green film on my HAA Guy-Man and going to do the same again. I really want to do the center array, the success, intergrity and see up wow factor of the costume centers literally on the middle matrix. That is the part of the build I am most concerned about because I don't have a freakin' clue how to approach it. If all fails, I will use the green LED's for the eyes and run with that.

That said, I am getting a V2 Mogaui Guy. While the pucks will be enlarged and the back choped off. I will also add that massive back bar you see worn with the Discovery gear. Hopefully that will get here soon.

I am making the backpacks out of foam, that will then be vac formed. I haven't decided to take the foam master buck and make it out of MDF board so vac pulls are extremely sharp. I think I might get away with just doing it in foam. We'll cross that bridge in less than a month from now.

I am not going to sculpt the rubber gloves. I am instead going to make the Discovery plates, and just wear them on top of fabric gloves. I just don't have the budget to sculpt, mold, and cast them. Maybe one day, but sure as hell not in the next 78.

On that note, I am pushing the gauntlets back for after Dragon*Con too. Just too expensive to make and chrome.

In regards to Thomas, I am going to use Volpins V2 Thomas. It has all the right shapes, and fits some one 6'1" to 6'3" well. My Thomas at D*C is barely 6'3". I will be doing all the work on that as well.

For his LED's I am going to make the side bars, and equalizers. Again, I have all the LED's I need, just lacking expertise to put it together. For his center matrix I am going to leave that to my buddy Cam (who was my Thomas at D*C last year.) He almost finished one in time but we just couldn't cram 48 hours of work into a all nighter. I hope Volpin has some of his array holders left, and I then plan on it being drilled out for 3mm red diffused LED's instead of the 5mm everyone else uses. 3mm diffused is canon, and is responsible for the soft glow of his animations as opposed to the much brighter, and slightly harsher white straw hat 5mm LED's.

With regards to his soft costume parts, a suit will probably have to be made considering how wonky it is. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a good look alike if it's cheap. Otherwise yay, more custom commissions! :P

His backpack and gloves will be off my sculpt, and I will just vac form extras to accomplish this, simple. I haven't yet decided if I will do a run of backpacks and Discovery plates. If I do, it will only be one run people have to pay half to reserve a spot...I'm broke!

Other than that...GAME ON! Good luck with your Dragon*Con costume builds, and never tell us the odds!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Sorry. Been busy working two jobs, and trying to find energy to work on this after 14-15 days.

Here are the shoes.

ImageDaft Punk Shoes by TK9336, on Flickr

I didn't take tutorial pictures, but the slippers are from Prada and were originally 900.00. These had a factory defect of course, and I got them straight from Italy. I know some where some old cobbler is crying because I painted them fire engine red!

Backpacks are gonna be vac formed in the next two weeks. I am going to give these gloves the good ol' college try. Woohoo life casting. I have never worked with latex, but I received some great advice from Lee Hurly from HurlyFX who is making his Groot out of latex. It blows the top off anything I have made.

Volpin is going to drill out a sub matrix for me according to the 3mm patter Slink made based on the originals. Also getting one his lids. Still the best TB out there!

I got a Mogaui HAA V2 GM that I am going to mod into a Discovery lid. Bigger pucks, and the back bar. I am aiming to the Japan Interview version, which stayed very consistent in the beginning and even into the transition/hybrid gear.

I already have a bass/amp, and vocoder picked out. My pops has a Zendrum and we looked into the possibility of loading it up with Daft samples, have a wireless transceiver so I could play daft music live, coming from my backpack.

http://www.zendrum.com/index.php?route= ... duct_id=84

My pops barely uses it, and it just looks...daft to me. The fact I can carry a instrument, and ACTUALLY play it while IN FULL COSTUME, tingles me all over. Updates will be sporadic...I'm sorry. Starting to feel the pinch of working two jobs, and D*C being in under two months.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Just a few updates... I am way too busy to keep this regularly posted until after Dragon*Con. But here's some stuff I did today.

ImageDaft Punk Discovery Costumes in the daylight by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageThomas Discovery Suit by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageSoft Discovery suits by TK9336, on Flickr

Soft costumes are DONE.

I also did the scrim for non lighted Daft helmets. Here is my take on a grey motorcycle helmet that was normally see through, not anymore. Taken in direct sunlight.

ImageDaft Punk - Behind The Helmets - Switch On The Night by Olmeca Tequila & Mixmag.avi_000150620 by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageScrim inner by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageSee through motorcylce with scrim added by TK9336, on Flickr

ImageSee through motorcylce with scrim added by TK9336, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

If you know me, you know I like things ridiculously accurate. To point where you put the original and a replica next to each other you can barely make out the difference. Harrison Krix of Volpin Props was great and gave this build a much needed speed boost by providing a sub visor. I had him drill it 3mm, accurate to the original by Alterian Inc. My buddy Cam Farris is being my life saver and tackling the array. He has done one in the past, and this one is much more unique than your standard 8x8. All of our boards for it are custom made. Of course, expect that we are using 3mm diffused LED's, not directional ones. The very same used on the real ones. I look forward to his progress with this. I need to get my ass in gear and crank out a sub visor for my Guy-Man ASAP!

ImageCanon accurate Thomas Array WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Update. No big write up, no time for it. Just a ton of pictures. I took Moguai's GM HAA V2 cast, and modded the hell out of it to make it a Discovery Guy Man lid. The total time it took to complete the conversion of the HAA to Discovery and Volpin's Thomas V5 Thomas took roughly a week and half on and off. At Acme Inc, Shawn Mica lathed a plastic disk insert for the double rings Discovery Thomas sports. It came out cleanly and man, I am cutting it close.

ImageDiscovery Helmets WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

I also created the Discovery backpacks. I had them vac formed by KW Designs who added expanding foam and supports to inside the box I made. Having never done a prop of this size to vac formed, I am very grateful for his expert help and pulling them for me. Jon Farmer also 3D modeled my foam pucks and 3D printed them for a extremely sharp pull. I am very grateful to have had them make this dream a reality.

ImageDiscovery Backpack WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

The remainder of this week will see a Thomas commission go out to go chrome, finish a Thomas Grammy helmet, and finish the LED chassis for Guy-Man.