Moderator: Garrison Officers

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9815

Outer Rim Garrison Trooper to Stair Climb the Willis Tower

Post by jediyves »

Greetings boys and girls of the Midwest Garrison!

This is Yves, Outer Rim Garrison, TD9815 of North Vancouver, BC, Canada reporting in.

I've had all summer to think about this, and I finally made the ultimate decision:
I'm going to come to Chicago to Stair Climb the Willis Tower in my Sandtrooper armour this November.

After four years of stair climbing in Vancouver, LA and Seattle, I'm finally going to challenge myself to take on a Landmark building with 100+ floors!
( I'm assuming the Willis Tower is still the tallest tower in North America by architectural standards ? )

Me racing to the 48th floor in Vancouver

The obstacle course this year that leads to the stair climb:

As of this year, I have a stair climb strike team, Known as Team 501st. Composed of four of the Outer Rim Garrison members:

I've been training all summer, and even more trail running / stair climbing on Grouse Mountain in the next couple of weeks.

The Skyrise Chicago climb is a charitable event hosted by the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, and like every other stair climb I participate , there is fundraiser to it. After all, nothing beats pushing yourself to the limit and giving back to the local community.

Skyrise Chicago, November 6th 2016
http://ric.convio.net/site/TR/SkyRise/G ... fr_id=1130

The event organizer and I have been emailing back and forth, and I have been cleared to stair climb in my full TD gear , minus the fieldpack. ( Most stair climb events won't allow backpacks or fanny packs.)

I don't know if anyone wants to join me on the stair climb in Armour, but I will be spending time in Chicago between November 5th - 7th. The Climb is on November 6th, 2 days after my birthday!!! I would love to meet up with some of you lovely Illinois members for a drink and/or a bite!

And to the CO, XO and GECs, let me know if you want me to turn this in to an actual 501st event. Possible joint ORG and MG mission ? I will email the organizers.

Smuah Gunnery
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 80870

Re: Outer Rim Garrison Trooper to Stair Climb the Willis Tow

Post by Smuah Gunnery »

Welcome!

I don't think that I am in any condition to join you on the stair climb, but as far as eat and drink goes, that may be a possibility!

:thumbs:
Commence Primary Ignition

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Ambitious, Yves! :shock:
Thanks for checking in with us before your visit!
Hitman has done a few skyscraper stair climbs in past years. I'll send him over here to see if he's got a run in him!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

That's really awesome.

That weekend is also one of our bigger recurring events, LEGOLAND Discovery Center Star Wars Weekend, in Schaumburg (not too far from the city). If you guys have transportation we'd love to have you out.

viewforum.php?f=219
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

hitman
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8596

Post by hitman »

I have done the Fight for Air Climb last year with only my chest/back & arms in full armor. I was about to sign up for it again in March. If it is possible would you like a climbing partner?

Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

That's most impressive, Yves, and really awesome. Like was mentioned above, we have a large 4-day event in the western suburb of Chicago, Schaumburg. It would be great if you could join us at that event, to meet up, and have some beverages afterward. Though, because of that, I don't know what the turn-out would be for the climb itself. Perhaps some of our downtown Chicago members, who aren't able to make the trek out to the suburbs might be able to be there to support you...it's definitely a great cause. RIC is a great hospital, and helps so many. It wouldn't surprise me if some of my fellow firefighters are registered to do the event themselves, as they partake in the similar "Hustle Up the Hancock" event.

But would definitely be awesome to have a chance to meet up.

Are you going to Ottawa for Canada Day next year, by chance? I have friends who live there, and my wife and I are planning on going. I've been in contact with Capital City Garrison, and hopefully we can troop with those guys sometime during the festivities there. ;)
We need no longer fear the banana.

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

iam8114 wrote:That's really awesome.

