Moderator: Garrison Officers

Coin
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 12108

IL-Joliet/60431 - Joliet library Star Wars Day V- Sat 6/7/14

Post by Coin »

First I would like to say I know Roger Burns of the Joliet Public Library and Jody McQuarters without both of you none of this would be possible!!

But also they would like to thank each and every one of those volunteers that made this event what it has become, every bit counts!!

This Joliet Star Wars Day started months ago with promos and events meant to drive its awareness

on March the 1st the Midwest garrison and the Nar Shadaa base got together to film a promo for the day
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Epib9xKv8 ... e=youtu.be

On May the 4th Steve Palanica came to the Library to promote our upcoming event by drawing individual pieces of art for free for any child that opened a library card that day or checked out a star wars related book to take home to read.

Then came the Scavenger hunt on May 17th..... at the Museum the doors were opened up to any one wanting to help Lord Vader find his lost collection of original 1976 release action figures, cunningly stolen and hidden by a rogue Jawa

Then the Joliet Slammers Game on June 6th to Kick off our Star Wars weekend this event was covered by our Rebel Legion Friends at the Nar Shadaa Base and our out of state Mos Espa and Dantooine Base a big thank you to them

Then it was the day..............

All great things have small beginnings, the first Joliet Public Library Star Wars Day was 2010 with 12 costumes and just over 600 people.......each year since the event has grown to proportions that could never have been imagined 5 years ago.

This year The morning started with Star Wars costumers driving in from 5 states, and 4 costuming clubs, by 11:00 a.m. 110 costumed characters stood in from of the Joliet Historical Museum (Rebel Base) ready to be led down the street to the cheering crowd and the Joliet American Legion Marching Band right up to the

front door of the Joliet Public Library (501st Imperial Base) (Mandolorian Mercs)

this event is more than just a Library card drive. This event at its heart promotes Literacy, community and Fires the imagination! 7000 people walked the green Wampa foot prints this sunny saturday afternoon, all in the name of a good story.

a story that began in a Galaxy Far Far Away and led us all to this

Even Congressman Bill Foster took time to pose with the Sandpeople, and afterword had some nice things to say about our Sandy friends

then the games began
trash compactor
our artists
I will be adding mare as Jody gets it to me but a giant thank you to every one
you crossed state lines to Troop without borders, we are here for Star Wars, where we come from doesn't matter

