Hello from Northwest Chicagoland

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

progressbarloading
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hello from Northwest Chicagoland

Post by progressbarloading »

Hello to all,

I've been watching the 501st from a distance for years, trying to find the right time to join. Engineer by trade and metalworker by hobby, so I had an Anovos TK kit ready to start on in California before I got transferred for work. With Celebration coming, decided it was time to double my efforts and join up as an officer or two.

I'm planning on building out a Bridge Crew so I have something moving quickly, but as I'm finally taking some sewing classes I'm setting a stretch goal of making my own Line Officer (ESB) from scratch. I just joined the IOC forums, so chances are you'll find me between here and there getting things together and ideally starting to talk with the GMLs here before I make something unapprovable.

Looking forward to working with all of you, and officially joining the Garrison in short order.

-Ryan

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1692

Re: Hello from Northwest Chicagoland

Post by Dirty Scout »

Welcome Ryan!

You have a great group of folks that would be willing to help you out. You'll be getting some messages from our Welcome Group shortly and then an invite to a facebook group where we have mentors that will guide you along your path. Hawk Worley is a great mentor with IOC cadets and he can guide you along the way.

Once again, welcome to the MWG
Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

River
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3166

Post by River »

Dirty Scout wrote:Welcome Ryan!

You have a great group of folks that would be willing to help you out. You'll be getting some messages from our Welcome Group shortly and then an invite to a facebook group where we have mentors that will guide you along your path. Hawk Worley is a great mentor with IOC cadets and he can guide you along the way.

Once again, welcome to the MWG
Exactly what Kent said! LOL,
Welcome aboard trooper, glad to have you among us!

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

-River
TROOP! For a cause. What do YOU troop for?

progressbarloading
Imperial Recruit

Post by progressbarloading »

Thanks guys.

I guess the first thing to ask is - when and how do I reach out to the GMLs as I build? Considering I'll be scratch-making instead of buying a few major items, I want to be sure I'm not starting off with unapprovable materials, etc. Should I be:
  • Emailing them as I start the builds
  • Starting Build threads in this forum
  • Just working with detachment advisors and sending emails to introduce myself with approval photos after I have a full costume
  • Something else?

River
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3166

Post by River »

progressbarloading wrote:Thanks guys.

I guess the first thing to ask is - when and how do I reach out to the GMLs as I build? Considering I'll be scratch-making instead of buying a few major items, I want to be sure I'm not starting off with unapprovable materials, etc. Should I be:
  • Just working with detachment advisors and sending emails to introduce myself with approval photos after I have a full costume
  • Something else?
The best resource we have here is Steve Gaza or 'Gazmosis"

He's our go-to for TK builds. and has even been a huge voice in The White Armor.net website.

I would say reach out to him. I would shoot him a PM first.
Hope this helps,
-RIver
TROOP! For a cause. What do YOU troop for?

Garrison Membership Liaison
Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

progressbarloading wrote:Thanks guys.

• Something else?
You can reach out to us anytime during your build. We have some resources which may be of value to you, which we can discuss over emails. Drop us a line at gml.midwestgarrison@gmail.com, and Phil or I will get back to you...
We need no longer fear the banana.