That weekend is also one of our bigger recurring events, LEGOLAND Discovery Center Star Wars Weekend, in Schaumburg (not too far from the city). If you guys have transportation we'd love to have you out.

viewforum.php?f=219

I'm likely going to spend the weekend in Chicago area using Uber or taking public transport. I'm very use to moving around big cities with my armour tote. I might be able to attend the Legoland event the day before. At the moment , I don't have the schedule of the climb event, but from most stair climb events I've been to, likely they will start the elite climbers bright and early in the morning, then the individual climbers, followed by fight fighters and the very casual family ones. I'm just hoping to be out of gear, out of the event by 2pm. Definitely would love to meet up with everyone after 4pm for grubs.

hitman wrote:I have done the Fight for Air Climb last year with only my chest/back & arms in full armor. I was about to sign up for it again in March. If it is possible would you like a climbing partner?

Hitman! got your PM. Let's talk about teaming up for the climb!

Avatar190 wrote:That's most impressive, Yves, and really awesome. Like was mentioned above, we have a large 4-day event in the western suburb of Chicago, Schaumburg. It would be great if you could join us at that event, to meet up, and have some beverages afterward. Though, because of that, I don't know what the turn-out would be for the climb itself. Perhaps some of our downtown Chicago members, who aren't able to make the trek out to the suburbs might be able to be there to support you...it's definitely a great cause. RIC is a great hospital, and helps so many. It wouldn't surprise me if some of my fellow firefighters are registered to do the event themselves, as they partake in the similar "Hustle Up the Hancock" event.

But would definitely be awesome to have a chance to meet up.

Are you going to Ottawa for Canada Day next year, by chance? I have friends who live there, and my wife and I are planning on going. I've been in contact with Capital City Garrison, and hopefully we can troop with those guys sometime during the festivities there. ;)
To be honest, I am use to being the only trooper climbing. If no one comes out, that's cool with me. Seeing Hitman is eager to climb, that to me is already better than just a Solo trooper. As mentioned above in 8114's post, I will come out to at least one of the Legoland events when I am in Chicago. Some one has to hold on to my wallet, because I will have no self control when it comes to purchase Star Wars Lego....... 8)

riverstormtrooper
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 71709

Post by riverstormtrooper »

Great job most impressive
Dustin Ebers
FISD TK 71709

I love wearing my bucket, it keeps the gray hairs hidden!

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

As I was just saying to Jediyves I've goot good news and bad news.

The good news is I met my $150 goal by the Oct 1st deadline for mailed packets.

The bad news is sometime last week I did something to aggravate my knee I sprained earlier this year. No matter what I WILL climb the Sears Tower!!

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

Hitman, you'll take all the time you need to get the time.
I am registered under the Elite group. Which means my climb is timed and recorded in to the World Tower Running Association.

Just purchased my flight the other day. Flying in to Chicago O'Hare International on Friday November 4th at 6:45AM, flying out on Monday November 7th at 7:00PM.
Still looking for accommodation on Airbnb, but I'll likely be staying near a train station or main public transit route.

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

Last edited by jediyves on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

Love it!

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

T-minus 7 days, and I fly in!
Flight is booked, staying in the Pilsen area.
And I am also going to attend the Legoland troop on Saturday. Still trying to figure out how I am going out there.

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

I am getting nervous but let's do this!!

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

Hey Peeps,

So I am going to land in Chicago on Friday 7am, check in to my Airbnb apartment around 10am. Going to troop Legoland on Saturday. Stair Climb Sunday morning. For Monday, I don't fly out until 6pm.

Would anyone like to meet up for a beer ? A good recommendation for the craft beer scene in Chicago ?

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

Landed in O'Hare this morning at 0630.
My phone number is 604 679 5955, got US roaming.

jediyves
501st Member
501st Member

Post by jediyves »

So the host emailed me last minute saying no Go Pro or helmet cameras for the climb. They also emailed saying costume is now NOT allowed in the climb.....because it is " Not in the spirit of Skyrise Chicago."

So with no armour on and Matt still wearing his Go Pro, we climbed like any other civilians to the103rd floor:
Matt's time 1:06:52
Yves' time 19:17

501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

Congrats Yves and Matt, that's awesome. And was great meeting you too, thanks for joining us at Legoland (and The Beer Market)!
We need no longer fear the banana.