at last count we had more than 110 costumes out Saturday
here is a beginging list of who needs to be thanked
7938JASON ROTUNDA WI
12079 PETER MURFI MWG
4813 GEOFF PFEIFFER WI
5596 BRIAN ROGERS WI
AMY WEBB MWG
HANDLER JESSICA MURFIN MWG
32380 JIM BRACE BLOODFIN/Mos Espa Base
HANDLER SUSIE BRACE BLOODFIN
12155 DAVE KLIMA MWG
6773 SCOTT GOEBEL WI/NSB
6443 JODY MCQUARTERS MWG/NSB
412 ARTURO DELGATO MWG
285 JAVIER ESQUEDA MWG
3753 SHAWN MIKA MWG
VICTOR FIGUEROA NSB
TYLER BIEDA NEXU
JASON STOXEN NSB
JUSTIN SMITH NSB
41551 ERIC WERNER MWG
7844 KRISTEN AVARA MWG
373 SCOTT HOLDER MWG
AUSTIN BUCKHOLTER DANTOOINE BASE
8294 RICH HEFFERNAN 70TH/DANTOOINE BASE
21337 TIM PARK 70TH
SUPPORT PAUL BOERNEMANN NEXU
8596 MATT FRYSZTAK MWG/NSB
3620 RUDY GRASHA MWG/PROPS
BRANDON GRASHA
KATHY GRASHA
KEVIN GRASHA
9456 DONELLA ABELL BLOODFIN/MOS ESPA BASE
MARK ABELL Galactic Academy
AARON ABELL Galactic Academy
21580 BRENT ABELL BLOODFIN/MOS ESPA BASE
50488 TYLER MEIER MWG/NSB
9336 KEVIN SKEIRA MWG/NSB
2875 AARON BRIGMAN MWG
JEDI PAT PHINNEY NSB
4584 MARK RYNER NORTHERN DARKNESS/Mos Espa Base
TIM JARMUSZ NSB
plus two Jedi Younglings
7366 CHRIS HANSON WI
21273 CHRIS BUETSCH MWG
5435 TOM HOBSON WI/NSB
9965 CHIP CHILDRESS MWG
7696 JAMES R NOLAND MWG
1692 KENT HEATH MWG
ADAM HERRY NEXU
KATI RIED NEXU
10040 PATRIC KLEHR MWG//NSB
9989 KATHY VANBEUNINGEN MWG/NSB
71613 DYLAN VANHORN MWG/NSB
826 DAMIEN JORGENSEN MWG
81470 DARCY JORGENSEN MWG
9990 VINCE NEWKIRK MWG
4265 MARK BERRY MWG/NEXU
0101 AIMEE JORGENSEN MWG
GABBY JORGENSEN
ALI JORGENSEN
HAWK WORLEY
12108 KIM WORLEY MWG/NSB
CIC-0816 FAITH WORLEY GA
82371 SHANNON BUETSCH MWG
HAYDEN TRENT
AVERY TRENT
RILEY BUETSCH
FRED SEEMENN NEXU
VINCENT SEEMANN NEXU
DAWN SEEMANN NEXU
4186 ROLAND BATROUNI MWG/NSB
9988 QUINCY NEWKIRK MWG
ANA GOLEZ PENDING MWG
51367 MARC CASEY MWG/NSB/NEXU
JOSIE CASEY GA
6712 RICK DEVINE MWG
93639 WENDY TRIPPLER WI
13081 CRYSTAL NIENOW WI
9404 JUSTIN NIENOW WI
12610 MELLISA HEIMERL WI
7863 ADAM PETERSEN WI/NSB
19800 JOSE MATA MWG
LUIS MARQUEZ SPACEBALLS
4724 ANDREW CARVER WI/NSB
3736 BRIANNA PETERSEN WI
1876 THOMAS SPANOS 501/NSB
CSL-0642 WILLIAM KOON GA
2079 ANDREW MARSH MWG/NSB
6216 DESTINY FROSTE MWG/NSB reserve
8238 JESSICA HUDAK MWG/NSB
8148 MATT MCDONALD MWG
118 TOM SCHAEFFER MWG/NSB
KATHY SCHAEFFER
7345 STEVE MAMMEN MWG/NSB
7834 ANNA ROSSMAN GLG
6444 JEFF WADE MWG
3127 CHERYL WHITAKER MWG/NSB
JOE ASPI
27823 THOMAS BICKEL MWG
4541 ADRIANE BEAN MWG
9295 ROBERT HAMILTON MWG/NSB
9521 STEVE DEMBO MWG
26513 ERIK THOMPSON MWG
9295 ROBERT LUCAS PHOTO/MWG/NSB
4838 JANINE JENDER PHOTO/MWG/NSB
10136 STEVE WELNICKE MWG/NSB
761 JIM LAWVER MWG/NSB
DEB BITNER PENDING MWG
3193 MIKE OLSON MWG//NSB
DEIDRA CULP NSB
8114 JIM NORMAN MWG/NSB
4913 THOMAS (CRIX) TURNER MWG/NSB
7898 CARRIE DEE O'CONNOR MWG
8968 BRIAN TROYAN MWG/NSB
5206 ROBERT REDDEN MWG/NSB
SAMANTHA SCHOLL NSB
MIKE MATTHEWS PENDING MWG
52809 PATRICK LEWIS MWG/NSB
XANDER LEWIS GA
STACY LEWIS PHOTO
KEN KOOI ACME
NICK KLEIN JEDI NSB
JOHN HARTLEY NSB
ELENI HARTLEY NSB
plus two Jedi younglings
ANDREW MARSH NSB
PHYLLIS SCHULTE NSB/MWG
DZ-12108
Kim Worley

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Re: IL-Joliet/60431 - Joliet library Star Wars Day V- Sat 6/

Post by Schph Gochi »

I think there were a couple opportunities for charity at this...

Do you know how much Big Brothers/Big Sisters made on the sale of Mikey Babinski's artwork?

Also..
there were some additional donations when paying for the after party that were earmarked for the Joliet Historical Musuem's Rte 30 marker...
do you have that total?

Nightshifter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6443

Post by Nightshifter »

Kim thank you first hand for coming to the aid of me and my dead phone and putting up tje mission report. Thats helps so much. I felt bad it was taking for ever to get back on line.

As for the totals of big brother big sisters and the artist Mike Babinski did. The rep will have that for me when she gets back in town at the end of the week. Please stay tuned.

As for the event.
I have enjoyed being part of this event from day one when Roger first posted it in 2010 that the joliet library wanted to put a star wars day event together. Never would I or anyone else have for seen this here today.
There are so many to thank but I can tell you Roger has always put us The 501st and Rebel legion at the top of that list. He has always said it is you and your friends that make this event what it is. With out you guys its just another lite library event. You and the legions with your costumes are the ones the kids smile at. Your the ones that make the kids and families come to the library.
I have always thanked Roger on behalf of both legions and as simple as I could say it. Roger we do it because we love it. To know that we in costume may have gotten a child back in tjat library to pick up a book, check one out and take it home to read. Then we know we have done good.

The artist involved. Steve Palaneica, Dave Dorman, Jim Tampa, and Mike Binski have all now put their touch on this event. I always tell families to take the time to look though artist gallery. We have four different artist there and to have to me four different kinds of artist at the same place . Well then it is a real treat. All bring so much to this event and I am happy they enjoy their time there as well.

The vendors that sell the new and vintage star wars toys get a big thanks for being there. I have heard one of them tell me how all day long they will see parents both fathers and mothers walk up and look at the old star wars toys and for a moment get lost in a memory.
They will look down at their little kickstand tell them how they had this very star wars toy when they were a child their age. Most would not even think twice but buy it and walk off with their family into the event. He said for a few minutes they were lost in a happy time in there life when they were lost playing star wars and nothing else mattered.

The RT66 joliet area historical museum for all their help with so much . From use of their offices for planning meetings to the may 175th star wars day scavengers hunt game , everything they did to support the big event to even the roof top after party. They have always been 110% helpful and making sure we are being taken care of. Their new director who saw the event for the first time this year was rendered speechless lol. They had a person with a head counter at the door all day from start till four pm when he stopped. 4,076 was the number he had at the end of the day.
The American Legion band added so much to this event and I think brought it to another level. I thought maybe 10 to 11 band members would show up. Well I was was wrong in a BIG way. They showed up in a Hugh numbered group. They were very nice to work with and a great addition to tjis event. I hope they come back next year.

Roger at the joliet library and staff did a great job taking care of things. This year they had most of in down by the numbers and it flowed pretty good . They pulled together close to game day. Many volunteers wanted to be part of all the fun and they did good promoting their star wars book collection.

The RT66diner on Clinton street did good again and went above and beyond with their part in the event. With pictures and posters . Some of even us on the wall . To making fresh BLUE MILK for the day. Holy smoke was that good. A good number of us showed up around seven am for a great breakfast to kick off the day. It was nice to see so many show up and listen to everyone being pumped up for swd5 this year.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

This was indeed one incredible event! There were so many happy kids and families there this year and so many new faces from everywhere. I met a gentleman with his son who went through the trouble of renting a car to drive out specifically for this event from Chicago because he saw the booth at C2E2 and wanted to bring his son out to it. INCREDIBLE! And people came from different STATES to this too! I was in awe. I hope this was shared with Mary Franklin for Star Wars Insider and that this event continues to grow. Who knows? Perhaps one year even George Lucas may make an appearance (after all, he considers Chicago his second home)! Thank you Jody!!!

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

You might want to ask Kathy VanB if she would send this to Mary Franklin..
she does have an "in" you know..

:lol:

and

Jody...
your post was here twice...
I deleted your duplicate..

:wink:

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

This mission report is going to be on the 501stCast. They're recording tonight. Did we ever get totals for the money raised for Big Brothers Big Sisters?
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Runnin'6712
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 6712

Post by Runnin'6712 »

ToD updated. What a fantastic event this has turned into! :thumbs:
As for the ToD, if I missed anyone please PM me. Also, I included the costumes worn for some that I am 99.9% sure of but I left a lot blank because I know many of you have multiples'. If you want them added just let me know.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Schph Gochi »

yes...still waiting for donation $$
not only for Big Brothers/Big Sisters
but also
any overage that was to go to the Museum from the after party...
I know of $30.00 for the Museum for sure...

:wink: