New member from East Peoria IL

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

hyperguyver2
Rebel Legion Member
4poziom.waw.pl

New member from East Peoria IL

Post by hyperguyver2 »

Hello everyone I'm Jim from East Peoria and am looking to get out and troop with all the local members. Its been a life long dream to be able to dress up as a stormtrooper. I'm very big when it comes to costuming or for a local con or just for the fun of it. Currently I am an active Ghostbusters cosplayer, and have scratch built my own iron man armor out of eva foam as well as a few superhero costumes in the making. Currently I am wanting to get my TK certification but due to strict regulations I'm not sure where to look for armor in my size (i stand at 6ft tall and weighing in at an average beween 200 and 215lbs with a little bit of gut.) I look forward to getting everything and getting out there with you guys.
Troopers don't die, they go to hell and regroup

BigPapaKev
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9255

Re: New member from East Peoria IL

Post by BigPapaKev »

Glad to see you found your way to our web page. Plenty of TK experts here to answer your questions. Maybe even a few with experience working around a belly,lol. Welcome.
Sorry Lord Vader but the ability to destroy a planet IS significant.

Boushh823
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 82371

Post by Boushh823 »

Welcome Jim. Maybe I will get to troop with you one day. :D
Shannon Buetsch
BH-82371
Boushh823

hyperguyver2
Rebel Legion Member

Post by hyperguyver2 »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys I'm excited to be here amongst fellow wars fans. I've looked over the armor makers list and I have to say it was an intimidating read, so many choices, I already know I would prefer a high impact thermo formed ABS suit I just need to know who would be best to contact so I can figure out costs. As for a helmet I may actually consider fiberglass for a combination of weight, strength and sharp details. If anyone has an idwa as to who to contact that would be fantastic!

uoresu
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 92711

Post by uoresu »

:thumbs: welcome :thumbs:

beans
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 4541

Post by beans »

Hi Jim!! Welcome to the MWG forum :)

Sounds like you probably already made your way there, but if you haven't already made your way to the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment, make sure you get registered there and start looking around. There is a ton of info on the different TK kits available, examples of how to size them, and lots of pictures of other people's tk builds. I'll send you a PM with a couple of particularly helpful threads. None of these are fiberglass, but I think many of our TK's have added fiberglass on the inside of their helmets to reinforce.

To my knowledge, the kits made for larger frames would be RT-Mod and AM (the new version of FX). RT-Mod is closer to movie accurate than AM, but last I heard RT might have a couple month wait time. You might want to reach out to one of our TK mentors, Gazmosis, for advice. He is well versed in the different makers and would be an excellent resource as you choose your armor.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Hey there!
If you're looking for some one-on-one advice, send a PM to either Solcar23 or gazmosis, either here or on the FISD forums. They're both chicago TKs who are part of the MWG mentoring program and the FISD attache' program. There are several members down in Peoria who could provide hands-on help, as well!
Feel free to use this thread to post photos of your build or simply keep us informed of your progress. If you've got specific questions about how to do something, you can post those here, too. :)

Best of luck in the build, and hope you're trooping soon!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

hyperguyver2
Rebel Legion Member

Post by hyperguyver2 »

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome. I have not register on the FIS yet and I have a pretty good feeling that I may need to before anyone will even talk to me about selling armor. If there is anyone in peoria who would be able to help me out that would be greatly appreciated but since my apartment was one of the buildings hit by sundays tornados Im gunna be strapped for a while :(

hitman
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8596

Post by hitman »

Fleetfang wrote:Hey there!
If you're looking for some one-on-one advice, send a PM to either Solcar23 or gazmosis, either here or on the FISD forums. They're both chicago TKs who are part of the MWG mentoring program and the FISD attache' program. There are several members down in Peoria who could provide hands-on help, as well!
Feel free to use this thread to post photos of your build or simply keep us informed of your progress. If you've got specific questions about how to do something, you can post those here, too. :)

Best of luck in the build, and hope you're trooping soon!
You forgot that I am an attaché as well..

Welcome to the boards!

BLUERAM
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4265

Post by BLUERAM »

Sorry to year about your apartment :( Once. your ready I can help you with your build. I have a little shop at my house in Pekin. BTW I'm Mark, I meet you at the EP Library event and we exchanged a few emails.

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1692

Post by Dirty Scout »

Welcome to the MWG and it great to see another member in the Interstate Crossroads area of Illinois (I-80 /I-74/ I- 474/ I-155/I-39 / I-57 / I-55) Mark Berry is very helpful in getting you started and helping to build your kit. I can help with some things too. I'm Kent.
Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

hyperguyver2
Rebel Legion Member

Post by hyperguyver2 »

TK1692 wrote:Welcome to the MWG and it great to see another member in the Interstate Crossroads area of Illinois (I-80 /I-74/ I- 474/ I-155/I-39 / I-57 / I-55) Mark Berry is very helpful in getting you started and helping to build your kit. I can help with some things too. I'm Kent.
BLUERAM wrote:Sorry to year about your apartment :( Once. your ready I can help you with your build. I have a little shop at my house in Pekin. BTW I'm Mark, I meet you at the EP Library event and we exchanged a few emails.
Thanks again for the support. It was great seeing everyone who was at the local Barnes and Noble doing the book drive today. Currently I'm talking to ATA about a set of armor, but I'm looking at an 8 to 9 month waiting period. once I have the kit made ill definately keep you guys in mind when it comes time to construct it!

Sarge
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 6074

Post by Sarge »

Hey Jim!

Glad to see you're making some progress and at least connecting with other members for advice. This is the first of many steps in constructing armor. It is a daunting task, but in the end it is great to be able to sit back and breathe. There are multiple armor makers in the legion that could provide you with the correct fit. Do not sweat the fitting aspect, there are troopers of all sizes that fit in TK armor.

Anyways, Good luck, and I hope to see you at a future troop.