Hello from Central IL

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

DDurbin95
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hello from Central IL

Post by DDurbin95 »

Greetings all
My names Devon (19) and I'm looking into joining the 501st. I've been a fan of Star Wars since I can remember. First time I saw one of the films was when I was 3. Every time i visited my grandparents first thing i would do wasn't to greet my grandparetns, nope, it was to their VCR and i'd immediately want to watch Star Wars. :lol:
Anyway, I've know about the 501st for a while, thanks to YouTube and pictures of Star Wars Celebration, and I decided I'd finally like to join up. This past week I got on the official 501st website, saw there was a garrison here in IL and immediately got into contact with you guys.
I went looking through the character costume reference library and I think I found one that I like. Its the Stormtrooper, ANH Hero. However after doing some armor research I've found that for me the AM armor would work best. (Im 6ft and about 295lbs). But i do have a few questions. Am i correct to say that the AM armor would fit me best, or is their another? and does the ANH Hero come in a AM? and if i got the AM kit would i still need to do modifications to make it be approved for ANH Hero?
Also whats the best way to obtain a kit or build one? I saw there is a detachment site specifically for Stormtroopers but since this would be my local garrison i wanted to ask you guys first. On a side note, Im a full time college student, with not a lot of extra money, so for someone like me whats the best way/option of getting an armor kit?

I apologize, if its a lot of questions. I'm new to the whole experience and as you could probably guess, excited about the prospect of joining.

Thanks in advance
-Devon D

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Re: Hello from Central IL

Post by SL9965 »

Hi Devon. I live in Monticello about an hour away from you. Someone more knowledgeable about the current stormtrooper armor can help you with the type to get. I know more about Vader and clone armor.

Getting the armor on a budget can be tough. If you can save money and get the kit, you can then add pieces as go. Parts like Under Armour, a blaster, boots, gloves, etc. are a lot less expensive. You may want to consider a different costume at first. I know that, thanks to Kim and Hawk, sandperson costumes are an affordable alternative. You could join and participate, while working on your TK. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to the boards.
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

DDurbin95
Imperial Recruit

Post by DDurbin95 »

Thanks!

When i first decided to join up one of my first thoughts was getting a Vader costume but then i figured why not go classic and go the Stormtrooper route.
although ill look into the sandpeople detachment.

As for the blaster i did see something about buying a Hasbro E-11 and then getting a conversion kit for it. and i read before that a 2-piece under armor set works for the TK. A problem for me though might be the boots. Now i have a pair of work boots but i dont think they'd work even if i did modify them. I can post a pic of them if needed. See for me getting footgear is tough, Im a size 15 4E. yeah yeah i know big foot lol.

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1692

Post by Dirty Scout »

Welcome.

the other easy option in first beginning costume is an imperial crewman, the black crew jumpsuit is the basis for several costumes including TIE PILOT and Imperial Gunner. Crew or Sandperson is a nice mostly softparts costume that are easy to wear and comfortable, great intro costumes, and great fall back costumes if the armor starts to pinch or you just get over heated.

You have some great help in the Champaign area with Chip, Ryan, Tom.

Kent
Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Post by BigPapaKev »

Shelbyville? Been fishing there quite a few times when I was a teenager. (a long time ago…) Welcome to the boards. Should find lots of troopers with experience building the iconic Stormtrooper. Make sure to keep your eyes on the calendar to see if you can make an event that may be close to you. You've been to the detachment page and now here so your off on the right foot. Remember, measure twice, cut once.

Keven
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

DDurbin95
Imperial Recruit

Post by DDurbin95 »

Thanks for the pointers guys.

its been a lot of info to sort though on my own so i really appreciate the help.

If I came to where i couldn't afford a TK kit then a crewmen would be the next best thing, i think.

Editied: 1/24/15 3:03pm

Ok so i did some more digging and heres what i got:

On whitearmor.net, it meantion that in order to get a kit i would need to email the creator, correct?

Type: AM
Kit: .090 gauge ABS - trimmed - Fan sculpt
Availability: Expect 1-2 months
Assembly: Butt joining required for the legs. Arms can be overlapped but trimming those overlaps off and butt joining is recommended. Comes trimmed out of the box, but you will still be required to trim for fitness to your body size.
Comments: An updated version of the older AM kits with a more accurate helmet and some other accessories. Best suited for the larger troopers who can have problems fitting into screen-sized kits. Comes in full or "lite" kits. Lit kits come without helmet, ABS cement or polish.
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/1 ... find-them/

Its that all i need to do? Just email this guy and say I'd like a Am ANH-Stormtrooper armor?