ROTJ Boba Fett WIP

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 21273

ROTJ Boba Fett WIP

Post by toolguy301 »

Well have to say Boba Fett is a tough costume to finish & it has been a long road & it seems to keep dragging on. Part of the reason is I took the hard road & have gone with a complete scratch build on all of the fabbed parts.

I have had some requested to post some pics & curious to see if there is any input from the group.

Complete WIP threads have been posted on TDH & TBHG sites.

My goal in starting this, other than being a big Boba Fett fan, was I wanted to make everything from the ground up & make it as accurate as possible within my means as a personal challenge to myself. I have done things somewhat different in the way of construction than what I have seen in the past as far as scratch builds go. Here is the run down of where I am at current.

Helmet & Range Finder were both made using a pepakura file (Skip) & did some modifications using WOF & Raf's templates. I have layered the cardstock shell with architectural cardboard to make it rigid and have used smooth cast to tie it all together. I am still in the prep phase at this time. I purchased a real Borden connector to put on the right cheek. I am also working on a LED set up for the range finder which is in the conception stage.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Made up the Casio MQ-1 circuit board that goes in the back of the helmet. Disassembled some old electronics laying around. The couple of different diodes & used bell wire. The main chip was 2 chips from a 56k modem combined together & the other smaller chip I glued a small capacitor to it. Mounted this all on a sintra piece. Lots of detail for something you see very little of but have to have the detail.

ImageImage

I came up with a way to make the 2 dental file pieces to fit into the lower 2 key slots in the back of the helmet. I found a volume know that had a spline that was close in diameter & used epoxy putty to mold the pieces. Did some hand filing to get the groove into it. Used epoxy to glue attach them to the helmet.

ImageImage

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/comp ... job-48623/

Jetpack was started with a couple of different pepakura files (skip & Soba). I also used WOF templates with some mods here and there. Similar construction as stated above.
ImageImageImageImage

I made the beacon & the stabilizer both from scratch. The beacon is a 3/4 inch copper tube that I did some black smithing on. The stabilizer was made from a pen, micrometer thimble, & some architectural cardboard.

The "piano keys" as they call them around the top of the pack in the center were made with pepakura file that I drew up in cad based on reference photos. Took the card stock shell & filled that with putty then coated with smooth cast. The backing & shelf areas that these mount to were made with architectural cardboard.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/p...jetpack-47919/

Gauntlet was started with pepakura as file (Skip). I used WOF templates to create a 3D model of the rocket & made a pep file from it. I made the MQ-1 keyboard from scratch using the buttons from 2 watch calculators. I made the darts from ink pens & paper clips. I made the hose fittings on the right gauntlet from air fittings that I soldered brake line fittings to. I did some grinding on them to make them look accurate.

ImageImageImageImageImage

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/f...ett-wip-46463/

Armor was made with a couple of different methods. I can't remember when but a number of years ago prior to really getting the word that you need to stay away from ebay. I bought some sintra armor there. Wasn't very good but I am working on it to make it work for me. I decided to use the chest, ab, shoulders,cod piece & back belt plate. I opted not to use the knees, collar, & back armor. The pieces that I reworked I used a heat gun to reshape them to fit me. In doing so I rounded the edges to help give depth and not make them look flat. Also used the heat gun to put in the dents & damage.
The collar & back armor were made using pepakura. I found a pep file (Prince) & re-modelled it to make it more accurate by adding the side sections. Also similar process as above. I did go thicker on these 2 items in making them 3/16 inch thick.

ImageImageImageImage

Made the knees armor using pepakura. I drew them up in cad creating a 3D model using WOF templates as a base. Then made them up using pepakura & layering with architectural cardboard & coating with smooth cast for the construction.

ImageImageImageImage

The knee darts were made using Raf's templates as reference. I went for a light weight scratch build. I used .750" diameter tubing. Pressed 1/2" diameter PVC tubing inside. The actual diameter of this is .630". Then used 7/16" diameter wooden dowel pressed into the I.D. of the PVC tubing. I angled the mounting face & placed a 1/4" threaded stud in the darts to bolt up to the knee armor.

ImageImage

All the armor pieces are painted & the cod piece & back belt plate are started in the paint process.

ImageImage

EE-3 Blaster: I had a complete build thread on this which was all done as a scratch build.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/s...-ee-3-a-47899/

Shins tools bought the Patterson squeegee & stirrer, modified both to make the sonic beam tool & survival knife. Took the cut off piece from the squeegee to use on the anti-security blade. For the paddle piece I took 2 pieces of .100 inch thick plastic & epoxied them together. Once they were glued & dry I cut them to the shape required. Then glued this into the piece from the Patterson squeegee. Using 2 Exacto knife holders for the round pieces. I cut them down to length. Re-tapped the hole on the knurled end & used a 1/4" x 20 socket head cap screw to hold the knurled piece to the main body. Taking a sheet metal screw & ground the threads off. The hex shape was epoxied in the cavity at the end of the knurl to create a cap. Drilled 2 holes in the outer piece. I did have to fill in 2 grooves. Opting to then paint these I did some weathering per reference photos. Then wrapped the electric tape around it.

The jetpack adjustment tool was made from scratch using some PVC, wooden dowel, & .100" thick plastic. Tried to make it close to reference photos. This is actually painted but haven't taken any pics of it yet.
ImageImage

Jumpsuit, flak vest, ankle spats, belt pouches, ammo belt, gloves & boots are all MOW. I need to dye & weather them at this point.

Wookie braids & cape are from Woodman.
Last edited by toolguy301 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Buetsch
Boba Fett (ROTJ) & Jodo Kast
BH-21273 MWG
MMC Nexu Clan Canon & Legend Brigades

Coin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 12108

Re: ROTJ Boba Fett WIP

Post by Coin »

I have to say, every time I see it I'm more impressed, can't wait to troop next to it!
DZ-12108
Kim Worley

TS826
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 826

Post by TS826 »

Amazing.

No other word.

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you both for those kinds words. This has become a labor of love & I can't wait to get my Fett completed. Getting close.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Atrek
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 82659

Post by Atrek »

Awesome! I can't wait to see this once you are done. :shock:
IC-82659
Reserve Pilot (TI)/Imperial Bridge Crewman (IC)

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been getting my jepack ready for paint. Got some primer on it, spot filled & did some block sanding to smooth it out. I am hoping to start painting the main body this weekend.

The bottom grate piece was made from architectural cardboard & layered to give depth. Didn't take any pics of prior to gluing it to the body of the jetpack.

Worked on the details on the rocket. I used the rims from plastic cups to make the small thin rings. The collar piece towards the top of the rocket, I used a medicine bottle lid to give the vertical spline. Need to finish the tip with the 3 vertical strips & have some filling & sanding left to do.

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by toolguy301 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

TS826 wrote:Amazing.

No other word.
^ This.

:thumbs:

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 542

Post by Mr Fett »

Arcturus1020 wrote:
TS826 wrote:Amazing.

No other word.
^ This.

:thumbs:
Right there with ya. This is an amazing job.

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you for the thumbs up & the kind words guys.

I finished up the 3 straight pieces on the rocket using plastic trim for 1/8" fiberglass sheeting. Used epoxy putty to fill in the center to make it solid and attached it to the rocket. Sanded it and blended it in.

Painted the body of the jetpack, rocket, & thrusters with silver & cleared it to begin the rest of the paint process. I have found the putting a clear on the metallic paints helps adhesion of the rest of the paint.

Almost completed with the paint on both the rocket & thrusters. Thought I would start with the smaller pieces & get them done first before tackling the body of the pack. The rocket is pretty much complete have to do some minute weathering & clear coat it. The thrusters have some more work to be done but they are getting there.

ImageImage
Last edited by toolguy301 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Finished up the painting on the thruster, but need to give them a coat of clear. Then onto the main body of the jetpack.

ImageImage
Last edited by toolguy301 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Started painting the main body of the jetpack. Have the white & yellow done with some misting of browns & grays for some weathering. Still have some finish weathering that I plan on doing once all the colors are done. Not too sure if I am happy with the yellow color, thinking it needs to be more orange. May do some work on that some more. Plan on doing the blue next.

ImageImage
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Got the blue painted onto the jetpack with some light weathering of gray & black misted.

ImageImageImage
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been busy got the red paint onto the jetpack. Need to finish up the top & bottom of the fuel tanks & then onto some fine weathering detail. Plus I plan on painting all the symbols & stripes instead of using decals.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by toolguy301 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

BLUERAM
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4265

Post by BLUERAM »

Very nice! I'm glad you told me of the thread, sorry I missed it earlier.

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 2875

Post by Chicagovader1975 »

Amazing! just astounding work sir!

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

That's how you Fett.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Holidays slowed progress down for me on this but started doing some work on my soft parts. Playing chemist with the RIT dye trying different colors to get what I want. Definitely some trial & error.

Put a hold on painting since it has been so cold. Hoping we can stay above freezing so I can finish up the last few bit of painting.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

iceburgh
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9442

Post by iceburgh »

Holy Fett!!! Nice work. :)
Chris
aka Iceburgh / Lunchbox

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you for the kind words.

Started dyeing my MOW soft parts. Have the belt pouches & the spats done but need to be weathered.

The flight suit is in process.

Did take some time while it was cold out & spent some time on the computer. I drew up a 3D model for the toe spikes to be 3D printed which I received today from Shapeways. I designed them to fit the MOW 2013 boots that I have. The toe on these boots is different than any of the templates that have been done. Used Raf's template as a reference for rough sizes as well as scaling reference photos but had to make deviations to the spikes & angles in order to fit the toe shape of the boots. I had them done in a polished aluminide to give it a metallic look. I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

ImageImageImageImage
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Got in the shoulder attachments that I designed up & had 3D printed. They are printed in the polished aluminide like the toe plate & spikes. Pretty impressed with quality of the 3D printing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG