Reporting in from Central Illinois

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Post by Huntzman »

Hi everyone, I was referred over here through FISD and looking forward to becoming a full-fledged member of the unit one day.

I have to admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I doubt that is new to anyone. I've spent a couple of weeks over at FISD going through the posts, trying learn as much as I can. I think I hit the point where my brain has turned into gel. Some fantastic threads and I am still trying to process everything.

First a little about myself. I'm a transplant to the midwest, arriving here about ten years ago from New York City where I was born and raised. Star Wars has run through my veins since I first saw the movie back in the summer of 77.

I've always toyed with the idea of geting involved in the 501st, since I first learned about the group more than a decade ago, but it seemed real life always had a different path for me to go down. Growing up, I always thought of myself as an odd-ball, because, while my friends wants to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, the idea of donning a Stormtrooper bucket sounded more appealing to me. I actually have an original Don Post one I picked up from Rubies when they first came out.

So here I am, just turned 50, and thought what the hell: You Only Live Once. I've done WWII military re-enacting before, so I know the expense / effort that goes into it. This is an opportunity for me to re-connect with my youth, in a way that wasn't available back then. The nice thing is that my wife is actually interested in doing it as well.

Obviously I have all the newbie questions and am a little intimidated with the idea of 'builidng' my armor. I'm also 6'2" and 225lbs, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with 1st hand knowledge about larger size armor suits. I've been leaning towards a RT-Mod, but someone at FISD also mentioned that AM did a larger kit as well.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

hitman
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8596

Re: Reporting in from Central Illinois

Post by hitman »

Welcome

I knew you would find your way here :D

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know some of the locals !!

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Post by BigPapaKev »

Welcome, from one of the "locals." (Washington). The guys have been pretty busy in this area hosting armor parties several times a month. Don't be afraid to ask for help or questions. Plenty of new and old timers willing to assist.
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Thanks for the kind welcome, Kev. Good to know about the armor parties. When the time comes, I for one could use all the help I can get. It's one thing to hear the description of how to build things, and even to see the pics, but it's another thing entirely when you're holding the piece in your hand and worried about screwing it up. Always good to have experienced hands guiding you !! Yeah, you're only about 90 minutes from me, I used to go up to the Peoria area a lot.

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Post by BigPapaKev »

As a relative noob, I'll tell you those 1st cuts are the most nerve-racking. Once you get going you'll be dremmeling the heck out of things.
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Yeah, I look at some of the builds over at FISD and I have to admit it is intimidating. I imagine after doing it, your nerves do begin to settle.

Hoping to maybe hook up with someone around here and take a peek at their armor up close and get an idea as to the way the returns, edges and such are done.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Okay, so I was going through the email that I received from RT-Mod, and he listed a bunch of measurements. That got me thinking, the bicep measurement listed was 16" and I'm 17". Since I lift weights, I would guess-timate that I will be at the larger end of the chart. Anyone here have experience with wearing larger armor and having to add shims?

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

Huntzman wrote:Okay, so I was going through the email that I received from RT-Mod, and he listed a bunch of measurements. That got me thinking, the bicep measurement listed was 16" and I'm 17". Since I lift weights, I would guess-timate that I will be at the larger end of the chart. Anyone here have experience with wearing larger armor and having to add shims?

right now i have shims on the back of my thighs and ab/kidney armor. since i do not have RT armor, just the bucket, i can't say for sure how much more plastic on the arms that will be there that you would not have to trim off.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

I think I might be leaning toward the MTK armor build. Not sure how long it will be with RT-Mod, but he is not even taking orders till after the 1st of the year. I'm assuming it will be awhile.

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

I believe RT-Mod still has a 1 year wait. I would suggest trying to get some info from AM as well.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Sounds good, will follow-up with MTK and AM.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Heard back from Mike at MTK, looks like his armor might be just on the small size for me. At least not without a fair amount of shimming.

Anyone have experience with AM armor that is in the 6'2" 220lb range ?

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

Huntzman wrote:Heard back from Mike at MTK, looks like his armor might be just on the small size for me. At least not without a fair amount of shimming.

Anyone have experience with AM armor that is in the 6'2" 220lb range ?
I have AM. I'll try to get you a link of the pics I have.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Just out of curiosity, are there any issues with the AM helmet ? In doing my research I have heard others remark that they went with the 'lite' kit, indicating they went bucket less on their order. Wasn't sure if there was a problem with the helmet itself, or something else.

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

I am not sure on the the new AM armor. The older version of the armor you did have to find a different helmet. I will ask around a bit & see what I can find.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Thanks, would be interesting to know if there are any issues with the 2.0 version.

hitman
501st Member
501st Member

Post by hitman »

The armor itself is 100% better than the original, so going for centurion would not be an issue with it.

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

Good to know. I'm hoping his wait time is not as bad as RT-Mod !!

Huntzman
Imperial Recruit

Post by Huntzman »

AH, just realized that the AM helmet is one of the 3-piece ones. Might have to opt for a different one, as I don't personally like the look of the TK helmet with the seam running along the back.