Stormtrooper Armor

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

WallonVau
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Stormtrooper Armor

Post by WallonVau »

I've been a die hard Star Wars fan ever since I was five. I always thought stormtroopers were awesome and always routed for them over the Rebels lol. Now I am wanting my own set of armor. The only thing is I'm a college student and don't have like 600 bucks to drop on a set of armor. I've heard that the 501st guys sometimes sell theirs when they get new armor, but I could not find any. It also seems like that many websites when searching around lead to dead ends. So is there anywhere to get some for a reasonable price? If not I want to build my own. The only problem there is that I am not one of those people that can look at something and automatically know how to build it. If I were to build my own I would need blue prints and instructions.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: Stormtrooper Armor

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Sadly, a kit hasn't gone for 350 bucks since I joined the forums 4 years ago, TK at least. I bought my ATA kit in late '08 and it was 350. The median range now is anywhere from 500-750. I am sorry but it just look like you have to wait and save, and I heartily recommend ATA.

I would strongly advise not making your own for approval sakes. It will cost you more in the long run, and not be durable, or accurate. It was tough for me to save 1k in Highschool to become a TK back in 2010, but it was the best decision of my life.

Buckle up and save, get in contact with ATAworks@yahoo.com (there is a 7 month wait right now, but that should give you time to save up for a kit.)
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

WallonVau
Imperial Recruit

Post by WallonVau »

Ok thanks. I think for now I am going to go with some Mandalorian armor. I found a set that is in my price range and I always thought they were coolest Star Wars characters. Also does ATA have a website?

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

The Mando Merc IL clan is Nexus Clan, and they have a facebook page.

Mark Berry aka BLUERAM is a great point of contact to start with here on our forums.

ATA has no page, but a growing section of FISD wears ATA. It has become the go-to armor in the Legion.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 265

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

You are better off buying the kit from our makers for $600 and putting it together yourself. Because of all the work involved in assembling a kit it will cost you over $1500 for a finished suit. There are plenty of tutorials on our FISD site with how to build the kit to exact movie specifications down to the rivets.

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 265

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

Are you looking to buy to join the Legion or to just obtain a suit?

WallonVau
Imperial Recruit

Post by WallonVau »

I would like to do both at some point but the only problem is that I'm from Kentucky and there didn't appear to be any garrisons near me.

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

WallonVau wrote:I would like to do both at some point but the only problem is that I'm from Kentucky and there didn't appear to be any garrisons near me.
You do have a local garrison for kentucky, it's the MidSouth Garrison, here's there site: http://midsouthgarrison.com/

Also, here's the 501st page which lists all the garrisons, outposts and detachments. http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons

The detachments sites are the forums for all the different costume groups, stormtroopers, bounty hunters, scouts, officers, ect ect. You can find a lot of information by joining the detachment forums and introducing yourself and browsing the links for information. I would also recommend joining your local garrison site as well, you may find a member close to you who can assist you. :thumbs:
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

WallonVau
Imperial Recruit

Post by WallonVau »

Ok thanks I'll look em up. And I dont have to be a 501st member to join the forum do I?

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

WallonVau wrote:Ok thanks I'll look em up. And I dont have to be a 501st member to join the forum do I?
You should be able to join the forums, however there will be some areas you wont be able to access until you become a member. But you can join the forums, and get to know some people as you begin your journey. :thumbs:
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

BLUERAM
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4265

Post by BLUERAM »

Here is a link to the Blue Moon clan http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?board=151.0, they cover Kentucky for the Merc side of things. No matter what direction you go Imperial, Merc, or something else... research, research, research! Research is your friend, it will save you time, money, and disappointment and doing this before you start will prepare you for what is in store for you in your journey.

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 71463

Post by DarSec »

I'm in the same boat as you. Die hard fan since 14 ( since Star Wars first came out). Cash and time are the only deterrents. Maybe some TKs and 501s can offer us newbs and wannabees some tips on how to over come these obstacles, get armor, join up, and make a difference.
Darrell S