Joining from Southern Illinois

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

db8009
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Joining from Southern Illinois

Post by db8009 »

So, introductions...

I go by DB and I live in Southern Illinois (Perry county). I am in my mid 50s and work as a consultant at a tech company that you have probably heard of. I have reached a point in my life (kids grown, career stable) where I can take my foot off of the gas a bit and pick up some hobbies, but I suddenly realized that I have none. In searching around for something that I can do to to scratch my midlife crisis short of buying a convertible or motorcycle, I ran across the 501st. One of the things that caught my eye was the support of children's charities. The Ronald McDonald house was a beacon of light during a very dark time in my life, and I have supported that charity ever since then. If I can fulfill my lifelong fantasy of becoming Darth Vader and help children's charities, then count me in.

I saw the original Star Wars back when it premiered and have been enamored with it ever since. In either 1977 or 1978, I made my own Darth Vader costume for halloween. I am pretty sure that it would not have been 501st approved, but I was pretty proud of it. I spent what was (for me) a kings ransom to get a "real" Darth Vader helmet to wear (and I still have it after all these years.) Ever since then, I have been wanting to make an authentic Darth Vader costume to wear but haven't had the time. Now, however, I find myself with more dollars than sense and am wanting to go for it, and at 6'3" I think I can pull it off. I have also been looking at doing a stormtrooper, but I am leaning towards Vader right now.

My wife and I have done reenacting of the French & Indian War era so I know what goes into making appropriate clothing. I've done some sewing, woodworking, and leatherworking, but not a lot of working with plastics so I will probably need a lot of handholding on any helmet and armor builds as I go. I've got a workbench in the basement ready for any projects that may come and I am eager to get started.

Thanks to anyone who is still reading. I am looking forward to being a part of this community and hope that I can contribute in some small way.

Lucky
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 13132

Re: Joining from Southern Illinois

Post by Lucky »

Welcome to the Midwest Garrison!

Darth Vader will defiantly keep you busy for awhile, but the end result should prove very rewarding. If you have not already done so, check out http://www.501stsithlords.com They will have all the resources you need to get you started on your path to the Dark Side.
Jeff
TK 13132

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

Welcome DB,

I live in Monticello and it's been years since I've been to southern Illinois. I used to go to Duquoin for the flea market when I went to SIU.

If you have any questions about Vader, feel free to ask me. I've been costuming as him for quite a while now.
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1692

Post by Dirty Scout »

Welcome DB!

Are you on Facebook? The Central Illinois area has a private facebook group and we can add you to it and a group for armor parties.

Kent
Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

Garrison Membership Liaison
Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

Welcome DB!

Best of luck with your journey to making Vader, definitely a cool choice! Now, getting all the pieces to make a Vader ensemble will definitely take some time (and dollars). If you are seeking to get involved trooping sooner, you should also consider doing a second costume, and one that can be assembled easier and for less funding. There are several options, which you can get approved, so you can start joining us in all the charity troops we do (and join in the fun doing so). Picking up a black flightsuit is the base of six different costume varients (Imperial Bridge Crew, Imperial Navy Trooper, Imperial Gunner, TIE Pilot: Reserve and TIE Pilot: ANH or ROTJ). A few other varying pieces, and you can make any one of those, and begin trooping. Check out the CRL (Costume Reference Library) on the 501st Legion website, and see if anything else might appeal to you. But of course, you don't have to deviate, and concentrate on your Vader. :) Make sure you register at the Sith Lord Detachment too, where you can get tons of information on your Vader journey. You can link to them off of the 501st Legion website...

Again, welcome, and looking forward to seeing your progress.
We need no longer fear the banana.

Sentry71
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 11146

Post by Sentry71 »

Welcome to the garrison, DB! I am also in southern IL, a little northwest of you near St Louis. You picked a great hobby to be a part of!

Working on plastic isn't as difficult as it may seem at first, but a little guidance goes a long way. Whatever you decide to do, definitely post up here and let us get you on the right path!