Moderator: Garrison Officers

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 8968

IL - Chicago - AstonRep Theatre Strikes Back 8/20/11

Post by Fleetfang »

On August 20th, 2011, TK-8968 traveled to the corner of Milwaukee and Hermitage in Chicago to support the AstonRep Theatre Company's annual fundraiser. This year, they conducted a staged reading of Leigh Brackett's original script to The Empire Strikes Back. Robert Tobin, the managing director of AstonRep (and a huge Star Wars fan himself), had sought out members of the 501st Midwest Garrison as potentially interested audience members. Instead, Fleetfang offered his services with an appearance in armor to help raise the profile of the event.

TK-8968 suited up and spent about an hour outside the door to the theater space, waving to cars on the busy street and stopping for photos with a number of passers-by. Two in particular did not stop for a photo, however, but instead slapped 8968 on the shoulder as they ran past, one yelling "The Empire sucks! Rebels rule!" while boldly displaying a tattoo of the Rebel Bird. Were it not for the more important duty of the mission at hand, Fleetfang would certainly have run these dangerous terrorists down and brought them in for "questioning."

When the reading began, 8968 took up a standing position at the back of the audience. The staged reading took place at a table in front of a projection screen, where the company took advantage of conceptual paintings, film stills, and original artwork to illustrate the action being read. Sound effects and music also helped immerse the audience in the Star Wars universe. The performance itself was a very campy take on material that - in all honesty - does not stand up well under scrutiny. In my honest opinion, it really was the only way to play the very, very rough script for a reading like this. Still, it all made for interesting entertainment, getting a glimpse at a Star Wars that might have been...

By the end of the reading, Luke Skywalker had sworn the oath of the Jedi, faced Darth Vader and come within one action of hatred of turning to the Dark Side. Han Solo was heading off on his journey to meet with his father, the King of Corellia. Leia had made her choice to be with Solo, after consummating their love on the Falcon. The traitorous clone Lando Calrissian had lost his father, but had found a new family with the Rebellion. Mench, the impish Jedi Master on The Bog Planet, awaited Luke's return. And Darth Vader himself had returned to his Castle to plot his next villainous plan!

The AstonRep company took some pictures on the stage and graciously allowed this lowly stormtrooper to join them for a cast photo. And afterwords, they invited him to hang out, have a drink, and talk Star Wars and politics. :) All-in-all, it was a great night of theatrical fun, and a great night of Star Wars!

AstonRep Theater Company Fundraiser on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdtxpju-Y2I

TK-8968 with director Robert Tobin

Your Empire Needs YOU!

The AstonRep cast of The Empire Strikes Back, "buckets-off!"

TOD:
TK-8968 Brian T.
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

crix
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4913

Re: IL - Chicago - AstonRep Theatre Strikes Back 8/20/11

Post by crix »

good job Brian!

on TOD already

beans
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 4541

Post by beans »

Looks like a fun night, Brian! Love the youtube video. Nice job!! Would have been neat to hear the script read.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

I am so glad that you were able to provide support for them Brian...

:thumbs:

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

crix wrote:good job Brian!

on TOD already
Yep! :D I try to keep my own stuff up to date to save you the bother. ;)

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

Schph Gochi wrote:I am so glad that you were able to provide support for them Brian...

:thumbs:

Thanks, Phyllis. Me, too! Robert was very cool and even sought us out in person at Wizard, so I really wanted to be able to deliver for them.
:D

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3446

Post by TK3446 »

Good job bro! :thumbs:
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446